Carnivorous Plants Riparium Style? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Riparium Supply

Old 06-11-2013, 02:13 AM   #16
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunknDestroy View Post
From my experience growing carnivorous plants many would not do well in a riparium. They are extremely prone to root burn from their soil having too much nitrogen. That's why they became carnivorous in the first place. The bogs and swamps they come from have very nutrient poor mediums.
I agree with this general idea. If you were to try to keep carnivorous plants with fish you would want to use a very light bio-load.

Many carnivorous plants also generally prefer to be outdoors with bright and very airy conditions and they suffer if you keep them for very long indoors.

Carnivorous plants also tend to have limited foliage--they don't need much leaf area for photosynthesis--so it would also be hard to get them to fill in and cover up the riparium planters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 02:17 AM   #17
PunknDestroy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

+1 on this. Not only that but they grow incredibly slowly. I believe it takes something like 3 years from seed to flower in many of the plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
I agree with this general idea. If you were to try to keep carnivorous plants with fish you would want to use a very light bio-load.

Many carnivorous plants also generally prefer to be outdoors with bright and very airy conditions and they suffer if you keep them for very long indoors.

Carnivorous plants also tend to have limited foliage--they don't need much leaf area for photosynthesis--so it would also be hard to get them to fill in and cover up the riparium planters.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:28 AM   #18
MMantelli
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Just found a cool website to buy carivourous plants am I allowed to post a link to it. Not sure on the rule about that in this forum. I think in order to hide the areas above the intake and return on my diy t hob riparium build above it a place to plant some carnivourous plants.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:46 AM   #19
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

If I were to try something like this with carnivorous plants I would build it as a paludarium instead of a riparium. I think that this would work out better.

Here's a pretty great example of a paludarium type setup with pitcher plants.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=194752&page=4

He used a real nice dirftwood stump and a lot of technique in that setup.

Last edited by hydrophyte; 06-11-2013 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: edit
Old 06-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #20
Acro
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)

That is a really cool tank.

And I have to remind most of you; don't be doubters.
In life, one always hears: "It will be difficult", "It can't be done", "I don't think it would work", and then someone does it, and it is amazing.
Look for what will work, what could work and offer those ideas.
I'm sure someone once said "Riparian plants won't grow in an aquarium!".

As Ben Hawkins said in the show Carnivāle: "Everything's impossible, 'til it ain't".