Killifish - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #16
du3ce
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

make sure u have a lid on your tank they are notorious jumpers
du3ce is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #17
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (109/100%)

Here are some pics of the fry setup. No fry in the main tank. I float the trays ontop for temp. That's a 5 gallon tank.

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

75G High Tech
Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #18
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

What do you think? Think that setup will work for fry? Or should I just dump them in the tank with tons of Java Moss?

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

75G High Tech
Old 05-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #19
dtejeda.arias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Subscribed! I just purchased some eggs on aquabid and will need as much help as possible to get these guys to grow. I was thinking on doing micro worms for culture and BBS when they got a little older and become more agile and active swimmers.

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda
dtejeda.arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:15 AM   #20
macquisition76
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I had a. Striatum and f. Scheeli a few years ago. The brine shrimp seemed to big for mine at first. But they seemed to do well with either Microworms or vinegar eels. When they grew some I switched them to brine.
macquisition76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #21
keithy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

from what I have read, these guys grow fast and hence demands a lot of food. The hard part is to be able to feed regularly and making the slow partial water changes.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:56 AM   #22
Chaoslord
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

What your doing will work. If you have no other fish in the tank their is no reason to use the containers. Just dump the eggs in with the java moss. If you want to keep a close eye on them keep them in the containers. Just change out the water frequently.
Once mine hatch i just keep them in a breeder box in the tank their going in. That way once they reach size i can just release them.
To feed i hatch brine shrimp. I do rinse them with tank water before i feed. I also put a drop of liquid baby vitamins in the bbs before i feed. I also use Golden pearls at 100 microns.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #23
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaoslord View Post
What your doing will work. If you have no other fish in the tank their is no reason to use the containers. Just dump the eggs in with the java moss. If you want to keep a close eye on them keep them in the containers. Just change out the water frequently.
Once mine hatch i just keep them in a breeder box in the tank their going in. That way once they reach size i can just release them.
To feed i hatch brine shrimp. I do rinse them with tank water before i feed. I also put a drop of liquid baby vitamins in the bbs before i feed. I also use Golden pearls at 100 microns.
I thought I shouldn't go water changes on the fry trays?

75G High Tech
Old 05-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #24
Chaoslord
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
I thought I shouldn't go water changes on the fry trays?
When i didn't change out the water i would get fungus on the eggs. They would never develope. There is Gardenia breeder who i conferred with. He told me to change the water out every day. Never had an issue with fungus since.

If you just dump the eggs in the tank i dont think you would have to worry about changing the water.

Edit
Just realized you said fry. I always put my fry in the tank there final home will be. I float them in a breeder box untill i can determine sex. I keep 1 male 2 female and release them into tank. I still do water changes on the tank i just dont disturb the breeder box.

Last edited by Chaoslord; 05-05-2013 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: add
Chaoslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:35 AM   #25
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

I got a batch of killi eggs from a firend that got them from an auction. I wet them an they were much bigger then the ones i have tried to raise! They have been eating BBS and have already doubled in size!

I am really looking forward to see how these guys turn out... He trashed the lable so I don't know what they are. I will post pics soon.

75G High Tech
Old 05-25-2013, 02:11 AM   #26
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

The batch that started eating BBS from the start are doing great! Over 1/2 an inch now.

The other batches I started later are munching on microworms. Lost a few but the others are growing well. Still not ready for BBS yet.

I will post some pics tomorrow.

75G High Tech

Last edited by Dempsey; 06-11-2013 at 01:03 AM.. Reason: edit
Old 06-11-2013, 12:27 AM   #27
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

Here are some pics. These guys grow fast!! Anyone have any idea what type these guys are?? They color up more and more each day so it might be hard to ID them just yet... Looking forward to see how they look when they are all filled in. They have bellies full of brine shrimp in the pics.

75G High Tech

Last edited by Dempsey; 06-11-2013 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: edit
Old 06-11-2013, 12:59 AM   #28
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Oh they are beautiful! Killis are so cool. Great job getting them to grow up a little!
Old 06-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #29
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
Oh they are beautiful! Killis are so cool. Great job getting them to grow up a little!
Thanks! I just wish I knew what they were...

75G High Tech
Old 06-11-2013, 01:14 AM   #30
Destroyer551
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/88%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
Here are some pics. These guys grow fast!! Anyone have any idea what type these guys are?? They color up more and more each day so it might be hard to ID them just yet... Looking forward to see how they look when they are all filled in. They have bellies full of brine shrimp in the pics.

They look like peacock gudeons (A goby?) to me.
Destroyer551 is offline   Reply With Quote