newbie here
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 01-09-2004, 05:39 PM   #1
wendyv
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi everyone, just found this site I have a 75 gallon aquarium with 2- 40watt full spectrum lights (4 ft. flourescents) and 2 3 ft.. flourescents, one an aqua glow and one a power glow - 30 watts each. I started up the tank a couple of months ago, planted it with swords, java fern, some long thick grass type of plant (can't remember the name) and a few other plants. I have also stocked it with 9 orandas (not full grown) and a clown pleco. The plants looked like they were flourishing when I first put them in but now are getting this kind of brownish/dark green over the leaves and have almost stopped growing.

Not sure if you can see what I mean in these two pictures. Fish are doing really well. Also getting green algae on the front glass; the good kind; which is fine but this stuff on the plants really bugs me.
Anyone know why I am getting it; not enough light, too much, etc.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Wendy
wendyv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2004, 05:43 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Their growth has probably been stunted from lack of light. You've got 140 watts over your 75g, which makes for about 1.87 watts per gallon (wpg). You'll need at least 2-3wpg. I would add a All-Glass PC light strip with 2 x 55w bulbs. They're on sale for a little more than $100 at www.bigalsonline.com
Old 01-09-2004, 08:17 PM   #3
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

I would also look at your water, those fish are messy and I imagine your phosphate levels are through the roof compared to the other nutrients...

Jason
Old 01-10-2004, 06:08 AM   #4
Nordic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

does look like diatom algae.... any on the glass?

25 Gal. 54watt, DIY CO2 5 Angelfish, 1 male dwarf gourami + 2 females ,2 female betas, 3 albino corys, 2 pepper corys, 2 CAEs
15 gal. Dwarf gourami fry tank
10 Gal 3 variatus platies, 4 black sailfin mollies- 5 Gal guppy birth tank with dividers
5 Gal guppy frytank
1 Gal guppy frytank
40 Gal Pond with 10 female guppies, 1 male tons of fry.

On various pieces of furniture, 6 cats!
Nordic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2004, 04:19 PM   #5
wendyv
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone, we don't have phosphate testers in my neck of the woods; also no brown algae on the glass only good green stuff. I really like my fish; even if they are messy but I have cut down on my feeding; maybe feeding too much; there is some new plant growth, just not much. Tried making a homemade co2 generator using a 2 litre coke bottle yesterday, isn't working yet but they say it might take 3 days to get going, anyone have any info about them; they work, they don't? The web site where I got info from says they do? Don't have a lot of money to spend on the tank, so am trying to make what I can. Anyone have any more ideas for me to try?
I figured from what was said that if I did a water change; did that two weeks ago, my ammonia is perfect, so is my nitrites that I might make the brown algae grow more?
Thanks for any replies.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:50 PM   #6
Nordic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wendy if it doesn't get going in a few hours at the most, you most likeley are dealing with a small leak somewhere...

25 Gal. 54watt, DIY CO2 5 Angelfish, 1 male dwarf gourami + 2 females ,2 female betas, 3 albino corys, 2 pepper corys, 2 CAEs
15 gal. Dwarf gourami fry tank
10 Gal 3 variatus platies, 4 black sailfin mollies- 5 Gal guppy birth tank with dividers
5 Gal guppy frytank
1 Gal guppy frytank
40 Gal Pond with 10 female guppies, 1 male tons of fry.

On various pieces of furniture, 6 cats!
Old 01-11-2004, 12:15 AM   #7
wendyv
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply Nordic, I decided after reading some of the DIY postings to redo it; using two coke bottles and a smaller one in the middle. Started the yeast mix separately, just waiting for the one to bubble for the second bottle. I have some old testers and was checking out my water and it reads on an O2 test that at 25C I have 11 mg02 per litre of oxygen and on an C02 tester from Tetra that I found; didn't know I had; it isn't reading a color and it says that that means I have too much C02 in my tank:-(. So I don't know (these are old testers though, haven't bought any for years; so maybe not very reliable. My fish sure are perky with supposedly so much C02 in the tank. Now I am wondering if I can safely put this C02 unit on that took me days to make:-)
Old 01-11-2004, 04:18 AM   #8
Nordic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok Wendy, not optional, go out and buy a kH kit (try to get the tetra one, it was only about USD4 here) and a pH kit, then we can help you determine your CO2 content, (hopeing for no weird buffers).

Those CO2 kits are just not accurate or worth it.

BTW, mind making your avatar a bit smaller?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.