My treatment for spirogyra algae - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 12-31-2012, 10:24 PM   #16
jonathan
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I had this problem in a ten gallon aquarium with java moss, and I used Algaefix. Algae turned pink, then eventually white. It was dead and never actually went away. None of my fish would eat it. I ended up throwing everything it touched away.
jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #17
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

If you hit it with the proper dose of AlgaeFix, you won't have to trim or disposes of plants in my experience with it. Hate spiro.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:51 PM   #18
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

I haven't updated this thread in a while. The H2O2 treatment appeared to work for about a week and a half but I started seeing little green threads appearing again. This time I set up a quarantine tank and caught all my shrimp and quarantined them in the quarantine tank for the duration of the AlgaeFix treatment which did work. I used 3 treatments as per the directions on the bottle, 3 days apart, just to make sure I got rid of it before I left for Christmas break. This looks to have worked so far but I will know for sure when I get back to my apartment on Friday. I've had someone caring for the aquarium while I've been gone.

Lesson learned: try Algaefix first. Much less labor intensive and I saw improvement withing the first 3 days and throughout the whole treatement there was do noticeable damage to any of the plants or the moss.
AUvet14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:41 AM   #19
meowschwitz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

Will Algaefix kill off mosses/liverworts?
meowschwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:02 AM   #20
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowschwitz View Post
Can't say about liverworts, but it doesn't seem to harm mosses. Read this thread: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=197452
Old 01-01-2013, 06:22 AM   #21
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Thanks for sharing, I am going to subscribe because I am facing the same problem... still not sure if it is fixed :S
parrottbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #22
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrottbay View Post
Thanks for sharing, I am going to subscribe because I am facing the same problem... still not sure if it is fixed :S
Spiro is definitely a pain in the butt. I will try to update this thread when I get back to my aquarium on Friday. Hopefully there's no spirogyra left growing in it.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #23
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

H2O2 never eradicated it, I tried a few times.
Algaefix does kill it all.

Root issue needs solved 1st, mostly CO2 issues.
Current etc.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #24
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
H2O2 never eradicated it, I tried a few times.
Algaefix does kill it all.

Root issue needs solved 1st, mostly CO2 issues.
Current etc.
I understand that. Before I left, I increased CO2 as well as cleaned my diffuser, decreased photo-period, added a 1.5hr break in photo-period midday, thinned out what needed thinning, trimmed everything pretty heavily, I might also try raising my light a couple inches higher in the canopy to help reduce BBA growth as well. putting in my glass top has definitely had an effect on light intensity and BBA growth has slowed, but I still have 2 or 3 inches more that I can possibly raise the light to decrease or halt its growth. While I've been gone I've had someone coming to fertilize the tank each day and do water changes according to my normal maintenance schedule. I wish I had found your advice about AlgaeFix before I went through all that trouble with the H2O2. It worked remarkably well, apparent after the 2nd dose (6 days, dosed on day 1 and 4). I just did a 3rd dose to be safe. I was actually able to catch all of my shrimp and place them all in quarantine so I had no casualties.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #25
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

Update: While I was gone for Christmas break, my CO2 ran low, so I had an algae bloom. When I returned, the plants were completely overrun with hair algae, whether it be spirogyra or other types, as well as BBA. It appears that I didn't re-acclimate my shrimp adequately when I added them back to the tank right before I left and I guess they all died Since I got back last week, I've treated with AlgaeFix for 2 doses, one dose on the first day and one dose on the 4th day. It has nearly eliminated the hair algae. I will dose maybe once or twice more to try to get rid of it all, but the AlgaeFix worked wonders on the hair algae. Now I just have to figure out how to kill the BBA. Now that I have my CO2 back in order, I should be able to prevent further growth, but killing what is already there in my next task to conquer.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:59 AM   #26
seachaz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I'd been silently monitoring this thread as I too had an outbreak after uprooting some larger stem plants - I think the stirred up aquasoil was likely the cause. Anyway after trimming impacted plants plants, more frequent water changes, manually removing it and spot treatments with hydrogen peroxide (these all just kept it in check but didn't eliminate it) I finally succumbed to doing a blackout on the tank while I was out of town.

Before leaving did a very large water change, cleaned all the interior glass, filter intake and any large portions on the plants. Then blacked out the entire room for ~2.5 days except for 1/2 hour each day when I had some LEDs come to provide indirect light for the fish during their feeding. Tank appears clean of the stuff, now have to see if it stays that way when I go back to a normal light schedule. Fish and CRS survived, plants look pale but alive, dwarf hairgrass took the worst of it but should recover with time.

Last edited by seachaz; 03-09-2013 at 02:26 AM.. Reason: grammar
seachaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:26 AM   #27
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowschwitz View Post
No, they are very tolerant of it.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:27 AM   #28
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUvet14 View Post
I understand that. Before I left, I increased CO2 as well as cleaned my diffuser, decreased photo-period, added a 1.5hr break in photo-period midday, thinned out what needed thinning, trimmed everything pretty heavily, I might also try raising my light a couple inches higher in the canopy to help reduce BBA growth as well. putting in my glass top has definitely had an effect on light intensity and BBA growth has slowed, but I still have 2 or 3 inches more that I can possibly raise the light to decrease or halt its growth. While I've been gone I've had someone coming to fertilize the tank each day and do water changes according to my normal maintenance schedule. I wish I had found your advice about AlgaeFix before I went through all that trouble with the H2O2. It worked remarkably well, apparent after the 2nd dose (6 days, dosed on day 1 and 4). I just did a 3rd dose to be safe. I was actually able to catch all of my shrimp and place them all in quarantine so I had no casualties.
I suffered for years with it, beating it back was never easy. Possible, but took a lot of work. I often removed the infested plants which worked well also.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #29
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Still subscribed and did you ever combat the BBA? I now have that issue also... hahah
parrottbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #30
flowerfishs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (45/98%)

I have spirogyra and BBA in my tank too. Really want to kill them all. nasty look in my tank. trying to figure out the root issue, but also want to get rip of them as soo as possible, so I bought 3 platy from petsmart and put them in the tank to see if they really eat spirogyra. (A lot of people report that platy eat spirogyra ) It's already 2 days. I see one of them eating the spirogyra this morning. That's a good sign. I don't feed them anything. Hop they eAT ALL the spirogyra.

Last edited by flowerfishs; 06-01-2013 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: info
flowerfishs is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, spirogyra, treatment