The Planted Tank Forum banner

Ebi's Planted Factory | RACK Build | Tiny update! 12/07/13

10K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  Tyrone 
#1 · (Edited)
A little shameful to post pics of my little tower >__<

But I know everyone on the forum is always helpful in chiming in on ideas to improve members builds. :help:

A little bout myself...
Im a college student living in student housing, and I was lucky to pick up my own private room. I moved from Oahu, Hawaii to adventure into the "Mainland" to experience a different type of culture. Im now fortunate that I left Hawaii to be able to gain the experience in learning and knowledge of the beauty of aquascaping..

Well, long story short...

I
Love
Plants!

Anyways, heres my little tiny rack, that for sure needs improvement...

See less See more
#2 ·
I know I need to improve the support of this rack, and I do plan on applying plywood to each shelf to improve the distribution of weight.

I wish I could toss a 40B on the bottom shelf, but most likely will be forced to have a 20L bc of weight limits (each shelf max capacity 350lb).

Each shelf is 47"x18".. Could anyone think of any other sizes to make it efficient for a grow tank?

The goals for this rack is bottom shelf 20L, next shelf up: 2 x 10gallon, next shelf up: undecided, next two shelves up: storage.

#8 · (Edited)
don't tempt me lol.. I'm biting the lip! :icon_neut

I'm truly surprised they let you bring that into student housing. Looks great though. Maybe nano cubes on top?
we'll have to see ;)
Start one? :D
you got that into student housing? how the heck!? You at byu or uvu?
SHHH... lol.. I had the same amount of tanks you see on a different dresser/stand. Just recently added the rack.. i've been passing the cleaning check, so hopefully no problems! lol... UVU :proud:
Sweet setup! Hawaii eh? Do you miss tako poke? Can't get enough of that stuff!
Thanks! yupp, Wahiawa to be exact ;). haha I love fresh Poke! Im a spear diver, so I would catch my tako fresh!

#11 ·
you'll be fine with that lol..
ohh yeah! You should by and check out my job, Animal Ark in Orem. Im a morning manager there.
Tanks lookin' good, Ebi! Cool rack build.

Btw what kind of lightings are you using on those small tanks?
thanks!

Right now I have 24" HO Coralife t5 fixtures with 65k bulbs..
I plan on selling those and tossing a 48" strip of Finnex LED's eventually :D

#10 ·
Tanks lookin' good, Ebi! Cool rack build.

Btw what kind of lightings are you using on those small tanks?

#14 · (Edited)
40 Breeder Plant Farm | Start Up

Yayy,

I'm gonna be starting a farm tank..

I figured I'd do a 40B instead of the 20L I planned..
(Leaves you no choice when the buddy sells you his New 40B for $20...)

Heres pictures of the construction!

Also, picked up approximately 40lbs of used, 2-3 months, worth of aquasoil for $30.. which gives me about 2-3inches in depth. thanks 'happi'

Not bad for the $50 for the tank and soil. :thumbsup:

soil added

good depth you say?

the equipment.. (5lb CO2 currently being filled).

#17 ·
Ebi's Planted Factory | RACK Build |40B FARM 6/04/13

Wow mike. I'm secretly starting a little tank collection...:)Jenn doesn't realize it. But I'm going to move things around too! Hopefully when you n da miss come back to visit you stop by !! Nice job btw

#18 ·
Finally Filled | 40B Farm Tank

So, finally got the 40B filled with water. Was a PITA trying to get the canister going, since it was level with the tank..
Still waiting for the call back on my 5lb to be filled at the shop and got a huge order from Han (h4n) coming in Wednesday.

Heres how the garden looks so far..

my view from my bed (tiny room!)

small rack

Do!aqua Mini L | Iwagumi Redemption Day 52 | 06/07/13

Soon to be Anubias/Bucephalandra/PFR Tank.

Bee Shrimp Tank

Still in the process of clearing up. Hopefully it'll be filled up once large shipment of plants arrive.

#21 ·
More plants added from "h4n"

so, Han definitely hooked me up, as I hooked him up with $$$.$$ :eek: lol

heres a quick pic of how everything is settling in..
Still awaiting the SS Mesh to add the 12+ different species of moss in the open areas..

Still in the toss up, on the left side of the downoi, how things will be organized.

Suggestions always welcome!

#25 ·
re-organized 6/20/13

So, I've been getting a little frustrated on purchasing used 3-4 month old aqua soil.. lots of dust covering plants.. so, I imagined that bc i carefully added water into the used soil, with very minimal disturbance to the substrate, I whole walnut analogy of smaller particles falling to bottom, never really worked out?

So, again... took out all plants and this time purposely stirred up soil causing a dirty mess... siphoned a ton of the dirty water out.. and added fresh water... repeated this process a few times, and the very last time, seemed like everything settled in nicely.

As i added plants back in, I notice very minimal cloudiness of dust floating around water, which brought a lot of relief.

few minor changes:

Moved outflow across the intake filter and will be hooking up a co2 reactor to make co2 more efficient.

Heres a fresh picture:
Water still cloudy

#26 ·
High Light Tank

So, Im enjoying farming plants a ton now and because of limited space, I took down my iwagumi scape to be my high light grow out tank...

Lots of fun having a small downoi farm..

Will be adding erio cineriums from Sean (sjb1987) in the front row.

Picture as it stands:

#27 ·
I really like how you arranged the plants in the 40b! Awesome... can't wait to see it grow all full & lush for ya.

Hah good idea, grow out tank. That's kinda what one of my picotopes are for right now, lol. Random plants I don't have room for or didn't work in the Flora for one reason or another.

So jealous of your rack too. Where'd you get it? I need something like that. Only have 2 1/2 tanks set up atm but I'd so have more if I had more places to put em.

#28 ·
haha thanks so much!
It took me a ton of work just getting the tank cleared out haha.. and of course tieing all those mosses ZZzzz... lol

Thanks! Im always still looking for more stuff to collect... but doesnt look like I really have the room hehehe

Yes! Random plants are always fun, never know when you'll need them for a particular scape.

I got it at home depot, this one exactly..

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Trinity-...Rack-in-Gray-TBF-PS664/203619576#.UcQJ9JWkKDo

it was 50% so I figured I could customize it..

I have the 40B on the wire and on a piece of wood (on floor). these racks arn't ment for hold a ton of weight.

Those things would hold them perfect! and you can toss your other fish/plant related items on it too hehe

#29 ·
As far as room to collect more stuffs goes... if there is a will, there IS a way ;)

Sweet, thanks for the link. The price isn't bad at all, even not on sale. Last fish tank stand I bought cost way more. Just imagine how many nano's I could have if I had this rack.... o_O.o_O lol

It'll prolly be the next 'big' item I get. Def before I go setting up another tank. You mentioned you customized it. What did you do to it? It's late/early... so if it's been posted already my bad.

Being on this forum does NOT help keep this hobby in check, lol. But hey, the more the merrier, right?

BTW what was the spikey grass like plant in the "Do!aqua Mini L" before the rescape? Bylxa Japacona (sp)? If so need to get me some better lighting so I can grow some... freaking love it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.