Too much light for 50 Gal??
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 12-16-2006, 04:12 AM   #1
sevenrider860
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Too much light for 50 Gal??

Hello,

I just purchased a 50 gallon tank (36x18x18) and I am looking at lighting choices. I currently have a 20" 40W Current Satellite with a 6,700K/10,000K bulb over a 10 gallon and I am very happy with the lighting system.

I have the opportunity to get a 36" Outer Orbit HQI for a very good price. This light has a 150W PowerPaq 10,000k Metal Halide and two 96W 6,700K CF Lamps for a total of 342W (6.84 W/gal). Even though I could run the 2 CF lights all day and only run the MH for a few hours around mid-day...Is this still too much light for a 50 gallon tank?

My other option is the 36" Orbit with two 96W 6,700K/10,000K CF Lamps for a total of 192W (3.84 W/gal)...same as the Outer Orbit with the MH off. My cost for these two light systems is the same. I am wondering if having the 150W MH would be nice to have, or just asking for trouble because of too much light.

I am injecting CO2 from a canister through a PlantGuild Vortex Reactor and using a PH controller. I want this 50 gallon to be an Asian biotope for both fish and plants.

I truly appreciate and suggestions. Give that I can get both for the same cost...which lighting solution should I get?

Thank you,

Brian
sevenrider860 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2006, 04:18 AM   #2
spypet
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

if you can get that fixture cheaper than a 2x96w alone,
then just grab it and use the power compact bulbs only.
leave the MH off until such time as you get a taller tank.
otherwise, pass on this fixture and get a 2x65 or 2x96.
spypet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2006, 04:21 AM   #3
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

Even 3.8 watts per gallon is asking for problems, in that you have to keep on your toes to react quickly when something isn't right. For example, if your CO2 bubble rated drops a bit due to needle valve quirks, you need to correct it very soon with that much light, or the algae will all start growing. And, at the much light, algae as well as the plants will grow very fast. The fast plant growth means you have to be careful to always have enough nitrate and phosphate and traces to fuel that growth, or, again, the algae will all start growing. That much light doesn't harm anything, other than your spare time and nerves.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:45 AM   #4
WfxXx
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to WfxXx

Quote:
I have the opportunity to get a 36" Outer Orbit HQI for a very good price. This light has a 150W PowerPaq 10,000k Metal Halide and two 96W 6,700K CF Lamps for a total of 342W (6.84 W/gal). Even though I could run the 2 CF lights all day and only run the MH for a few hours around mid-day...Is this still too much light for a 50 gallon tank?
That is a good light for a 50g, I use 2x96/46g, but basically as hoppy said, you would need to know how to use it.

Start out with 1x96 for 2/3 of your photoperiod 8 hrs, use the MH or the other 1x96 for the other 1/3.
Don't burn 2x96 all day till you know how to grow plants, very important or you will grow everything instead of plants...

Do your homework, all the information is here.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:05 PM   #5
sevenrider860
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Thank you for all your answers. Given the price I can get, I think I will go with the Outer Orbit HQI and not use all lights at once. Having the extra lighting provides me some flexibility in the future should I ever change tanks.
Brian
sevenrider860 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.