210 gallon lighting options
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 12-12-2006, 11:02 AM   #1
CarolF
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

210 gallon lighting options

It was suggested I change the header on my other post so it might be noticed I couldn't figure that out so sorry for the duplication here.

I am confused to color options on lights and what set up would be best on this tank. 72" long 24 inches wide and height of 29 inches.

I would like a reasonably priced unit for this size tank with around 2 watts per gallon. It seems most of the light set ups are for salt and I don't quite understand the right bulb set up. 6700K I thought is for the best growth but I see some of you have higher K. Then there seems to be other factors as well, Most of the halides are at higher K also.

This is a glass top no canopy and it would be too heavy for me to manage anyways. We have 13 foot ceilings and don't want to have drop lights from that height. Any suggestions??

I saw that there is a new halide with an adjustable arm in 150watts which is on sale but the K is higher then I think is good for plants, I found a hamilton PC in the $569 (6 x 96) range and a halide 3 light set up for $499. Nothing is cheap but I just don't want to make a costly mistake.
CarolF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2006, 03:52 PM   #2
oblongshrimp
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)

you should be able to find Hamilton lights that are in the 6700k range. Thats what I have over my 120gal tank. From everything I have heard the 10k ones are fine also and a lot of it is personal personal preferance as to the look of the light. Worst case you buy the halides with the 10k bulbs and then just buy the 6700k or whatever you go with on another website.
oblongshrimp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:07 PM   #3
ianmoede
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

The current trend in lighting has gone with T-5 fluorescentseBay: T5 T 5 HO Aquarium light 72 inch 8 X 80 watt new Hood (item 250060263550 end time Dec-21-06 12:20:06 PST). I have had both T-5 and PC, and have had much better results with T-5. Better made fixtures, and less heat. Here's a 72 incher i found on no ebay links allowed
ianmoede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:47 PM   #4
CarolF
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Thank you for the link, I was looking at that one also. The only concern is it is only 11 inches wide and I don't know who makes it and if they have a good reflector. From what I am reading the reflector quality is also very important for reaching more of the tank. I will ask the seller for more info.

I know that is one of the sellers that will change the lights to what you prefer.
CarolF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:07 PM   #5
oblongshrimp
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)

If possible look at someone elses tank who has the lights you are thinking of. I know when i got MH lights i was AMAZED at the difference. Not just in the plants (which were growing leggy) but the shadowing and the color of the fish was just amazing even though the color temp of the light was the same as when i had 4 65w PC on the tank (vrs 2 175w MH). The MH lights just give the tank a totally different look which you may like more then the floresent light look.
oblongshrimp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:49 PM   #6
spypet
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblongshrimp View Post
MH lights just give the tank a totally different look
MH probably throws more interesting and realistic shadows than PC light can.

driftwood and rocks will look more dramatic in MH lighting,
however they may also steal more light from plants below.
with PC light is coming from so many different angles that
it's unlikely plants get starved of light by such obstacles.
spypet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:02 PM   #7
adamhaulena
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

If you want really cheap, you could probably manage to fit a number of home depot 4' shoplights and get some T8 6700K bulbs...It would initially set you back a hundred dollars or so, but you could get 2 wpg if you managed to squeeze them in there.

The bulb replacement cost would be minimal over time ($3 - $4/bulb) , whereas MH bulbs are around $60-$100...each lasting roughly the same time.

But if space for all those shoplights is not available, you may have to go some other route.

Adam
adamhaulena is offline   Reply With Quote