Setting up a 110lg planted Discus tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
buddly
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Setting up a 110lg planted Discus tank

Hi my name is Bud and I have been in the hobby of raising fish for more than 30 years.I am going to change this tank over to a Discus planted tank.The tank is 110 60x18x25.5 with a huge piece of driftwood in it.I need help on what type of light as well as what type of plants I should use.I have a 33long as the sump and with a magdrive 9.5.I have nothing but time to make this right before ordering fish.Any and all help needed.I have read for days on lighting and still not sure what I need.I am looking for a show tank.

buddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
buddly
Algae Grower

Oh I have the grave that in in it now or also have black sand from on of my other 125gl not sure what is the best for the plants.The discus will be grown out to 5"+ before being add to this tank.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (427/100%)

Welcome to the forum, Bud. I can tell this is going to be a great setup.

In aquascaping, having centerpiece hardscape materials off-center really helps. Maybe you could move the piece of wood a bit to the left?

As far as lighting and plants - do you want to be high light with CO2 and daily fertilizer dosing? Or do you want to be low/medium without any of the complicated stuff?
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
buddly
Algae Grower

I found the drift wood in the Missouri river so I put it in the landscape bed for a few year.Then it wouldn't sink so I siliconed it down 5 or 6 years ago.Kinda is where it is.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
buddly
Algae Grower

You know with discus they are very high maintenance and I have just backed down from 14 tanks averaging 58gl to 125,120,75 and a 45or so corner tank.So I have the time now to go all in with this one tank.I am not rich just an old concrete dog from local518 so cost is some what of a issue.However I do have lots of tanks for sale and all the money can be used for this one.Also thinking of adding a auto drip for w/c and might even add a Algae Scrubber
Old 05-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Since it's fixed in place, you'll probably be able to create a nice scape by using taller plants.

When it comes to lighting and plants, your options are really endless because you aren't constricted when it comes to space. You could probably do a nice, low/med light tank with little effort.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:17 PM   #7
buddly
Algae Grower

I think this is about the right light 2.90wpg 60" T5 Quad 320W w/Timer Freshwater Plant Version 320W around $190 shipped
Old 05-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

You may want to take a moment to read through the lighting sticky in the lighting section of the forum. It'll help you figure out PAR levels.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #9
buddly
Algae Grower

I don't now if I am slow or what But I have been reading them for days.I thought this light is in the med light range close to high light.I am going to take this real slow and try and do the DSM (dry start method)like this thread from a local guy here in KC
http://www.kcfishclub.org/forum/16-p...t-treants.html
Old 05-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #10
buddly
Algae Grower

help need to know where to go from here
Old 05-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
majorwoo
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

As someone who recently came over to planted tank land - it's information overload. There is just SOO much information, you literally can't keep up.

Read, read, and read some more. Then ask questions. Then question the people who answer you, because there are a lot of nice people with old answers that are not so true any more (for example, look into why watts / gallon isn't good advice anymore when dealing with how much lighting you need for your plants)

I would suggest reading up on one aspect (perhaps lighting - this is where I started my research) and getting fairly comfortable with it. When you start deciding what plants you will want, that will determine how much light and fertilizers, and such - but it will sort of grow from there. (worked fairly well for my anyway - I feel like I have a decent grasp on the basics)