Planted Tank “Under New Management” - Page 12
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > The Planted Tank Information > Important Update/Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #166
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (438/100%)

You're misunderstanding. Google Ads are targeted based on a number of criteria. They don't always use the same criteria. That specific ad is geo-targeted to different geographic locations around the country. You're getting worked up over nothing, as the site doesn't determine which specific advertisers get to come through. Though, the administrator can block ads from specific advertisers as they pop up.

You aren't being targeted. That's a bit of an overreaction. It's your geographic location that matters. once your region has hit its fill/magic point/number of eyes seen/clicks/whatever their criteria are, it'll probably disappear in your region. Again, nothing to do with the site and everything to do with the ad service.

Vertical Scope didn't approve that Democratic Party ad. It was served by the company they're using. That's how web ads work. You don't pick and choose every ad you allow when you use something like Google AdSense.

You aren't being forced to do anything. I made a suggesting that ad blockers are great if you don't want to see ads. It's up to you if you install one. It's also up to you whether or not you click on an ad or ignore it.

Unless you disable all cookies, all temporary internet files and browse the web anonymously, you're being tracked. By all kinds of websites, ad services, internet service providers, et al.

If anyone has an issue with a specific ad, click it (sometimes you can right-click to get the destination URL without having to fully click the ad) so you can get the URL and then send a message to forumadmin with the URL. If it's political or offensive, they can block it. Short of that, we're all beating a dead horse.

P.S. I, too, think anything other than aquarium-based ads are pointless here. Vertical Scope should try to work to receive better targeted advertising. These car and cat food ads don't get any clicks from me. But some ads for an aquatics retailer probably would.
somewhatshocked is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #167
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Wow... just wow.

If a political ad bothers you so much Dantra, how can you stand to pick up a newspaper or watch tv? Almost every public news media is biased to one side or the other, why should a random advert on the the internet be any different?

Get adblocker, move on with life.
blink is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2013, 03:49 AM   #168
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Much less drama with Adblocker

These ads are the new normal. No one would host this site unless they get some profit doing it.

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
audioaficionado is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2013, 04:05 AM   #169
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (79/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantra View Post
Hey Adam, What is the excuse for advertising an obvious democrat-liberal ad? What makes you think that I or anyone else for that matter support the democratic party? Is it safe to assume that it's alright to talk politics now?

This is a "Planted Tank Forum" correct? Many here were reprimanded in the nicest way I may add and warned about expressing political views however on the front page you blatantly have an ad that goes against the rules. We were specifically told that we cannot post or talk about anything having to do with politics. Here is a capture of the ad in question:

Now I know for a fact that I have no browsing history because I browse in private mode however if, as stated above,

"The advertising on the bottom of the forum is selected using various equations, of which one is your browsing history."

I was being track it would be in no way, no how have anything to do with Michelle Obama & Elizabeth Warren (it hurts just typing their names) or the Democratic Party. Is this what is to be expected from now on? Indoctrinate much, push your personal political agenda/views much?

I'm basically asking, is it going to be one sided? If so there are many other Planted Tank forums that make it a joy to visit as opposed to being insulted by such an offensive political ad that's forced down our throats. Way to be objective PetGuide or should I say verticalscope. This is a "Planted Tank Forum" not a place to push your political agenda.

Dan
Good Lord. I read the most recent posts before seeing the and in suspect and figured it would be the kind that understandably gets people worked up (you know, the kind you see on TV? "So-in-so voted to earmark millions of dollars to go towards funding of his private hobby of forcing unwilling puppies to wear his wife's brand of dog clothing. If you support this person you -must- be evil")

All you needed to say was "what exactly is the forum policy on displaying political ads? Or something of that matter.

I agree that political ads just beg to raise controversy, but for an ad to "win lunch with politician X" to cause you this much grief? Get a life.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:06 AM   #170
dantra
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
Wow... just wow.

If a political ad bothers you so much Dantra, how can you stand to pick up a newspaper or watch tv? Almost every public news media is biased to one side or the other, why should a random advert on the the internet be any different?

Get adblocker, move on with life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioaficionado View Post
Much less drama with Adblocker

These ads are the new normal. No one would host this site unless they get some profit doing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL View Post
Good Lord. I read the most recent posts before seeing the and in suspect and figured it would be the kind that understandably gets people worked up (you know, the kind you see on TV? "So-in-so voted to earmark millions of dollars to go towards funding of his private hobby of forcing unwilling puppies to wear his wife's brand of dog clothing. If you support this person you -must- be evil")

All you needed to say was "what exactly is the forum policy on displaying political ads? Or something of that matter.

I agree that political ads just beg to raise controversy, but for an ad to "win lunch with politician X" to cause you this much grief? Get a life.
You guys/sheeple are exactly what government and certain political parties thrive on... the kind of sheeple who walks around with paddles on the sides of their heads or better yet lives with their heads in the sand. You honestly think it doesn't matter. I just feel sorry for you, it must be great going through life with such a lackadaisy attitude.

If you can't answer my question why respond? Do you really think your opinion matters? Crave attention much? Do you feel like one of the 99%/occupy wall-street now? I asked Adam a question that a few others are also interested in but I need to get a life because I decided to ask as opposed to just go along? Who needs to get a life? You guys felt it necessary to respond because I asked about a political ad? Do you feel better now? You got the attention you wanted?

If you don't have an answer to the question but assume everyone should just glaze over it or think like you do, well that just makes you a puzzlewit.

Once again for the people sitting in the back who couldn't understand what my original question was, "Is it okay to talk about politics now which originally was against forum rules or is it do as I say not as I do? Have the rules been revised?

Dan
dantra is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2013, 06:05 AM   #171
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (79/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantra View Post
You guys/sheeple are exactly what government and certain political parties thrive on...
Old 05-27-2013, 07:04 AM   #172
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (259/100%)

Shave em hairy college kids now. Actually I saw some sheep today and yes, they had been freshly sheared.

Still, ad blocker solves all that bothers ye.

I chose NOT to have ads on my web site, but........I do not make $ off the advertisers and it cost more $ etc to run, but.......then again I get a lot less hassle and work due to no ads, vendor support etc. Each site owner does what they think is best for them work wise and profit wise.

Like spam, tracking your movement and coming up with more ways to get you to click, much smarter than advertising on a billboard or radio etc. Much much larger market. Annoying? Yep, makes lots of $? Yep, in the larger scheme of things.

It's a bit like an Arms Race, same deal with killing weeds.
You develop something to spread spam all over, get paid a lot of $ to do so, even if it's not ethical (it's just business eh?), then they come up with anti spam software (which is sold to the consumer as well(they buy and buy again for this product). Business wins in both cases. Then the spammers get creative and hire Troung in Vietnam to register a new account and post spam on forums for 5 cents for every 10 post he spams. Software forum owners track this info and share ways to prevent these spammers getting into the forums with various methods.

Banning ISP's will never solve this issue, they can use and infect zombie computers and owners who have no idea that they are infected and being used as host, or a college public computer etc. Banning ISP's will not solve this issue, it's much too easy to side step such methods.

Maybe back in the 1990's.

Not today.

I find all this back and forth interesting and have watched it for decades.

While using ad blocker will help, I'm certain, someone will find a way around it at some point. And they someone else will sell you something that stops that.

Sales/business, not politics(just a tool), drives this.

Dan, I've had a few posted moderated here, a few infractions etc due to things viewed at religion or politics. Sometimes just being a tad too passionate in the post about topics or hounding someone for an answer.
Ah, it's their site, they can do what they want. And in many cases, they were correct to spank me for it. We all are human. But, it does seem two faced if you focus on your specific question, that I agree with.
But..........the other posters explained why you see those ads. It's not TPT site/management directly. Letting them know might be able to change some of those types of ads, but I think it's hard to filter and see every one of them.

Two edge sword for them and for folks here.

Likely less effort to add ad blocker

Last edited by plantbrain; 05-27-2013 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: Cain't spel wuth a dang.
plantbrain is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #173
NeonFlux
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

..Political ads here FTL..

Imo every ad here should simply be about aquariums, anything planted tank related. :P

Sadly Adblocker can sometimes interfere with benign pop-ups. It has happened to me before and I uninstalled it..
250 gallon Community Black Bar Red hooks/Silver dollars/Bala Shark/Cichlids/Loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roselines/ Monster fish tank
NeonFlux is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #174
lipadj46
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Default Re: Planted Tank “Under New Management”

sheeple, good lord, I did not think people used that term any longer. Anyone consider themselves a sheep dog? LOL...

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code
lipadj46 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #175
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (438/100%)

Insulting others because one doesn't understand how Google AdSense works is beyond inappropriate.

Unfortunately, because of inappropriate remarks, this thread is now locked.

If anyone has concerns about advertising, direct your concerns to forumadmin via private message. That's the only person who has control over ads.
somewhatshocked is online now   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.