Would dying moss ball cause Ammonia spike?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-26-2013, 03:48 AM   #1
Sluuuder
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Exclamation

Would dying moss ball cause Ammonia spike?

Well Ive had a moss ball for a while and after a couple months it kicked it. Turned a weird brownish green color but I left it in the since it seemed to still be firm and not getting any worse. Well I then got a master test kit and tested my water because I put some red cherry shrimp in my 20 gallon from my ten gallon because it had been doing really good. Well they slowly died off.

I tested my ammonia an it was .25 to .50 ppm. My nitrites are 0 and nitrates around 5.0 ppm. Im wondering was it the moss ball that could have been causing ammonia? I just threw it away today.

Thanks for your help in advance and if its not the moss ball please give advice on getting rid of the ammonia please!!!
Sluuuder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2013, 04:24 AM   #2
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Rotting organics will release ammo, but I have a feeling something is up.. has this tank been running for a long time?
Old 05-26-2013, 04:50 AM   #3
slavecorps
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

It's very possible the moss ball could have been causing the problem, but on a 20 gallon tank, I would think the beneficial bacteria could have handled it assuming that you had adequate biological filtration for the tank. What kind of filter setup are you using and how long has the tank been running?
slavecorps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #4
Sluuuder
Planted Tank Obsessed

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavecorps View Post
It's very possible the moss ball could have been causing the problem, but on a 20 gallon tank, I would think the beneficial bacteria could have handled it assuming that you had adequate biological filtration for the tank. What kind of filter setup are you using and how long has the tank been running?
TO respond to both of y'alls posts the tank has been set up for about 3 years. I tore it down once but put in new substrate and water that same day. so id say two years.

Only thing in there are plants(quite a few but none are dead or sheding leaves), I have two 10-15 gallon tetra filters on it(I had a 20 gallon internal filter but I cant stand those it was such an eye sore) I got two because since its 10-15 then it should equal 20-30 right?, about 20 very small snails, a betta I put in there three days ago from another tank, DIY c02, and a 20 gallon glass heater.

Tnak parameters:

ph: 6.0-6.4 (dear god didnt know my high was that high!!!) help!!!!
Ammonia: 0-.25
Nitrite: 0 yay!
Nitrate: 10 ppm

Thanks for posting guys this 20 gallon has always been the tank I just cant get right. I can set up a ten gallon and have hundreds of cherry shrimp :/
Old 05-26-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
Digital
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Digital Send a message via Yahoo to Digital Send a message via Skype™ to Digital

Any detritus will add to ammonia spikes in a tank, thats why I always do my best to take out leaves that have broken off and floating around, or stuck to the filter. My 2 cents.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:06 AM   #6
Sluuuder
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital View Post
Any detritus will add to ammonia spikes in a tank, thats why I always do my best to take out leaves that have broken off and floating around, or stuck to the filter. My 2 cents.
Thats the thing I don't have any debris in the tank. No dead leaves anywhere and when I do get them its usually just one or two on the filters that I remove.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Honestly, if they are the hob filters I'm thinking of, you might wanna stuff some more media in them. A thorough substrate cleaning would be wise as well. A single betta should not cause that much ammonia.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
ggrillo

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Re: Would dying moss ball cause Ammonia spike?

How old and what type of test kits are you using? Sometimes the reagents go bad and you'll get a false reading.
ggrillo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
Sluuuder
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrillo View Post
How old and what type of test kits are you using? Sometimes the reagents go bad and you'll get a false reading.

Its the tetra master text kit freshwater. Its brand new so its not the test kit. Goes bad in like 10 more years it said. I checked date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven p View Post
Honestly, if they are the hob filters I'm thinking of, you might wanna stuff some more media in them. A thorough substrate cleaning would be wise as well. A single betta should not cause that much ammonia.
Yeah I keep cleaning the substrate im thinking of taing it out because there is a serious amount of this nasty clump stuff in it. idk what it is honestly. Ive cleaned the tank like 5 times I think its mainly from when I had serious case of blue algea and I did a black out and killed it all but it sat in the tank.

Last edited by Sluuuder; 05-26-2013 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: Adding a quote.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:50 AM   #10
Sluuuder
Planted Tank Obsessed

bump. Anyone got an idea of why I have ammonia and a very acidic ph?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.