shipping priority: what day and when?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
TheDrake
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)

shipping priority: what day and when?

Just wondering what other people do. About a decade ago, a wise old plant guru told me that if you ship during the week, then a priority package might arrive in 2 days, but just as likely 3. However, if you ship on Saturday, the package invariably arrives in just 2 days. He said this is because the PO does not have people out delivering on Sundays but the sorting facilities are open and all work is concentrated there. And in my experience, he's been right: everything I have shipped priority on a Saturday arrives on Monday. Anyone else have experience with this?

Regarding time of shipment, I have always made it a habit to be at the PO when they open, thinking that the sooner the package is in the system, the faster it arrives. I had a chat with a postal employee this morning, and she said the time of day does not matter: all packages from that day end up at the same local sorting facility that night. If that is true, then I don't have to get up early and physically go to the PO, I can just print a shipping label online (which is $0.65 cheaper by the way) and stick the package in my mailbox, saving myself some time and gas money. Any thoughts on that?

thanks.
TheDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I take my shipments to the PO end of day Satrurday. The pick-up to the distribution center is about 1 hour after close at my PO. This way the plants stay in my tank until the last min. Pretty much everything I've sent this way gets delivered (priority) on Monday.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:42 AM   #3
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

I prefer Saturday shipping. Most packages arrive Monday, but some areas of the west coast take an extra day from Florida.
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:49 AM   #4
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)
Default Re: shipping priority: what day and when?

Same here, CA to East Coast takes 2 days if I get lucky, 3+ if not. More important for livestock, does not really matter with plants if packaged right.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2