Recommend a background plant
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
Roroco
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Recommend a background plant

So I am looking to increase the amount of Micro Swords in the front left of the tank, but I was also looking for a plant to go in the middle of the background between the Vals. I am just not sure what would fit the best.

Some notes...

- I have Red Cherry Shrimp. Any plant to hide the babies from the guppies and Cardinals would be great, but not necessary.

- Plants that are better at creating more oxygen would be better for me since it is difficult maintaining oxygen in this tank.

- I have the standard LED lighting in the new Fluval Edge. The rest of the plants seem to be doing well in that light. The Baby Dwarf Tears are fairly new. I don't know if they will last without additional light.

What would you guys recommend?

Here is a pic.
Roroco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
majorwoo
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I'm actually a big fan of good old fashioned Anacharis. I actually like the look of it, especially when mixed into other plants. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...780&pcatid=780
majorwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

I would just let the vals take over the back...
Old 05-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
Roroco
Algae Grower

Both made my short list. I just have to think about it.

Thanks, guys.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #5
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had the 12 gallon edge and just let the vals have the back and I think that was my favorite, I tried hornwort, asian ambulia, cabomba and a few others and while I now know my plant keeping techniques weren't ideal at the time the vals just did exceptionally well so perhaps that is biasing me towards them.
blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:35 AM   #6
fishin'fool
Algae Grower

I totally reccomend Rotala Wallichi. its fine pinkish leaves will be good contrast against your other plants. I got mine from here http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscent...allichii05.htm. amazing seller for plants!
fishin'fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
Roroco
Algae Grower

I decided to added the Anacharis and Micro Swords. I also taped some LED bars (ikea brand) I had laying around to the right side of the tank to help with the Baby Dwarf Tears. I do wish the Anacharis had a better root system (or any roots), but I like how they look. I just need to let them grow tall.

Thanks all.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
Roroco
Algae Grower

Here is a video of the tank.... If you are interested. I know it is a bit over crowded with all the guppy fries (the adults need a past time or a cannibalistic appetite), but I have a home for them once they get a bit bigger. The LEDs in the video look much more drastic than they do in person, but I might soften them up later.