LED Lighting Compendium - Page 18
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-26-2013, 12:31 AM   #256
SeaOfGreen

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWonderfulWub View Post
I don't know if anyone has mentioned these lights yet (unlikely, since they're basically brand new), but Sunshine Systems has come out with a new LED plant pendant, a variant of their reef and grow LED lights.

http://www.sunshine-systems.com/Aqua...u-936pl-aq.htm

I and one of their reps prototyped it, and I have the original prototypes for these lights hanging over my plants tanks in my store, and they've done an amazing job keeping the plants alive and healthy. Obviously they'd be overkill for smaller tanks, but for people with larger tanks they'd be plenty powerful.

*edit*

I've got four of their reef lights over my reef, and they're giving me amazing growth and color from the corals.

I'm still looking for info on these lights as well, shooting for high light in a 21"tall tank and if the technical specs on their site are accurate it looks like a good deal, I'm just having trouble finding any firsthand experience with them.
SeaOfGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #257
zackariah
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Default Re: LED Lighting Compendium

I'm planning on making a diy fixture, using LEDs from superbrightleds.com does anyone know if the will work? They have LEDs that put out the right spectrum. Just not sure if they can make it through 18" or so of water. The LEDs I was wanting to put in put out 7800k for the white I was also going to add some red, blue, and green to help bring out colors in the fish and plants. Not sure if 7800k is to high. Please give any advice/knowledge
Old 03-27-2013, 01:07 AM   #258
pelicanincident
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackariah View Post
I'm planning on making a diy fixture, using LEDs from superbrightleds.com does anyone know if the will work? They have LEDs that put out the right spectrum. Just not sure if they can make it through 18" or so of water. The LEDs I was wanting to put in put out 7800k for the white I was also going to add some red, blue, and green to help bring out colors in the fish and plants. Not sure if 7800k is to high. Please give any advice/knowledge
Zack, are you giving up on your Aqueon Modular LEDs? I have 2 white and 1 colormax in a 24" fixture, I'm just not convinced yet. I am in Milwaukee, WI, so Aqueon is a local manufacturer for me. Pretty much all of the LFS's I visited vouched for them, saying they are legit for medium-light planted tanks.

I am also quite interested in a DIY LED fixture.
pelicanincident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:23 AM   #259
zackariah
Planted Member

No I haven't given up on the aqueon. I have a 20 gallon that still has t8s. I'll post my project in diy as soon as I get everything in.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #260
Bryk
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelicanincident View Post
Zack, are you giving up on your Aqueon Modular LEDs? I have 2 white and 1 colormax in a 24" fixture, I'm just not convinced yet. I am in Milwaukee, WI, so Aqueon is a local manufacturer for me. Pretty much all of the LFS's I visited vouched for them, saying they are legit for medium-light planted tanks.

I am also quite interested in a DIY LED fixture.

I have given up on it. I was hoping for low light on my 37 gallon with 2 color max and 1 white. Now it is going to be supplemental(put on front side of glass) with a ray 2 on back. If the ray2 works out then maybe I'll someday switch it to a 20 long.

I went with a fugeray for my 46 gallon.

I just ordered a Fugeray R for my house plants at work and also one for a finnex breeder box.
Bryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #261
marthat
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackariah View Post
No I haven't given up on the aqueon. I have a 20 gallon that still has t8s. I'll post my project in diy as soon as I get everything in.
Would like to see pics, I have a similiar build I'm starting
Old 03-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #262
zackariah
Planted Member

What build? My 48" aqueon mods or the 24" diy led?
Old 04-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #263
easttech
Algae Grower

Default Illumina 260 5' LED by Aquaristik

Hello,

Has any research been done on the above mentioned LED fixture? I have white, both blues and the optional reds. This unit came to me when I purchased my 300 gallon deep dimension tank. It was set up for reef and I am told this is a great fixture for that purpose. Mine however is for a planted Discus tank. I assume this light has enough strength and spectrum for freshwater plants but I am trying to get a handle on the intensity setings for each of the colors as they are adjustable. I do not have a PAR meter and going back to the manufacturer asking about guidance for freshwater plants was a waste of time.

Any suggestions?

John
easttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #264
easttech
Algae Grower

Hello,

Has any research been done on the above mentioned LED fixture? I have white, both blues and the optional reds. This unit came to me when I purchased my 300 gallon deep dimension tank. It was set up for reef and I am told this is a great fixture for that purpose. Mine however is for a planted Discus tank. I assume this light has enough strength and spectrum for freshwater plants but I am trying to get a handle on the intensity setings for each of the colors as they are adjustable. I do not have a PAR meter and going back to the manufacturer asking about guidance for freshwater plants was a waste of time.

Any suggestions?

John
easttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #265
Werdna
Algae Grower

Default Finnex Ray II & Marineland Plant LED

Chaos is coming over today and we are going to use his PAR meter to get the actual PAR on a 48" Finnex Ray II in a 75 gallon tank with the fixture resting 1/4" away from All-glass tank lids.

Here is a graphic showing what the manufacturer gives you for PAR for both fixtures. Later, I will add another image with the PAR results.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Marineland Plant LED PAR.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	118010

Name:	48 in Finnex Ray II PAR.png
Views:	226
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	118018

Finnex PAR link:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=189944

Last edited by Werdna; 04-02-2013 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: Update Picture Sizes
Werdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #266
Werdna
Algae Grower

Based on measurements taken a locations shown with a light meter.

Measurements not taken at the 24" depth.

Left measurement is taken directly under the light, the next one to the right at halfway between the tank wall and he light, and the far right measurement was taken as close to the tank glass as possible.

Another user also posted PAR readings for the same fixture: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...242&highlight=
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	48 in Finnex Ray II PAR.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	118210  

Last edited by Werdna; 04-09-2013 at 03:00 AM.. Reason: Added another PAR measurement link
Werdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:07 AM   #267
moto
Algae Grower

Default Just bought an additional kessil 150w amazon

I've been running a single amazon 150w kessil over my 32gal Ada tank for a year now with fairly well results. Only issue would be my wendtii seems to be growing fairly tall and my liliopsis brasilinsis is not very thick. The additional light should make the tank thrive. Ill post a b4 and after photo once I've installed it and ran it for a week.

BTW these lights kick ass one just does not spread out well enought to cover the 24" tank. I have to raise it a good 8-10" above the surface to get corner to corner coverage.
moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #268
nikl

I've just received the BeamsWork Green Element EVO Reef LED Light Fixture 18" from Aquatraders.com. It has 10 3 watt LEDs, three of which are Actinic 460nm LEDs. I did some simple PAR readings with my seney Reef (it's probably not as professional as some but it may give a bit of an idea for the ratings). I thought I'd share (since I couldn't find any online yet). All the ratings are taken through a 1/4" glass cover in my 90g tank without the brackets (directly laying on the glass). 21" was the lowest I could go.

All lights:
0" - 778 PAR
4" - 350 PAR
8" - 258 PAR
12" - 168 PAR
18" - 105 PAR
21" - 80 PAR

Actinic 460nm LEDs ONLY:
12" - 85 PAR
18" - 44 PAR

I've also done some readings for the 48" Odyssea T5 HO (also bought from aquatraders.com) but I'll have to find another thread to post those since this is LED only.
nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #269
aja31
Algae Grower

Are all of these measurements taken through just air and water? Most glass is only about 90% transparent, and additionally many types of glass are more strongly adsorbing in the UV spectrum. If I have a glass cover between my light and the water how much of an effect does it have on the PAR value?

I'd suspect a 10-20% change, but that is just a guess, does anyone have any data available? It will vary due to different spectra, but a rough estimate can probably be applied to all existing data if we get a few samples.
aja31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #270
shiftysquirrel
Algae Grower

I'm looking for PAR data on Current's new Satellite LED+ light and haven't been able to find it on here yet. Has anyone had good/bad experience growing plants with it?