Table Saw Recommendations? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 05-24-2013, 03:56 AM   #16
GraphicGr8s
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)

Hey Hoppy, my radial arm will rip a sheet of plywood right down the center without me using an assistant since it's built into a 12' bench. I designed it so large sheets wouldn't be a problem since I work alone all the time. So guess what? I rarely ever break plywood down on it anymore. I use the circ saw and a set of edge clamps. I have a 40 tooth ATB for the saw. Leaves a smoooooth edge. Better than any plywood blade. And almost as good as a good bourbon.
Something else. I never ever use a tape measure to lay out the cut. 2 pieces of wood clamped together as a "story stick" Every cut is on the money every time.

Nofear, you don't need to spend a ton on a table saw. Get a good quality clamp. I go to Peachtree woodworkers supply, Woodcraft or locally Craftsman Lumber.

My "portable" table saw rarely gets used. Most are junk and I haven't the room for a real table saw.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 04:34 AM   #17
nofearengineer
Aquatic Vegetable

PTrader: (3/100%)

I like the idea of a clamping straightedge, though since the opening I am working with is about 57" wide, so I may have to get a 100" clamp.

That will be fun to store.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #18
wabisabi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (38/100%)

A circular saw is definitely the way to go when cutting large pieces of plywood.
wabisabi is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #19
GraphicGr8s
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I like the idea of a clamping straightedge, though since the opening I am working with is about 57" wide, so I may have to get a 100" clamp.

That will be fun to store.
For the cuts I have to make as rip cuts I use a piece of plywood (about an 8" strip) and regular clamps. Just use the factory edge. I use the edge clamps after the large breakdown. My largest edge clamp is 52". the edge clamps make it easier and bit faster.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #20
JoeandCarrie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I am about done with my 40b stand, just have to sand and stain today. It was all chop and circular saw though. If you need large surface areas clamped, you can always daisy chain cheap quick clamps. I dont have any over 16" but have linked as many as 8 together for projects.

The straight edge is the way to go, but if a saw is a must, I recommend the rigid for cheap or grizzley if your making an investment. Have had both, the grizzley was a beast. The rigid did it all though, just wasnt quite as rugged, and only had a 8" blade max.

The rentals are usually top bill for quality, but a 20 $ blade will save you hours of sanding.

Best of luck,
JoeandCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #21
nofearengineer
Aquatic Vegetable

PTrader: (3/100%)

Well, a buddy came through for me. He is a luthier, who also used to make cabinets and such, so he has all the fun toys. He's got a jig for pocket screws and all that as well.

All it is costing me to use his tools is a case of Sam Adams. We'll just have to make sure they wait until after the work haha. I think I'm going to start a new project journal tonight.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.