Absolute noob to shrimps, need suggestions!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 05-24-2013, 03:28 AM   #1
Phantomic
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Absolute noob to shrimps, need suggestions!

Like the title says, in an absolute noob when it comes to shrimp. Ive keep your average ghost shrimp in my main 29 gallon with varying luck, but now after seeing all of the amazing shrimp tanks, I want in.

Im thinking that i need to get a whole new tank instead of putting it in my 29 gallon or betta tank because one, they weren't designed for shrimp what so ever, and two, my fish (AHEM, dirty little, but beloved Gouramis) will most likely harass them. So, what im thinking in terms of my a tank is the Fluval EBI Shrimp Kit. To me it looks like a great value for only about $90 on Amazon, plus it comes with almost everything i need for a shrimp setup besides the water and shrimps themselves. I will make it a densely planted tank, and i definitely have the skills for that in bigger tanks, but never tried it in a smaller tank

So pretty much what im asking all you shrimp experts out there is if the Fluval tank i mentioned is up to par with your standards, or if i should ditch it and go a whole other route. I will also need some suggestions on what special equipment or plants I need for shrimp health other than specialized shrimp food and Java Moss.

Im very excited to finally be getting into shrimp keeping and breeding and I hope to learn a lot from the experience
Phantomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 03:46 AM   #2
CPD
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Absolute noob to shrimps, need suggestions!

The only suggestion I have from my experience with my ebi is that the filter isn't very good for shrimp. I'm currently running a sponge filter and a ehiem 2213 in my ebi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:47 AM   #3
ChadO
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
Default Absolute noob to shrimps, need suggestions!

I started with an Ebi, and it was a perfect way for me to get into the hobby. I kept CRS in it, and that setup produced many, many shrimplets.

Instead of the filter that comes with it - which I think is a bit noisy- I used an ATI sponge filter with a Whisper 10 air pump. The light that comes with it is quite capable and will let you have a variety of plants in it if you so choose.

I don't think you can really go wrong with it for a first shrimp tank. The only extra thing that I would do is make sure the background is well attached. On one of my Ebis, I had to put some extra silicone on the back to keep it snugly in place. Out of the 4 I have, it was only on one of them that I needed to make that adjustment.

ChadO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
ChadO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:55 AM   #4
cantsay39
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

remove that fluval filter... it wacks.. >.< it will suck the baby shrimp~ that tank is made for shrimps no doubt~ put in a sponge filter, or hang a hob breeder box~ that way you can carry more or ventilating the water in my pov... u can check out " http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...884&highlight= "
fluval ebi sand ph is around 6.5 - 6.8~ i wont say if crs can survived in there but they sure aint breeding, successfully kept in that tank~ Blue pearl, Red rillis, Blue bee shrimps... >.< they run the tank~ keep in mind read for all the necessary info before throwing shrimps into the tank~ Oh and by the way I kept 2 ottos in there, funny thing is the other few tanks i had ottos seems to die off but not in this tank..
cantsay39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:01 AM   #5
aznrice247
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/97%)

I wouldn't really recommend the ebi, 3 reasons.

1. When the light dies, you need to buy the fluval light

2. Shrimp tanks are better Long than tall more area to graze on the floor

3. The foam to me is kind of tacky.

If you want to breed shrimps go with a 20gallon long.

But if you don't really have the space then you could go for it. I'm currently setting up a 12inch cube for my desk. I got it from Francis Xavier *ADA store on TPT* I think he still sells them for 40 dollars for a 10 inch and 50 for the 12 inch shipped.

I keep a 35g long for breeding.

one important question... what shrimps do you want to breed?
aznrice247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
Phantomic
Algae Grower

I don't really have the room for a 20 gallon long, but I can get a nano tank and put my betta in that and put shrimp in my 10 gallon. But, I would rather get a bigger nano tank for the shrimp because I love the looks of nano tanks.

As for the shrimp im wanting to breed, they are as they stand: RCS, Rili, Bee shrimp, and maybe CRS later on when i get more experienced. I have a small 2.5 gallon laying around that I could use as a seperate breeding tank.
Phantomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

The Ebi makes a great tank. Like others suggest, ditch the internal filter and go with either a sponge filter, an HOB or get a canister like the Eheim 2213. If you're tight on cash, you could probably make an Eheim 2211 work. If you go with an HOB, get an AquaClear 30.

If your Fluval light bulb burns out, you can get a new one at various online retailers for $7-$8. You can remove the styrofoam background if you like. Only takes a few minutes to do.

Since there's not a ton of ground space in the tank, you can do things like use manzanita or driftwood to take advantage of the tank's height. Check Ebi journals here on the forum or look for 12" cube journals to see what others do.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluval, gourami, nano, planted, shrimp