DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 112
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 05-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #1666
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

Shrimpzone project 08

So, over the weekend, DK finished the Shrimpzone install/modifications (that would be Plan B, after we evolved past Plan A). There was about half an hour of panic when, no matter what control she tried, the system was DOA. She's working with a zoned system and it requires you to create a "call" from the master zone before any of the other zones will kick in to do their job.

Turns out, DK, being safety-conscious, but also a bonehead, had flipped the breaker to the master air handling system before she did some wiring adjustments, and she - uh - forgot to turn the breaker back on. So of course, the system was DOA in every which way. It was doing what it was told to (not) do!

After that, it was a matter of beta testing.

Everything works peachy. We have to do some minor adjustments on air flow directing, but air balance and air temp controls are all in order.

So, for under a George Washington, DK was able to make the Shrimporium into its own zone, fully controlled by a zone damper and thermostat.

Here are some initial pics, overall schematic to follow, after she draws it out ferya.

Attached Images

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 05-20-2013 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: ...
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #1667
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

wow......
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:30 AM   #1668
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

DK's god dog rottie contemplates. He's thinking about taking up doga. That'd be yoga, for dogs.

Fer now, he's practicing meditation. I think.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3800.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	145482  

Old 05-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #1669
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

lol
Old 05-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #1670
mountaindew
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Great idea for warming water supply going into r.o. filter.
My ro/di filter system can be painfully slow in winter time, I will have to add similar tech. to my treatment plant.
Your thread is always fun to check and see what your up to!
MD
mountaindew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:09 AM   #1671
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
Great idea for warming water supply going into r.o. filter.
My ro/di filter system can be painfully slow in winter time, I will have to add similar tech. to my treatment plant.
Your thread is always fun to check and see what your up to!
MD
Keep in mind that in my setup the light bulb can only be lit when the water is flowing through the tubing; it is electronically controlled and tied to this.

Design your system so that you can't accidentally overheat your tubing, or a piece of your tubing, resulting in rupture.

IN OTHER NEWS:

DK's tied up in a crash course in vintage toilet-ology, which includes anatomy and physiology of the vintage one-piece commode. Vintage being in this case circa 1955. Said commode is marked "Standard" because apparently this is BEFORE the company was called AMERICAN Standard. More on this later.

Let's just say that over the weekend, as DK was touring the Shrimporium to inspect her Shrimpzone workings, her bare feet came upon WATER ON THE FLOOR, which was COMING FROM THE FLOOR UP ABOVE, which was traced to the dog water fountain, which had malfunctioned in a wet way. On the way, the water managed to infiltrate the batting surrounding her air handling trunks, soaking the insulation. Never a dull moment, around here. And then today, she played portrait photographer, did pretty well.

So, a mess.

The good news is, it had nothing to do with the Shrimporium workings, or her recent alterations to the HVAC duct work.

Ahhhhhhhhhh.

She met up with her friend Craigslist and gotter a really coo-el vintage dog fountain, which she's re-gutting. A lovely vintage shade of buttercream, from back in the days when butter was yellow due to the cows eating real plants, not due to food dyes. Or so we romanticize. The good ol' post-war fifties. Time of drive throughs, poodle skirts, roller skates. Scandal was rolling a pack of cigarettes into your t-shirt sleeve...

Or so I've heard. I wasn't actually there, then.

Attached Images

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 05-22-2013 at 12:33 AM.. Reason: ...
Old 05-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #1672
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Shrimpzone project 09

So, we'll take this in steps, so you can better understand what DK did, and why she thinks it was a clever approach.

Here is the basic footprint of the basement, two large spaces. One is basic basement space, the other utility space that holds the furnace/air handling system, well system, electrical system, etc.\

The "living" space has its own controlled zone of climate, on a powered damper and tied into its own thermostatic control. The "living" space has a false hung ceiling (ceiling tiles in a grid).

The "utility" space has nothing. No air into or out of the space, no climate control. It has an open joist ceiling. As you can imagine, this poses problems in thermal control, due to the tank lights adding heat to the space. It also poses problems with vapor control, as the tanks add humidity to the air.

Um hm. Oops, I meant SHRIMP tanks, not shimp tanks.

Attached Images

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 05-22-2013 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 05-23-2013, 05:26 AM   #1673
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

so does this trump the ac in the door from last summer?
Old 05-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #1674
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
so does this trump the ac in the door from last summer?
Basically, yeah. The door A/C has two limitations that made me re-think that approach. First, it didn't seem able to keep up with the heat load. Whether that's because the BTU rating wasn't beefy enough, or because on the OTHER side of that door is abnormally hot during hot weather (so the heat gradient it's trying to pump heat against is steeper than normal), it was not cooling the room enough. The second issue was air dispersal. The door A/C unit wasn't beefy enough in the fan department to move that cold air across the room, and it sort of cooled a segment of the room and thought it was "done" with its work. I could have fudged the settings, forcing it to run all the time, but this is very energy inefficient, and, in the end, I decided to pursue the most energy efficient means, which was to use the big house unit and air handling system.

I'm just sitting on the A/C unit for now, until it strikes me what do do with it. I suspect Junior Geek will be lobbying for it any day.

IN OTHER NEWS:

Remember this? Well, DK finally figured out the ball replacements. She ended up using color-coded easter eggs filled with glass bits for weight. She had both, and the fact that she was able to color-code them is boss.

What, you may be wondering, IS that thing?

Well, it belongs to Water Factory III. Water Factory III creates a number of unique water streams which are then blended at the tanks to make custom water for a tank. While the CIC-152 monitor gives a bird's eye view of system performance, it really only monitors one stream in the making.

It's critical that DK know if EACH stream is made correctly (i.e. that the injector for that stream is functioning within parameters). So what DK did was to create in WFIII a side/flush branch of each stream of the WF. This unit takes live output from its respective stream into a small (1 pint or so) chamber), a small proportion of the output from that cycle. We need to use a chamber, rather than just a point monitor, because the nature of injections is that they sine-wave over time, so you need an average of what the output is rather than a sample at one exact point in time, or you will not be accurate.

So, each cycle, a small proportion of each stream is diverted to these chambers for the duration of the cycle. They fill from the bottom and overflow out the side spouts, and collectively drain into the sump pit. But at any time, DK can pick up an egg, plunk in a TDS meter or draw a sample for testing, and it will reflect the latest cycle's functioning for that stream. This is critically important to be able to do, so that I don't have a malfunction happening blindly that I don't know about until it starts killing shrimp in the tanks.

For example, a month or so ago my check valve on one of the injectors developed crystals at the valve, causing a leaky valve, causing the injection solution not to be drawn up properly, so the stream was under-injected severely, depleting the tanks of that stream's contents. Fortunately, DK noticed some subtle changes in the shrimp coloring and tested her streams manually, finding the problem. At that time, she decided to fix her a better live system to draw samples, always. She has to have the side streams and "waste" a proportion of her streams, anyway, to get up to the flow volume she needs, for accurate injections, so she didn't waste anything by setting this system up.

The lids are very lightweight, and the tubings going into them tend to torque on the lids, causing them not to seat sealed and shut, without a good weight on them, thus the need for WEIGHTED plugs. The balls worked, but a certain half-feral wolf-wannabe kept coveting them, and they had to go.

It's an awesome system, now, and now it's very easy at any time to check a stream without having to turn on the system or divert a stream, etc. I just go to the respective pot and test away. It's basically automated and needs no maintenance, too. DK fantasizes about one day getting live monitors like the CIC-152 on EACH stream, but the individual monitors are still too pricey for her blood for this. And she can't be bothered with cheap battery operated "monitors" - for now she uses her hand held TDS unit and drop tests as needed.

Attached Images

Old 05-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #1675
Lexinverts
Maestro of Invertology

PTrader: (42/100%)

Do you have a Sulawesi stream as well? I know from experience that it can be difficult to get the Sulawesi mineral products to dissolve in RO water. I'm betting that would cause problems in an automated system.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=338362
Lexinverts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #1676
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

dk's cardinals (mermaids) are doing awsome hehehe look back a couple pages. she had to split the colony up between a couple tanks.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #1677
Lexinverts
Maestro of Invertology

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
dk's cardinals (mermaids) are doing awsome hehehe look back a couple pages. she had to split the colony up between a couple tanks.
I'm not doubting that. I'm just asking if she has them hooked up to the automated system, and, if so, how does she deal with re-mineralizing the Sulawesi water. I have to age mine for a few days before I use it.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #1678
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexinverts View Post
I'm not doubting that. I'm just asking if she has them hooked up to the automated system, and, if so, how does she deal with re-mineralizing the Sulawesi water. I have to age mine for a few days before I use it.
Yes, Sulawesi tanks are fully automated. What I do is different from other folks and not applicable, but try this (you read it here first, folks):

Chill a liter of seltzer water overnight in your refrigerator. Overnight. Next day, open it carefully, not jostling it so you save as much carbonation as possible. Dump in your product and quickly reseal the lid tight. Shake and see if it fully dissolves. May take up to 10 min with repeat shakings and solution should be water clear if so. No cloudy or powdered residue should remain. If it does fully dissolve, then let the bottle outgas and add RO up to the total volume you need. You can do this by dumping the bottle into a clean bucket and adding the RO water then stirring or bubbling until your pH is in range.

Post back what happens!
Old 05-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #1679
Lexinverts
Maestro of Invertology

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKShrimporium View Post
Yes, Sulawesi tanks are fully automated. What I do is different from other folks and not applicable, but try this (you read it here first, folks):

Chill a liter of seltzer water overnight in your refrigerator. Overnight. Next day, open it carefully, not jostling it so you save as much carbonation as possible. Dump in your product and quickly reseal the lid tight. Shake and see if it fully dissolves. May take up to 10 min with repeat shakings and solution should be water clear if so. No cloudy or powdered residue should remain. If it does fully dissolve, then let the bottle outgas and add RO up to the total volume you need. You can do this by dumping the bottle into a clean bucket and adding the RO water then stirring or bubbling until your pH is in range.

Post back what happens!
LOL. That's just way more work than what I do and have success with. The Logemann brothers (Salty Shrimp brand products) do suggest using CO2 to help get the minerals from the Salty Shrimp 8.5 mix into solution, so I'm betting that your idea would work.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #1680
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Shrimpzone project 10

More background, before we explain what DK did.

Here, we see a general schematic of a zoned HVAC (HVAC = Heating/Ventilation/Air Conditioning) system.

Here is the chapter and verse to memorize, today:

"Whatsoever be the output in volume,
so be the input back to the system."

So, what we have here is the general furnace/air handler to the whole house. The air handler pushes air through the house whether it be heated air, or cooled air, depending on whether the furnace, or air conditioner, is being called upon to act.

The Zone Controller is sorta the master brain. Whenever one of the zone's thermostats tells the Zone Controller it needs heat or air to get to the right temperature, the Zone controller tells the air handler/furnace/AC to do a job, and which zone needs the job, and to open the damper for that zone while the job is being done. But if MORE than one zone is calling for help, the Zone Controller acts as master of ceremonies and gives each zone their needs, in turns. Only one zone gets action at a time.

The reason for this is that each zone approximately takes the air volume capacity of the air handler. If you were to split this into sending to two zones at once, you lose half the air flow to each zone, and with it half the delivery pressure, so your air distribution will not happen as it is designed to do, at a given pressure, in order to DISTRIBUTE the air throughout the space.

OK, so, the air handler, when called upon to supply hot or cold air to a zone, has one delivery rate, whatever it is. The fan runs, supplies xx cubic feet per minute. As in any circulatory system that is closed, what ever volume that is put out by the air handler must then be returned TO the air handler, as "used" air. It's basically a circuit, where it goes around, and comes back.

OK, so ponder on this, until the next post.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zone control schematic.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	148378  

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 05-26-2013 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: ...