9g Desk-top - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-30-2013, 01:21 AM   #16
ValMM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM

A tree... maybe you could get something leafy to grow on top of the log, like java fern.
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 01:25 AM   #17
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

it would be cool if you get some moss over the wood and make it look like a tree
dasob85 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #18
jimmytruong87
I v(^o^)v shrimp

PTrader: (28/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopShelf_Symbiosis View Post
Thank you for the critique Jimmy, but could elaborate on why you feel it is "confused." I can try to explain what I was going for. I was going for mountain on the left, with some taller plants behind it. A dwarf baby tear carpet would cover up the left portion, hiding where the rock enters the substrate. On the right side where the wood is I want to add some type off moss, that is what I'v been looking into recently. Basically prairie with a rock mountain on one side, transitioning into a hilled savana with a tree.

I will read more in the aquascaping section

Looking forward to an expanded critique.
If you want do natural tree , then I suggest you should buy manzanita wood with a lot of branches . After that, you can tie moss on dw.
jimmytruong87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #19
Alaskan Fishface
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

I think the fact that you have three items in the tanks and they are all different. There doesn't seem to be any unity.
The Fraternity of Dirt #126 - Daughter of the Dirt
10 gal community tank
5.2 Mr. Aqua - Blue Velvet/pygmy cory tank
6 gal Fluval Edge - PFR/cory haustas tank
2 gal Betta Jar
Alaskan Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #20
TopShelf_Symbiosis
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytruong87 View Post
If you want do natural tree , then I suggest you should buy manzanita wood with a lot of branches . After that, you can tie moss on dw.
Ever since your last reply Jimmy I have been seriously looking at ways to rescape my tank, and looking at a lot of the natrual and iwagumi designs on the internet. Thank you for challenging me As a beginner it is nice to be pushed forward.

Do you think I will be possible to rescape the tank and save the plants I have. Any suggestions on good place to get rocks and wood. I sourced mine from a city beach, not really idea, but earlier I wanted to save money for equipment. I don't think I can acess the b/s/t section of the fourm yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Fishface View Post
I think the fact that you have three items in the tanks and they are all different. There doesn't seem to be any unity.
Fishface, I see what you are saying. As expressed earlier in this post I am thinking about a rescape. You got the dis-unity thing worded clearly pointing out the 3 differnt peices. Check back in a few weeks to see if I am improveing.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Main question:
Can a rescapse be done and still save my plants. Should I DSM it again.?What is a good source for rocks?
TopShelf_Symbiosis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #21
LeMoine
Algae Grower

Should have listened to me and got seiryu stone in the first place! I think you could re scape and save those plants, as long as you do it all in one day.
LeMoine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2013, 02:38 AM   #22
jimmytruong87
I v(^o^)v shrimp

Here, I hope this picture can help u
Old 05-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #23
Alaskan Fishface
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

For sure you can reuse your plants! I do that all the time.
The Fraternity of Dirt #126 - Daughter of the Dirt
10 gal community tank
5.2 Mr. Aqua - Blue Velvet/pygmy cory tank
6 gal Fluval Edge - PFR/cory haustas tank
2 gal Betta Jar
Alaskan Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 05:47 AM   #24
TopShelf_Symbiosis
Algae Grower

Big update,

The tanks has taken some big steps. I added and then removed some ludwig. The leafs were falling off and with the addition of a very small powerhead, to ward off green dust algae.

For a while I was having hard time with the green dust/glass algae and surface film. I read that poor circulation could cause this, so I added the powerhead for more flow. I also upped my ferts by 2 times. KNO3 went from 0.4 g to 1 g, KHPO4 from 0.05g to 0.1g, and K2SO4 from 0.4 to 1 g.

During the algae battle I was also playing with the scape. I added a laying drift wood piece, removed the flat rock and tilted the big rock up.

After dosing on this schedule for a week, and the gda clearing up, I thought i deserved to get some fauna in the tank. My friend LeMoine,who posted above, gave me some cherry shrimp, and I picked up 3 Dalmatian Molly, tagging along is an unknown fry.

Everything was looking great. The shrimp were happy eating left over algae and the molly where exploring the tank and chasing each other. I was so pleased I wanted to get another shrimp breed. So after about a week of happy cherry and molly, I picked up 4 Amano from my regular aquarium store, along with a mat of HC. I added the shrimp and planted the HC. During the planting the substrate started to get stirred up and the water got a little cloudy.

This is where things turn ugly, I wake up the next morning to find one dead Amano and three dead Cherry. By the next day every single shrimp was dead. Thankfully the moly still look happy. I am starting to think that my filter isn't working correctly or just weak. Since putting the filter on the desk to use the glass pipes, the filter wasn't putting out enough water. The out flow was just a trickel and my water test show very high ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. Plus it was hard to prime and the filter, and would not prime itself. So I picked up an Ehiem 2213!!!! This thing is a beast! I love it. But my water tests are still off the charts. I don't think it is CO2 related, because my drop checker is reading green.

What do you think of the new scape? What happened to my shrimp!? Thought on Ehiem or Finnex canister filters? Was I dosing to much, was it disturbing the substrate or something else that is causing my water test to show deep red and purple?
Old 05-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #25
TopShelf_Symbiosis
Algae Grower

Bump
Old 05-22-2013, 11:56 PM   #26
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (403/100%)

Your shrimp died because your tank is going through a cycle.

Likely a result of messing with your tank too much.

What's your filter maintenance routine like? Have you changed your media? Washed it under tap water? Anything like that?
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #27
TopShelf_Symbiosis
Algae Grower

Hey Somewhat,

Thanks for the imput. It could have been poor filter maintenance or disturbing the soil. I plants that huge mat of HC, and I did not clean out the filter for 2 months. But I though I might have been ok because I only had fish in it for a few weeks at the time of the shrimp genocide. Is there one you think might be the main cuplrate? You don't think upping the dose was to blame. I am just trying to get a better understanding. Is a monthly filter cleaning called for, with new medium and stuff? I planed on doing a filter cleaning every other month.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #28
ernest
Algae Grower

in the secon picture what is spiral thing that I see inmany CO2 tanks ?
ernest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #29
jimmytruong87
I v(^o^)v shrimp

1) you do not understand how to take care shrimp
2) you use too much CO2
Old 05-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #30
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (403/100%)

If you replace your filter media, you lose all of the beneficial bacteria. If you've replaced it, that's why your tank is going through a cycle and why your shrimp died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopShelf_Symbiosis View Post
Hey Somewhat,

Thanks for the imput. It could have been poor filter maintenance or disturbing the soil. I plants that huge mat of HC, and I did not clean out the filter for 2 months. But I though I might have been ok because I only had fish in it for a few weeks at the time of the shrimp genocide. Is there one you think might be the main cuplrate? You don't think upping the dose was to blame. I am just trying to get a better understanding. Is a monthly filter cleaning called for, with new medium and stuff? I planed on doing a filter cleaning every other month.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.