Table Saw Recommendations?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 05-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
nofearengineer
Aquatic Vegetable

PTrader: (3/100%)

Table Saw Recommendations?

I'm going to build a stand for a 75-gallon.

It'll be 2x4 construction with painted plywood.

It'll be painted to match my walls.

It's going to fill my breakfast bar, as I never use it.

I'm even going to trim it out with white baseboard.

Design is covered, but construction not so much.

For those of you with woodworking/carpentry knowledge...any recommendations on a decent table saw that has enough deck to do plywood sheets in a stable fashion? It has to be portable, as I will be doing the work in a spare bedroom (my garage is already too full of my boat and 65 Impala ).

I'm not looking to become a professional cabinet maker, but I'm not inclined to buy super cheap junk either. If Home Depot sells it, all the better. I have a line of credit there.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Big Dog
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I would look into a craftmans table saw. I got one and I been using mine for several years.
Big Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
ckraft
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'd recommend having HD do most of the cutting for you. cutting plywood sheets is a serious project, especially in a confined space.
ckraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
nofearengineer
Aquatic Vegetable

My experience with HD is that they will not precision cut anything tighter than 1/4"-1/2".
Old 05-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
alexei
Algae Grower

Basically, you are looking for a portable contractor's saw. Cutting full sheets of ply on a portable is pretty rough to do safely and accurately without stable in-feed and out-feed support. If your heart is set on one the Bosch is pretty good. Unless you really want a new toy, I would recommend getting yourself a quality plywood blade, a pair of clamps and a solid straight edge combined with a good skillsaw will work just fine for most needs.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
dudebro
Algae Grower

Default Table Saw Recommendations?

Have someone cut it for you. Home Depot dos it free I think. Just know what you need beforehand.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

It's a bit of an investment. Look up the price of one.
You can rent a portable one from HD as well.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
dudebro
Algae Grower

Be nice and look helpless at HD. Also go when it's slow and let them know you need a really specific cut. those guys are usually cool about it when it's slow.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Unless you want one for other projects you don't need it. Clamp a straight edge to the plywood and use it as a fence for a circular saw. You can even make a jig with a sled for the saw to slide along which is attached to the straight edge. This offers the added benefit of easily placing the jig without adding the width of the blade to guide difference.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
nofearengineer
Aquatic Vegetable

Luckily, I have access to great interior designers here at work. I got a good suggestion on how to trim it out. It will help hide any small gaps. So I am definitely considering using a circular saw (which I already have). Good suggestion, Zorfox.

Wow, I'm excited about this build.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

i say circular saw all the way - a table saw worth anything isn't going to be worth the price or space (unless you really do enough to warrant one, in which case you'd already have one). My table saw sits, cluttered with crap and I always just reach for my circular saw. I just built a 8x16' shed, 8' tall walls + 4' loft last summer and didn't touch my table saw once. Can't imagine I'd break it out for an aquarium stand.

If you really want to play with one, though, rent! You get much better equipment, for cheap, that you don't have to store or maintain.
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #12
hamato
Algae Grower

I didn't trust HD to make good cuts, so I went to a local lumber supplier and paid them to do it. it was $1/cut but if you use a program like http://cutlistplus.com/ you can optimize your plywood usage and minimize your cuts! Good plywood is expensive and I don't think I'd trust myself to cut it accurately with just a table saw.
hamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:18 AM   #13
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckraft View Post
I'd recommend having HD do most of the cutting for you. cutting plywood sheets is a serious project, especially in a confined space.
This, HD in my area is pretty decent and as long as they aren't ridiculously busy they'll cut as accurately as they can. Seeing as it's a brand new upright panel saw I feel more confident getting them to break a sheet down than I do on my little contractor saw.

Granted, since I already have a table saw I just get them to give a little extra meat on the cut and trim to size but their cuts have always been decent enough for me.

As for the saw suggestion, well, if you want a table saw because you want a table saw, I've been happy with my Ridgid. It's the cheapie one without a stand but I built a stand for it and it's solid enough to do anything up to half a sheet.
I'd like to upgrade to a sawstop but that's a couple years down the road.
blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:15 AM   #14
rballi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

+1 on the circular saw. As long as you have enough power (15 amps) and a good plywood blade, you really won't e able to tell the difference with a good straight edge set up.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:55 AM   #15
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

When I had a table saw, a Craftsman Contractors saw, I always rough cut plywood with a "skilsaw", then did the final cut on the table saw. That makes it much easier. I also made a cross cut sled for the table saw, to make it a more stable setup, and had a wood side extension on the left side, where I could also mount my router and use the table saw rip guide with the router. And, I had an outfeed table too.