Water parameters, am I going to die?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 05-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
LiquidBoulder
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation

Water parameters, am I going to die?

Ok, got my first test kit and excited to share. I do have some concerns, both for my fishes' health and mine, but we'll get to that later.

pH
Aquarium- 8.8
Tap- 8.1

GH
Aquarium- 4 (drops)
Tap- 4

KH
Aquarium- 19
Tap- 19

I also have some ammonia (1ppm) and nitrite (.25). No Nitrate. I'm cycling, so seems like that is going well.

Now questions:

1. I keep reading both that certain shrimps need a GH/KH/pH range AND that they don't care about these values, only that it's stable. Which is true? I would like to keep rili Shrimp and tangerine shrimp one day.

2. pH in the tank is higher than the tap. Currently the tank temp is at 30C and has the HOB filter bubbling the tank. Is this rising the pH by 0.7? Seemed steep to me.

3. Should I immediately run to walmart and buy a brita filter for MYSELF and never think of drinking water out of my tap again?
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
LiquidBoulder
Algae Grower

Update:

1. Still need clarification on this one. Not sure if the pH, GH, KH parameters are good, bad or irrelevant.

2. I traced the pH rise to a rock I had in my tank. FYI, I got the rock from home depot and was labeled as a "moss boulder".

3. I also tested my tap for ammonia. Tested clear, so I guess I can live with my own water supply.

So yeah, if anyone can help me out with question #1 I would very much appreciate it!
Old 05-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Sorry to break it to you, but yup, you are going to die. Part and parcel of that whole being mortal bit. :P

Anyways, your water should be perfectly fine to drink, and that's not what's going to kill you. Also, about all the Brita filters do is remove organic impurities and chlorine (they just run it through a charcoal insert).

It's worth letting your tap water sit out for a day or two, and then try testing it. I'm not sure what all causes it, but sometimes pH and such can change after sitting around for a bit.

I'm not certain about the rock - most of the concern about rocks is whether they are carbonate (limestone, marble, dolomite, etc.), which will affect the pH and the KH (maybe GH as well...) since you don't seem to have a difference twixt tap and tank on GH or KH, I don't know if the rock is necessarily affecting the pH.

The ammonia itself may be affecting pH, but I don't know how much of an effect it would have.

So, try testing some aged tap water, and compare that to your tank water, and let us know how it looks.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
LiquidBoulder
Algae Grower

Thanks. I set a glass of water out this morning, in addition to a bowl of submerged gravel. I'm curious to see the changes between the three (tap, aged tap, gravel).

Anyone have any idea on how important the H's (pH, GH, KH) are for shrimp? Is this just an ongoing debate that I will eventually just take sides on? At this point I think I'm just going to go with the rili shrimp in a fully cycled tank and watch. I'm going to try to keep the tank as stable as possible.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
LiquidBoulder
Algae Grower

This explained a bit for me. Hope it helps someone else too.

http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/ph...aqauriums.html