Co2 system - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 05-22-2013, 11:51 PM   #16
Mantis992
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewq View Post
Thanks for the feedback, and everyones opinions. I have found two more regulators. DELUXE AQUATEK CO2, and MILWAUKEE CO2 REGULATOR. Both indicate a fine tuning knob for the needle. The MILWAUKEE seems to be more popular. Anyone ever had experience with either one of these models.
I had an aquatek regulator and the thing had a mine of its own. Some days the bubble count would be 1 bps (my desired setting) and other days it would be at 3 bps. Some people have had good luck with the Aquatek regulators, but I guess I was not one of them.
Mantis992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 11:51 PM   #17
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)

Quote:
Everbody is suggesting to buy a custom built regulator kit. Which sounds good to me, but i apologize if im skeptical buying from somebody or someone i know nothing of. Are the ADA kits the only other reliable way to go?
I understand being skeptical about buying from a stranger over the internet but Bettatail and Oldpunk are both respected members of this forum and a few other planted tank sites. You can check out their feedback and see that they're good sellers. And anymore with the use of Paypal you are protected as a buyer if the seller doesn't follow through. Like I said earlier if you want you can read through the many threads that explain how to build your own regulator and search for good deals on the web, but I have to be honest with you while it may be cheaper to build your own (like I did) it will take countless hours of searching for the right parts.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:15 AM   #18
andrewq
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Anyone selling custom built co2 regulators? Bettatail is apparently not selling any
andrewq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #19
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Everbody is suggesting to buy a custom built regulator kit. Which sounds good to me, but i apologize if im skeptical buying from somebody or someone i know nothing of. Are the ADA kits the only other reliable way to go?
I feel ya. I'm relatively new to this forum and despite the glowing reviews and talents of some on this board, I still opted to assemble my own rig. There's no right-or-wrong, it's a Venn Diagram of what you want / how much you wanna spend / what you feel comfortable with.

My personal order of preference:

-buy the parts yourself and assemble. this is my chosen route. i dig DIY. takes more homework but is ultimately more satisfying IMO.
-have a fellow hobbyist assemble for me
-buy an assembled rig from a commercial supplier

If you haven't read Darkblade's co2 primer, I'd strongly recommend it. It will give you the info to help you understand each part as well as the big picture and will prob help you decide which path is for you.
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #20
andrewq
Planted Tank Obsessed

What is the difference between using a paintball co2 setup vs a reg 5lb co2 tank? Besides the fact that a paintball tank is smaller. Im setting up a 40 gallon breeder tank, and trying to carpet baby tears.

Last edited by andrewq; 05-23-2013 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: more info on question
Old 05-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #21
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

what little i know from reading about paintball setups, I don't think it's worth it by the time you have to buy the special parts & adapters. I believe you're better off sticking with a standard tank & regulator.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #22
MrSlumpy
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have a paintball setup, and the only real reason to go with one IMO is if you have very little space for your CO2 equipment. With a 40B you should definitely be considering a full size tank if you have the space. If not, the paintball systems aren't horrible. They just require you to change the tank out more often and when you do you will likely need to get your flow adjusted properly again.

I use the Aquatek regulator specifically designed for PB tanks and the Ista max mix reactor. I like the setup but I wish I had more room for a full size tank.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #23
andrewq
Planted Tank Obsessed

Im going to use the regulators from GLA(so many to chose from), along with a 5lb co2 tank. I had thought maybe there was some major difference between the paintball tank, and regular sized tank. If its just size I would agree the bigger 5lb tank is better. Im building a custom tank stand for the 40 gallon. So should have plenty of space.
Not sure on what lighting is needed, and my first thought was to suspend the lighting over the tank (based on what i have seen from other peoples tanks). I have a 29gal that is heavily planted with amazon swords, and i never changed the factory lighting that came with hood. Plants always did well, and i figured if its working well why change it.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:01 AM   #24
rbtmccord
Algae Grower

Default Hope you know what you want

I am trying to buy through GLA and I have a couple of simple and quick to answer questions. I emailed and gave him my phone number but he will not return calls. I can imagine many good and not so good reasons to not want to use the time to call a customer but that is called customer support. I can walk into a retail store and see the seller and talk one on one. Internet you can call some and others not. Try calling GLA (no number at all) , try calling Current always message machine never had a call returned yet from them.
What if I needed support, or had an emergency ?? if you can't talk with them you at the mercy of their reading their emails.
My system would probably either be being built or already shipped by now if I could talk one on one with GLA. I would have starved to death had I not talked with my clients on the phone. If they want to email great but if they want to call then that needs to be met too or I loose business.

Oh well we will see maybe I can work with GLA yet?
rbtmccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:36 AM   #25
andrewq
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well if GLA is as good as everyone says....i would imagine there busy. Or dont want to take general questions. Im sure there bombarded with the same old questions that you could probably get answered off the website. I work in customer service, and customer relations is important. But im not going to lie. Getting the same general questions can become annoying. Tell me you want to spend money and i might be more enthusiastic. Who knows whats going on? maybe were both wrong. Regardless they have 3 yr warranty on there items. NOBODY ELSE CAN MATCH THAT

Either way, theres alot of good info in this thread about co2 systems and has been helpful to me. Thanks everybody, and i decided to go with GLA too.

Couple of things that sold me.

ULTIMATE CO2 REGULATOR-$289.99
•Industrial grade Smith series regulator body.
•Super Precise Fabco NV-55 needle valve.
•Sure-Seat technology blocks debris from entering the high pressure seat.
•Innovative design provides extreme accuracy, dependability, and durability.
•Functions to minimize increase in output pressure as pressure drops in gas cylinder.
•World class, custom GLA solenoid valve.
•GLA's new & advanced bubble counter sets a new standard in CO2.
•3 year warranty

◦Super Precise needle valve
◦No end-of-tank dumps
◦12 turns from shut off to full open
◦40 threads per inch for precision metering
Decay / Rise - as pressure drops in the gas cylinder, the GLA Smith series regulator is designed to minimize the resulting increase in outlet pressure, thus resulting in reduced gas costs, reduced cylinder handling, and improved accuracy.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:39 AM   #26
steveo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtmccord View Post
I am trying to buy through GLA and I have a couple of simple and quick to answer questions. I emailed and gave him my phone number but he will not return calls. I can imagine many good and not so good reasons to not want to use the time to call a customer but that is called customer support. I can walk into a retail store and see the seller and talk one on one. Internet you can call some and others not. Try calling GLA (no number at all) , try calling Current always message machine never had a call returned yet from them.
What if I needed support, or had an emergency ?? if you can't talk with them you at the mercy of their reading their emails.
My system would probably either be being built or already shipped by now if I could talk one on one with GLA. I would have starved to death had I not talked with my clients on the phone. If they want to email great but if they want to call then that needs to be met too or I loose business.

Oh well we will see maybe I can work with GLA yet?
I too wanted to buy from GLA, yet they blew my e-mails off. Instead, placed an order for a Reef Fanatic CO2 regulator and Aqua Medic diffuser with Aqua Cave. They accepted phone calls, had good prices and provided first class customer service. GLA's model for doing business is a 'turn off'.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:19 AM   #27
MrSlumpy
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I just emailed gla (via their website) a few days ago and got a reply pretty quickly.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #28
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
I too wanted to buy from GLA, yet they blew my e-mails off. Instead, placed an order for a Reef Fanatic CO2 regulator and Aqua Medic diffuser with Aqua Cave. They accepted phone calls, had good prices and provided first class customer service. GLA's model for doing business is a 'turn off'.

as i have bought from GLA and at one point assumed a had a leak i nmy regulator
the customer service though slow, is superb. Orlando pressure tested my regulator for 3 days under different circumstances and found no leaks and sent it back for no charge.

HE will respond if you give him time.
aquacave is a huge warehouse not run by a hobbyist. they have a much larger staff than a hobbyist run company such as GLA
Old 05-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #29
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

my own experience with GLA left a bad taste in my mouth; i already had my regulator body from my brewing endeavors, so I only needed solenoid, needle valve, and I was really turned on my their slick-looking bubble counters. since they splash the word "custom" all over their website, I emailed them about just getting what I needed, instead of a whole assembly like is on their website. the email response was prompt enough, but somewhat curt. turns out they will not built anything custom. the assemblies you see on their website is all they offer. i emailed back asking about just purchasing individual parts, again a fairly prompt but even more curt reply. nope. I didn't bother emailing them again to tell them they are misusing the term "custom build" to describe what they do.

i don't doubt the quality of their product is good. (it better be for the prices they charge!) i didn't bother checking since I didn't make a purchase from them, but I would hope their return policy is good, too.

funny - after failing to get what i wanted from GLA, I too ordered a couple things from AquaCave! Even though they're not far from where I work, it's the opposite direction from home, so I just did an internet order and had it shipped. Blazingly fast shipping and great email communication about my order.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #30
andrewq
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default DIY 40 gallon breeder stand

So this my first DIY stand, and i got to say I am pretty impressed with my own handy work. Never really built anything or used a saw, but this build was relatively simple. Not yet done, but i still got to add plywood to sides and front. Also going to put cabinet style doors, and paint dark brown. The stand feels extremely sturdy, and so far spent about $40. Total estimated cost $80. I will post more updates in the future
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0282.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	158601  

Name:	IMG_0283.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	158609