CO2 diffusers
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-22-2013, 04:05 AM   #1
LarionOak
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

CO2 diffusers

Can anyone share their experience with the glass CO2 diffusers? Or even with any of the methods for diffusing CO2 into the water?

I once found a thread here that explained the ins and outs of different CO2 diffusion methods, but cannot find it so sorry for the repeat thread!
LarionOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 04:25 AM   #2
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Glass/ceramic diffusers work very well, depending on which one, I like the Pollen Glass best for consistency.

There are also atomic diffusers, CO2 reactors and needle wheel pumps.

I would use a pollen glass on very large tanks even for the ease of use, as shown at the ADA gallery, where they have 180g and 240g tanks that use two diffusers.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
bitFUUL
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Green makes some great points. What size tank? Makes a big difference.

[50g][30g][18g][12g][11.4g][7.5g][7.13g][5.5g][4.1g][3g] - [grow][pond]
bitFUUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I am a fan of in-line reactors. I like efficiency in my CO2 diffusion, as it's a PITA to deal with the empty CO2 tank.
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:14 AM   #5
LarionOak
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the replies.

Green flash, I will look into the pollen glass diffusers. What makes them more efficient?

BitFUUL, I have a 55 gallon tank. What would you recommend for that tank size?
LarionOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:24 AM   #6
bitFUUL
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

For a larger tank like 55 gallons, I'd personally go with one of GLA's atomic diffusers, one of the larger ones.
Great diffusion rate, just be careful with the screw on nut piece, don't over tighten it or it will break. Besides that, love mine!

[50g][30g][18g][12g][11.4g][7.5g][7.13g][5.5g][4.1g][3g] - [grow][pond]
bitFUUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:27 AM   #7
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

I second the whole inline thing. Works super well for me, nice green drop checker in my 75 gallon.
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
melanotaenia
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

I like the ADA series of Pollen Glass; I have the Type-3 and just ordered one of their 40mm size diffusers. Pricey, but I have been through a lot of cheaper ones and these are clearly superior (never tried GLA product however)
melanotaenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
sacme
Planted Member

I have a similar question that kinda fits in, hope im not being a pain. What kind of diffuser would you suggest for DIY yeast CO2 in a 20long? Thanks
sacme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:33 AM   #10
steveo
Algae Grower

Just bought and am using a glass/ceramic diffuser (Reactor 100- Aqua Medic). Am using it in my 56 gallon column tank and it works great! Bought on-line at Aqua Cave for around $15.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:55 AM   #11
andrewq
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

I heard the atomic diffusers take more pressure in order to work efficiently. Also the inline reactors seem to be the most efficient way of diffusing co2. Just my opinion, but if the inline mixes the co2 prematurely wouldnt that be a no brainer.
andrewq is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:34 AM   #12
chew
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
Default CO2 diffusers

Atomic ones usually take 30+ psi to work. If you want the most efficient way do an inline reactor as you will get 100% diffusion if done right. I personally like the mist on smaller tanks that you get from ceramic and atomic diffusers because you can see the flow
Old 05-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #13
D-Linquent
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chew View Post
Atomic ones usually take 30+ psi to work. If you want the most efficient way do an inline reactor as you will get 100% diffusion if done right. I personally like the mist on smaller tanks that you get from ceramic and atomic diffusers because you can see the flow
I agree. It's good to know there aren't any dead spots in the tank.

Also, you might research what is better for the plants. I remember reading on the forums that the mist is better for the plants. I don't know how true that is though. I haven't really looked into it.
D-Linquent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #14
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacme View Post
I have a similar question that kinda fits in, hope im not being a pain. What kind of diffuser would you suggest for DIY yeast CO2 in a 20long? Thanks
as others have said, diffusers will require a certain pressure to operate (push the gas through the line, down to a pressure underwater, and through the tiny holes). usually DIY co2 will not work very well because other parts of the system will blow before you're at a working pressure.

as an aside, I also have a theory about yeast and pressure. after observing how yeast behaves when fermenting on countless batches of different kinds of beer and yeast, and bottle conditioning, I have a theory that yeast slows when under pressure. i've discussed this with other brewers and while anecdotal evidence seems to be supportive, the jury is still out. i'm not ready to push all my chips in on that just yet.

but that might be more than you cared to know...
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #15
JasterMake
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default CO2 diffusers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheeledGoat View Post
as others have said, diffusers will require a certain pressure to operate (push the gas through the line, down to a pressure underwater, and through the tiny holes). usually DIY co2 will not work very well because other parts of the system will blow before you're at a working pressure.

as an aside, I also have a theory about yeast and pressure. after observing how yeast behaves when fermenting on countless batches of different kinds of beer and yeast, and bottle conditioning, I have a theory that yeast slows when under pressure. i've discussed this with other brewers and while anecdotal evidence seems to be supportive, the jury is still out. i'm not ready to push all my chips in on that just yet.

but that might be more than you cared to know...
That would be awesome.. If you could find a yeast that slowed production at X psi, then a low pressure regulator would control the rate of CO2 production by the yeast. Making diy last longer and easily controllable with a low pressure regulator or a quality needle valve..

I know for a fact that "RedStar instant start" does not work like this. That stuff goes crazy fast.

I someone was going to try this, what yeast would you recommend?
JasterMake is offline   Reply With Quote