Building my own CO2 system vs. buying from GLA
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 05-23-2013, 02:48 AM   #1
howgeneric
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Building my own CO2 system vs. buying from GLA

I've been doing some preliminary research on pressurized CO2.

I put together a quick list of the most basic parts that I would need to acquire:

5lb Aluminum Tank - $99
Regulator - $45
Needle Valve - 35

All in all, an investment of ~$200.

Now, I also checked out GLA's prebuilt CO2 system: http://greenleafaquariums.com/comple...o2-system.html

A price tag of $330, which comes with the basic tank/regulator/needle valve, but also a timer, bubble counter, solenoid, plus the reduced hassle. I'm starting to think the extra price tag is worth it.

Would you recommend this specific GLA product? Also, do you know if these systems are shipped filled or empty?
howgeneric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 03:13 AM   #2
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Wow, even today the price of a custom regulator stands the test of time. To be fair I won't mention the person's name but Concoa 212 regulator with solenoid and better needle, price?

230 USD.

But if you must go retail, GLA offers the best out there - in retail that is.
FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2013, 03:56 AM   #3
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (82/98%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by howgeneric View Post
I've been doing some preliminary research on pressurized CO2.

I put together a quick list of the most basic parts that I would need to acquire:

5lb Aluminum Tank - $99
Regulator - $45
Needle Valve - 35

All in all, an investment of ~$200.

Now, I also checked out GLA's prebuilt CO2 system: http://greenleafaquariums.com/comple...o2-system.html

A price tag of $330, which comes with the basic tank/regulator/needle valve, but also a timer, bubble counter, solenoid, plus the reduced hassle. I'm starting to think the extra price tag is worth it.

Would you recommend this specific GLA product? Also, do you know if these systems are shipped filled or empty?
Do not compare, some of the metering valves on DIY systems alone, with the price tag well over a complete GLA set.
And you can buy a 5LB CO2 tank from beverage element for around $50, new annd fresh tested.
Bettatail is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Yeah, I agree that you should be able to get a better price for a tank somewhere. Even brand new at my local fire extinguisher shop, a 5# is $60, and that's filled. And I don't even consider that bargain hunting - that's premium convenience and service.

I think you're on the right track w/ the regultor and Fabco needle valve.

But speaking of "premium" - GLA, wow. If you've got the money and don't have that DIY bug that a lot of us have (enjoy putting stuff together), then GLA might be the right choice.

I personally gleen a good bit of satisfaction from taking the reins, so to speak. Plus, you gain a good bit of knowledge about your equipment and are better suited to diagnose a problem when you've researched each individual part and assembled it yourself.

Lastly, I fully support the move to co2; just be ready - the cost is going to be maybe $50-$100 more than you think. All the sundries that you're not focusing on right now as you shop for the tank & regulator; drop checker, reactor/diffuser, timer, KH test kit, various connecting pieces and elbows if you're assembling yourself...
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
howgeneric
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I'll look around for a cheaper tank. I chose the one I did because it came pre-filled, but maybe there are better deals out there.

Clearly I still need to do some more research--I'm not sure where I could learn more about custom built regulators and their benefits.

At this point it's still the early stages of the project One step at a time!
howgeneric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.