230 gallon on first floor apt, is it safe? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #16
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeit View Post
Thanks guys! What do you mean by 16" on center? I've pulled some concrete and found tile, will see if I can pull a tile up
Its a technical term. The floor joists should be somewhere in the area of 16" apart and builders usually measure from the center of one joist to the center of the next.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 04:53 AM   #17
Check
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Are there hvac vents in the floor or are they in the walls or ceiling? It sounds to me like its a slab. I can't imagine there being floor joists unless the floor is suspended above either a crawl space or basement. It is possible for there to be plywood over a slab but it would be directly on top of it. Pull up a corner of carpet it will go back in place without damage. If there are vents in the floor you have floor joists for sure because the ducts will be running between them.
Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #18
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'd suggest building some sort of secondary containment, but it would get pretty big/difficult for a tank that size. Easy way is to take a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood, put 2" x 4"s on edge along the perimeter, and seal it with epoxy or put in a vinyl shower pan liner or something. But that only holds ~60ish gallons, and even using 2"x6" will only get you up to about ~100 gallons.

Anyways, even if the floor is okay, if you get a leak, that water is probably going to get in the walls, and potentially cause damage.

Also, does your lease specify anything about waterbeds? (whether they are specifically permitted, not allowable, allowable with permission, etc.)
lochaber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #19
Psycofc1
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

When you walk in your house do, do you step up about 6 inches? if yes then your joists are sitting on a slab. If you drop a hard ball like a pool ball on the floor does it sound hollow like a dull thud or a quick sharp sound? if its sharp you have no space and your floor is laid straight on to the slab.
Psycofc1 is online now   Reply With Quote