230 gallon on first floor apt, is it safe? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #16
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeit View Post
Thanks guys! What do you mean by 16" on center? I've pulled some concrete and found tile, will see if I can pull a tile up
Its a technical term. The floor joists should be somewhere in the area of 16" apart and builders usually measure from the center of one joist to the center of the next.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 05:53 AM   #17
Check
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Are there hvac vents in the floor or are they in the walls or ceiling? It sounds to me like its a slab. I can't imagine there being floor joists unless the floor is suspended above either a crawl space or basement. It is possible for there to be plywood over a slab but it would be directly on top of it. Pull up a corner of carpet it will go back in place without damage. If there are vents in the floor you have floor joists for sure because the ducts will be running between them.
Check is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #18
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'd suggest building some sort of secondary containment, but it would get pretty big/difficult for a tank that size. Easy way is to take a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood, put 2" x 4"s on edge along the perimeter, and seal it with epoxy or put in a vinyl shower pan liner or something. But that only holds ~60ish gallons, and even using 2"x6" will only get you up to about ~100 gallons.

Anyways, even if the floor is okay, if you get a leak, that water is probably going to get in the walls, and potentially cause damage.

Also, does your lease specify anything about waterbeds? (whether they are specifically permitted, not allowable, allowable with permission, etc.)
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #19
Psycofc1
Planted Member

When you walk in your house do, do you step up about 6 inches? if yes then your joists are sitting on a slab. If you drop a hard ball like a pool ball on the floor does it sound hollow like a dull thud or a quick sharp sound? if its sharp you have no space and your floor is laid straight on to the slab.
Psycofc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2014, 12:25 AM   #20
FDNY911
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Hey Bro! Hows everything going with this tank? How you been?

New Journal:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...20-gallon.html

Old Journal:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...en-down-4.html

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #461
Two 2217s and 2215.
FDNY911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2014, 12:34 AM   #21
secuono
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/96%)

Did you ask the home owners???
They SHOULD know.

If the tank is narrow and tall, it might be too much weight for a concrete slab. Might have to build a platform for it to help distribute the weight.
Another issue is if there is any erosion under the slab. No one will know until you fill up the tank, concrete cracks and there's a 1-4in gap. "Holmes on Homes" Showed that little hidden issue.
secuono is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #22
flight50
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check View Post
Are there hvac vents in the floor or are they in the walls or ceiling? It sounds to me like its a slab. I can't imagine there being floor joists unless the floor is suspended above either a crawl space or basement. It is possible for there to be plywood over a slab but it would be directly on top of it. Pull up a corner of carpet it will go back in place without damage. If there are vents in the floor you have floor joists for sure because the ducts will be running between them.
I agree. It sounds very odd that the house rest above grade without there being a crawl space. I assume that the house is slab on grade. No reinforcement necessary typically. There is a standard psi rating for concrete slabs. I don't remember the exact number but its at 3500 lbs psi. Also if you place the tank on a perimeter wall it helps as you can add peirs on the perimeter if necessary. Having the tank wider that taller is the key. Wide footprints will distribute the weight over the floor surface a lot safer no matter if the floor is wood or concrete. There is no way to reinforce a slab on grade cheaply on the interior portion of the house. Because I doubt if you want to tear up the floor to install interior piers.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2014, 07:49 AM   #23
navarro1950
Algae Grower

You haven't said anything about the stand or are you planing on leaving your tank on the floor? I have a 125gal tank and I built my stand using 4x4s (6) and 2x4s roughly (10) and covered with 3/4in plywood. My stand weighs about 250lbs. My house is 5' off the ground and the sills are 14'' to the center. What I did was cut 2x4s at a 45 degree angle and screwed them to the bottom of the stand to distribute the weight of the tank. Basically the 2x4s look like a frame. Think about doing that to your stand. Just an idea.
navarro1950 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #24
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

PTrader: (107/100%)

It's pretty easy to figure out if you're on a slab or not. If you're on a raised foundation, there will be some kind of access somewhere outside. Ground level vents, a crawl space, ect.

230 gallons in an apartment? Something tells me you're not asking if that's OK or not. lol Anyways, the apartment management would know.
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2014, 09:54 PM   #25
Jeromeit
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDNY911 View Post
Hey Bro! Hows everything going with this tank? How you been?
Hey man! Long time! It's been a year since planning and the tank still isn't done lmao!!! Just a lot of road bumps just waiting for u glass to come in and we'll be in business shortly. Plans changed to a 180 gallon starphire eurobraced peninsula tank. The 230 I found on Craigslist ended up chipping in transit so we decided to just go completely brand new custom.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:38 PM   #26
DudeonThaCouch
Algae Grower

I'd be more worried about the lease/contract your in for the living space you have. Unless you own it. If it's allowed and if they have flood insurance & water damage insurance, and you have (if you rent) renters insurance that covers fish tanks in case it would break for any reason or cause damage. Any tank is just that a tank to insurance companies most will cover appliances leaking water but not all cover tanks.

That said, I'd just check you insurance and theirs to see what is and isn't covered and then go from there, anything over a 75 gallon sure be insured. If it breaks like mine did before you wouldn't like the bill lol it cost me a good $10,000 to rebuild a room that I owned.
DudeonThaCouch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 03:41 AM   #27
goodbytes
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckraft View Post
Try calling the city or county building department, they may have records from when the permit was issued.
In New York you can go down to the Records Room of your borough's Department of Buildings office and see if they have the plans for you residence. Doesn't cost a thing to look at them but you can't take them with you.
New York also has a Building Information System that may have your place listed in which case you could just get that information online.
goodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 03:52 AM   #28
fishbone11
Algae Grower

There is no way a residential floor is rated for a "live weight" load over a ton in a small foot print. Not even close.
fishbone11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #29
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

Humm? Not wanting to step on a good read but has anybody noticed that the OP has already responded that he has totally moved on and changed the plan since he posted in early 2013?
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.