DIY CO2 yeast solution spill
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-23-2013, 04:41 AM   #1
blueshark
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

DIY CO2 yeast solution spill

I woke up this morning and found that my 2 liter DIY CO2 bottle knocked over. It didn't seem that the amount of solution in the bottle changed very much (probably .5-1 inch), so I didn't think much of it. I tested ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate just to make sure the water parameters were okay, and observed my fish for a while, and everything seemed fine.

Later in the afternoon, I notice my fish breathing heavily and that my water was cloudy. I immediately thought about the knocked over DIY CO2 bottle. I figured that the cloudiness must have come from the solution leaking into the tank, and that there must be low oxygen levels in the water. I immediately changed 1/3 of the water, and a few hours later, I did 50% water change. I also lowered the water level a bit so that the power filter aerates the water a little better. I also noticed some algae growth pop up today; could that be attributed to stuff in the CO2 solution? What else should I do other than doing water changes every day until the water clears up? Thanks.
blueshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 05:03 AM   #2
blueshark
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Also might be worth noting that the DIY yeast solution was toward the end of its usefulness (~3.5 weeks after initial set up).
blueshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

The water changes you did should have helped get rid of any yeast solution that made its way into the aquarium. I would just continue to monitor the situation; if you see any fish struggling to breathe, then some more water changes cannot really hurt.

Your algae problem is probably unrelated to the yeast solution getting into the aquarium, but is most likely due to the lower levels of CO2 (due to your solution getting towards the end of its useful life).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote