DIY spray bar questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 05-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

DIY spray bar questions

Even though there are threads on this i didnt wanna high jack there thread. I have a cascade 1000 and an emperor 400 running on my 75 gallon. Flow sucks plain and simple. I bought the cascade used and the outflow was broken so i ordered one online. When it came the end was the wrong size so i had to use a reducer to get it to work. Needless to say the flow sucks. and im having huge algae issues now. So i was thinking of doing a DIY spray bar. Considering the filter isnt huge i was gonna run it down the side at 14" long pushing water from one side to another rather then along the back of the tank and twice as long as that size as i dont think it will push that much water. Or maybe im wrong???
Id really like to get rid of the emperor, its ugly and loud. But if i did the spray bar and a big enough powerhead on the opposite side would it be enough flow?

As far as the spray bar should i run it the same diameter are the hose or step it up to a 3/4"?
tattooedfool83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

I use 1/2" PVC for my spray bars. I have always put my spraybars along the back to keep adequate water movement throughout the tank without needing extra powerheads. Most tubing is 5/8" so a small reduction to the 1/2" pipe will increase pressure just a bit. As long as you don't drill a ton of holes in the pipe, it should be enough to go across the back of the tank. I usually put a hole about every 2".
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

So then how long of a piece of pvc do you use? And you think my cascade 1000 will have enough power to move a good amount of water?
tattooedfool83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

1/2" will be a good size as stated above. The only thing I would add is don't drill the holes in a straight line, for better better flow throughout the tank have some holes so the flow will will spray down and the next one so it agitates the surface... And so on.

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote