Anorexic Shrimp?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 05-22-2013, 03:57 AM   #1
marley_kitty
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Anorexic Shrimp?

I have about a dozen Crystal Red Shrimp who don't seem to like the food I feed them. They are in a 2.5 gallon with some snails, no fish or other shrimp. The temp is about 73-75, with ammonia testing at 0, nitrite testing at 0, and nitrate always tests under 10ppm. My water PH is a little high at about 7.5 with a GH of about 6 dH and a KH of 3 dH.

They seem active enough, they mostly spend their time looking for food on the driftwood. They don't seem interested in algae wafers or the Fluval shrimp granules I bought them, although the snails sure are. I've even tried feeding them blanched spinach because I read they liked it, but was a no go.

Is it normal for them to ignore food? Are they getting enough food off of the driftwood maybe that they aren't interested in what I'm feeding them? I haven't been feeding them very often, because if they aren't going to eat it why bother ruining the water quality with decaying food. I give them something about every 5 days just to see if they'll go for it and they never have. I've been doing this for about 3 weeks now and am starting to get concerned.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 05:03 AM   #2
mjbn
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

My CRS haven't touched my BW Spinach or Grow.. I do know that I have lots of algae and little microscopic stuff in my tank that they like so as long as they're eating something, I'm fine with that.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Try a little nub of green bean. Spirulina flakes might be accepted as well.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #4
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

My shrimps snub the expensive foods and always eat like fish food or blanched spinach haha. They are divas, only eating the shrimp food once a week, but as long as they forage, they should be fine
pandamonium is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
etane
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/88%)

How old are they?
Old 05-22-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
marley_kitty
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by etane View Post
How old are they?
It varies. I bought them from my local pet store and some look full grown while others are about half the size of the full grown ones, as well as some inbetween.

If other people's shrimp don't eat the food they're fed maybe I won't worry. I know they are eating something off the driftwood but I just don't know if its enough to feed all of them on an ongoing basis.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #7
Puddles
Suspended

PTrader: (26/100%)

I have had CBS for over a month now and they haven't touched a single food I have put in the tank, and I have tried 8-10 at this point. I see poop in the tank, so they are feeding on the biofilm. I just keep trying every few days thinking they must run out of biofilm at some point. I have berried females so they aren't starving.
Puddles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #8
ShyShrimpDoc
ScrimpMaster

PTrader: (10/100%)

I tried a few if the expensive foods with my CRS. They won't touch them. They love the marine pellets with garlic though. They go nuts for that stuff. They will forage on blanched zucchini a little, but not much. They do a lot of biofilm and tender algae eating. They won't touch algae wafers either. Another one they like us sushi wrap. Be careful though. I always test it out in my feeder shrimp first because I read some batches come loaded with copper and can kill.
ShyShrimpDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
Forumsnow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)

I noticed my oebt and supreme reds didn't really touch commercial food when I got them. But now that the population is ten times the size, I am seeing the shrimp balls people post all the time. Also try not feeding them anything for like 4 days and see if they don't go for it then. There may just be plenty of natural food for the population size you have where they do not feel like they have to go crazy for prepared foods.
Forumsnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

they wont feed on foods if they are grazing on the rest of the tank the entire day or were fed daily. stretch out the feeding days and try again.

Tags
crystal red shrimp, feeding, shrimp food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.