DIY Quick Disconnects With Flow Control
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 05-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
neilshieh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)

DIY Quick Disconnects With Flow Control

I wanted to get some quick disconnects for my canister filter and the commercially available ones are terribly expensive. 20-25 dollars shipped for EACH one??? a bit too rich for my tastes

So I looked around for some diy versions and couldn't find any i liked. Here are some that i found....

this one i'm not too sure how that's even a quick disconnect at all... but either way it's wayyy too bulky

here's a second one. I'm wary of using brass fittings and this one doesn't offer any sort of flow control so tossed this one out

Anyways, spent half and hour at home depot and osh and finally found the parts i needed. Total came up to be ~13 dollars which is a steal really compared to the 40-50 ish dollars i'd have spent otherwise on brand name quick disconnects, and it looks pretty nice and compact. EVERYTHING IS PVC OR POLYURETHANE SO IT'S VERY SAFE

Alright enough chit chat. What makes a quick disconnect quick is that you can shut off the flow on both ends and easily take the two parts apart for maintenance and cleaning. So after thinking for a bit, i decided i need a swivel fitting. If you don't know what a swivel fitting is, imagine your garden hose, you can attach the hose without having to twist the whole hose. Obviously that'd be useful here for the quick disconnect portion between the two ball valves. I wasn't able to find any 1/2 x 1/2 swivel fittings so i opted for 1/2 x 3/4 swivel fitting with a 3/4 x 1/2 male male bushing.

here's the list of parts for 2 quick disconnects for 5/8" tubing

Stuff from OSH
go to the irrigation/plumbing section
gray 1/2 insert MIP Adapter (03856135405 P/N 350405). It's a 1/2 barb x 1/2 npt fitting but it works for our standard 5/8" tubing. (4)
only these 1/2 barb fittings will fit our 5/8" tubing, 1/2 barbs at HD don't work

Stuff from Home Depot
all of this stuff is in the plumbing section/pvc pipes so it's really easy to find, the fittings are by orbit

032888071339 1/2" PVC Ball Valve (2)
046878533653 1/2" MPT x 3/4" FHT PVC Swivel (2)
046878672177 1/2" x 3/4" MPT Poly Riser Adapter (2)

Assembly
should be pretty straightforward.

Screw them in tight!

base without barbs comes out to be ~8-8.5"

Final length is ~9.5 inches
not bad if i say so myself. now you may be wondering why I saw it's 9.5" when clearly the picture shows it's longer, that's because these barbs are LONG, I'm not counting the length of the barb inside the tubing. Observe

Thanks for reading! hope it helps someone. It's a easy 10 minute job and you save money!
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
SBPyro
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (31/100%)

Should grab a union fitting which is what is on the first example you posted.
It is best describe like this.
http://s3.pexsupply.com/images/produ.../498-005-1.jpg
SBPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:23 AM   #3
the_deeb
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Unions work very well to quick connect/disconnect and keep leak free, but I'm not familiar with swivels. Is that just a FPT into MPT connection or is it more like a union? The gasket does not seem as large as on a union so I'm wondering if it's more difficult to get a leak free seal without sealing the threads. This might not matter depending on the flow rates and pressure of your setup.

I would also generally favor glued slip fittings rather than threaded fittings for all the parts except for the disconnect (i.e. the connections between the hose barbs and the ball valves and the union and the ball valves) so that there's no risk of them twisting and leaking in the course of unscrewing the disconnect.

Might be able to make it even more compact by using a half union ball valve connected to a regular ball valve, or maybe just a half union ball valve (I've found that I don't always need a ball valve on both ends of my quick disconnects).

Here's the half union ball valve leading to my pump to give a better example of what I mean (you can ignore all the other stuff in the picture and just imagine a hose barb sticking out of the union) :

Last edited by the_deeb; 05-23-2013 at 04:42 AM.. Reason: added pic
the_deeb is offline   Reply With Quote