How fast does HC grow?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
sacme
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

How fast does HC grow?

So I have planted 3 HC plants in my 20g long, doing a DSM, with high lighting. Just wondering how long it takes to grow? I've had it for a little less than a week and I know it's not going to magically grow in 2 days. It's seems to have gotten a little greener and looking healthier since I bought it, which I'm really happy about, it also looks like it's begun to grow a little, haven't seen any new sprouts though. Im just really excited to get my tank fully operating with livestock and everything, but I'm not rushing. Just out of curiosity how long does it take to grow?

Thanks
sacme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I did a little experiment a few moths ago with HC and its growth. I sprinkled some of my trimmings into 3" plastic pots filled with soil and placed them in seperate emersed setups. Each setup had a different light source above here are the results.

The time it took was based on how long it took to carpet the entire pot so i couldnt see the dirt underneath. Lights were switched on for a total of 7 hours a day.

Marineland Double bright LED - 62 days
Odyssea 2x 54w T5 - 41 days
Finnex Fugeray - 33 days

So the answer to your question, it will depend on the lighting you are using and for how long those lights are on.

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

It depends on conditions as stated. It also depends on what you're looking for. A full carpet before flooding versus adequate root structure to keep plants submersed. For the latter probably a month, which I assume is what you're looking for. Rushing will only lead to a nice bunch of HC floaters when flooded.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
sacme
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 View Post
I did a little experiment a few moths ago with HC and its growth. I sprinkled some of my trimmings into 3" plastic pots filled with soil and placed them in seperate emersed setups. Each setup had a different light source above here are the results.

The time it took was based on how long it took to carpet the entire pot so i couldnt see the dirt underneath. Lights were switched on for a total of 7 hours a day.

Finnex Fugeray - 33 days

So the answer to your question, it will depend on the lighting you are using and for how long those lights are on.

Wow thanks, thats actually very useful/interesting. Im using t5 light and there's saran wrap on top to trap the CO2 and speed up the growth. Im not looking to fully cover but just a good solid root system. Thanks
Old 05-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
sacme
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
It depends on conditions as stated. It also depends on what you're looking for. A full carpet before flooding versus adequate root structure to keep plants submersed. For the latter probably a month, which I assume is what you're looking for. Rushing will only lead to a nice bunch of HC floaters when .
Im waiting to get a solid root system. I dont want to rush in because of that reason, dont want plants to float up. I'll wait patiently but anxiously. Watching it grow everyday What is a latter? Seen the word used a lot around here but im not sure what it means.
Thanks for the feedback
Old 05-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Latter is a word that describes something nearer to the end than the beginning. For example, I want white or black walls. For the latter use black paint.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
sacme
Planted Member

Oh alright, thanks
Old 05-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
MrSlumpy
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Finnex Fugeray - 33 days
I'm curious, how far were the lights from the plants? And what kind of soil did you use? If I can grow HC carpet in a month with a Fugeray I will be a happy dude!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

The lights were all sat on top of the 10 gallon tanks. The fugeray light did have its 2-3" legs. I doubt in 1 month I would of had a tank fully carpeted but it did fill a 3" pot in that time. The soils was just miracle grow potting soil misted once a day and the tank had about 2" of water in the bottom of the tank.

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #10
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (171/100%)

I'd also like to toss in that Humidity plays a part as well.

Quote:

Finnex Fugeray - 33 days

Old 05-22-2013, 11:09 PM   #11
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacme View Post
What is a latter? Seen the word used a lot around here but im not sure what it means.
To make it easier, in a list of multiple options/choices when someone says the latter of the two, it pretty much means the last last option in that list. Typically referring to the option of choice or the culprit of something.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - Duo DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.