melafix dosed and activated carbon removed hmm
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 05-21-2013, 05:39 AM   #1
snakeskin
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

melafix dosed and activated carbon removed hmm

So one of my shrimps was showing signs of bacterial infection. I dosed melafix and removed the activated carbon as the directions indicated I should. I went out town for the weekend and turned off my co2 just in case.

When I returned all the mosses which had been in the tank for maybe 2 weeks or longer had sprouted new growth which they hadn't up until that point and all the plants seemed to have grown quite a bit.

Is this just a coincidence? I want to hear some theories!

Does co2 inhibit moss growth?
Does activated carbon remove ferts from the water column?
Is melafix magic?

Tank specs:

Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate: 0
ph: 7.0-7.5
GH: 12
KH: 5
CO2 injection
2x 40W CFL
5 gallon hex
dose ferts 2x weekly
biweekly water changes 20%
8 yellow shrimp
2 month old aquarium
snakeskin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
Bubba Shrimp
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I dont' know but I got some metafix and put it in every two weeks. I keep the carbon in because I read somewhere you don't need to take it out. I haven't noticed and plant growth changes.

Guy: "I have Algae on my drift wood!"

Pet Clerk: "Take two Plecos and call me next week."

EHEIM Classic 2213
Check out my blog
tsturgeonblog.wordpress.com/
Bubba Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (440/100%)

You shouldn't need to use carbon in a planted tank unless you want to remove medication. It could, lots of factors depending, remove ferts from the water.

It's also fine to use Melafix while using CO2 and dosing ferts. What led you to believe your tank was suffering a bacterial infection?

Moss growth could be a coincidence, since the seasons have changed and weather is changing. CO2 doesn't inhibit moss growth.

My guess is that the moss growth is a combination of seasonal changes and you being away for a week - making it seem like the moss growth was even more noticeable, as you hadn't been watching the tank on a daily basis.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
snakeskin
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
You shouldn't need to use carbon in a planted tank unless you want to remove medication. It could, lots of factors depending, remove ferts from the water.

It's also fine to use Melafix while using CO2 and dosing ferts. What led you to believe your tank was suffering a bacterial infection?
The carbon just came in a filter pad and I never thought to remove it. From now on should I just remove it when I change filter pads?

One of the shrimp seemed to be cloudy with definite white patches forming on his tail. The melafix did seem to have cleared it up. I didn't think there would be a problem with melafix and co2/ferts, I just didn't want to complicate things for the people watching my tank for me over the weekend.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (440/100%)

What kind of filter are you running? You should never need to change filter pads unless it's something like a fine/floss polishing pad in an Eheim.

Sponges almost never need to be replaced over the life of a tank (or several lives over several tanks). Just rinse them in your water change water and you're set.

I like to keep carbon on-hand for the off chance I need to remove meds or something but that's about the only time it's ever been necessary in a planted tank.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
snakeskin
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have an internal filter, the tetra quiet flow. It is one of those removable filter pads with a pocket on the inside with activated carbon. I have never changed the filter yet but assuming it gets really grimy or something it might be necessary.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.