1g nano planted shrimp experiment - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 04-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #16
Pdxseth
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

1g nano planted shrimp experiment

Looks good, I kind of want one now, but the hygro and limphnophilla seem a bit large for the tank. I would replace at least one of them with something smaller and still easy to grow like rotala rotudifolia. In quite interested to see how that would look. I can send you a few stems if you'd like.
Pdxseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #17
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

I was just thinking the same thing tonight when I was taking pictures. I actually just threw some in last night and I have some lindernia rotundifolia I could throw in as well. Thanks though!
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
SupaTanks
Algae Grower

Default Re: 1g nano planted shrimp experiment

Love the pictures! Makes me wanna get another tank xD
Old 04-22-2013, 12:22 AM   #19
thelub

So after a few weeks of letting this tank do its thing on its own, I decided to drop a couple shrimp in to see how they would fare. No testing of water before doing so. Within a couple hours they died. I think the PH was too low. Last time I checked it was 6.0 maybe lower. I'm guessing an immediate 1.5 PH point drop is pretty stressful for PFR's.

Guess I'll have to check parameters before dropping in some more. Will have to wait until after the move before I try again.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #20
Nanaki

Woah, crazy, dude... Not that I'm an expert by any means, but this was the first time I've heard of triops. Upside down, those things remind me of one of the stages of the Alien creature... ::twilight music::

In any case, love the look of the nanotank. Any chance you can score us some close up pics of the shrimp you're breeding? Or perhaps this totally went over my head, and you're just setting up the tank at the moment and don't have the shrimp yet? In which case... just curious as to what type are you currently considering breeding?
Nanaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:24 AM   #21
thelub

They are VERY alien looking. The bigger they get, the creepier.

I was going to put PFR's in there, but as hard as its been to cycle this thing I might not put anything in it.

Here are some of the stock that are in a 10g that I was going to put in this nano. Excuse the ramshorn love nest.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:50 AM   #22
Bropez
Algae Grower

I had this same filter and I tried to do a fishless cycle on it with just gravel and water in the tank. It went 3 months before I just dumped it out tonight. I have a small air pump sponge filter Im going to try it with next.
Bropez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #23
Destroyer551
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/88%)

Triops? Unbreedable? At one point in time I had 60+ in 20 gallon tank, and that's after 99% of them were canniblized.

They're parthenogenic and lay 30+ eggs a day in the sand. You have to dry out the sand for a little bit for them to hatch though.
Destroyer551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:43 AM   #24
thelub

She had success getting them to lay eggs. Her problem was sudden massive die offs. What did you do with the 20g you raised them in a far as water changes go? I've found the best way to keep them is in ro/di with large volume changes daily. Kind of a waste IMO for an animal that has such a short life span. Also kind of weird seeing as how they are found in ponds and puddles
Old 05-28-2013, 05:38 AM   #25
vvDO
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bropez View Post
I had this same filter and I tried to do a fishless cycle on it with just gravel and water in the tank. It went 3 months before I just dumped it out tonight. I have a small air pump sponge filter Im going to try it with next.
What was your source of ammonia?
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
vvDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #26
Destroyer551
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/88%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
She had success getting them to lay eggs. Her problem was sudden massive die offs. What did you do with the 20g you raised them in a far as water changes go? I've found the best way to keep them is in ro/di with large volume changes daily. Kind of a waste IMO for an animal that has such a short life span. Also kind of weird seeing as how they are found in ponds and puddles
I'm pretty sure I only did one or two water changes. I did do top offs with RO. The tank had 2 dual sponge filters and a bunch of anacharis in it. The triops were alive in that tank for 8 months before I finally dried it and harvested the sand. Although as you know the shrimp themselves don't live longer than 3 months. The eggs tend to hatch sporadically and I had babies hatching out from that previous batch of sand 6-7 months after first soaking. Hatch outs tended to correspond with evaporation and the addition of new RO water. The species was Triops cancriformis which gets much bigger than your typical "american" species, hence the need for a larger tank to avoid excessive cannibilism.

Last edited by Destroyer551; 05-28-2013 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: misspell
Destroyer551 is offline   Reply With Quote