Fluval Chi 5g (modified) Planted - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 02-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #31
Jason K
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

If you're in jersey, have you been to ridgewood aquarium? small store, but they had a lot of plant variety the one time I went there.

If you buy RCS from any pet store, you are most likely only going to get females. I know from personal experience that pacific aquarium in NYC chinatown only stocks females (whether they know it or not).

I have two ada mini-S, which are 3.5 gal (true water volume is about 2.5 gal). One currently stocked with 3 cardinal tetras and 3 RCS (only males left, btw), and the other thank with a betta.
Jason K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 03:16 AM   #32
hyunbaw
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

JasonK, Ridgewood is where I got my microswords and crypt parva. Amazed that a store of that quality is close to me. I hope to get a tank & supplies from them as my career (hopefully) progresses. Most things in there are all quality and priced accordingly, yet fairly.

As for an update,

1. I did a nitrate test and saw it was consistently high, so I stopped dosing ferts and just continued with the Excel daily. So far, its doing ok.

2. I am starting to setup the proper components for pressurized CO2, probably paintball. I got the aquatek regular size with paintball adapter, but am thinking maybe I shouldve just went with the mini/paintball reg. I thought It would be useful in case i upgrade to a 5lb tank for a larger aquarium. But thinking about it now, when I upgrade, Ill just go all out with a dual-stage, and keep the paintball setup for a nano tank. So in hindsight, I shouldve just went paintball mini aquatek. Doh! Also, I bought a Victor hpt 270b on ebay, so ill be working on that when time permits.

3. I hope to stock the tank more:
- Maybe a few more sparkling gourami? I like tiny nano fish, but I want to have shrimp in there, so i'm refraining from the nice pygmy loaches i saw, even the pygmy cories (or are they ok with shrimp??).
- Plants-wise, gonna try the DHG in the front as planned, and i need to do something with those stem plants (rotala) in the back.
hyunbaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #33
hyunbaw
Algae Grower

So here's my aquatek on a christmas tree stand, hahah.

Doing some minor rescaping/maintenance, so pics of tank will be later. I moved the wood forward to make space for stem plants in the back and adjusted the plants accordingly.

My Victor HPT270B is leak free! It had the wrong gauges and some scratches, so I was worried about it.

I also got a cheap regulator with chrome cga320 nipple & nut and USG gauges for cheap, so I harvested them over to the Victor. Im thinking burkert solenoid with a decent needle valve, and SS parts in between. Estimated total cost should be ~$175. There are some cheap dual stage regs all over. I missed out on one for $20!

I may just sell the dual stage since the aquatek is doing ok for my 5g, but I always dream of bigger tanks...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	96962  

Old 03-24-2013, 01:44 AM   #34
hyunbaw
Algae Grower

Default Cladophora??

I've been running CO2 at ~1 bps and the growth has generally been great.
However, there are 2 things that are bothering me:

1. I think I may have Cladophora. It's sad, because so far, it has been the only algae problem I've had! And it sucks because it's not even a technical issue!! My lighting, ferts, CO2 seem to all be decent. Any help with this problem would be appreciated. I'm considering doing a drastic H2O2 cleansing.

2. One caveat is that my rotala seem to have some possible deficiency. *See Pic below* What could this be due to?

1/32 tsp of KNO3 per week
1/128 tsp of KH2PO4 per week
~5mL of Flourish Iron per week
A few drops of Flourish Comprehensive per week (I'm not a fan of this product. I'm considering getting new micros)

A) Potassium deficiency?
B) Micros deficiency?
C) Flow or light deficiency? (I redirected the light more toward the front a little while ago)

3. Plans:

- I'm considering either just taking out the Rotala in the back and just doing microswords all around OR adding more colorful stem plants in the back-right (to create a stem plant section in the back). What do you think?

- I need shrimp!! RCS, maybe give CRS a shot? I'm leaning toward mail-order. Any insight/tips on deals on this would be cool.

Enjoy the pics!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo (7).jpg
Views:	30
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	112098  

Name:	photo (8).jpg
Views:	28
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	112106  

Name:	photo (9).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	112114  

Name:	photo (10).jpg
Views:	27
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	112122  

Old 04-11-2013, 03:25 AM   #35
mcclure91
Algae Grower

very nice chi I just bought one too new in box for $10 (it didnt have filter or light) any updates on your tank and how are you liking the beamsworks led
mcclure91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #36
hyunbaw
Algae Grower

Update!

So I had a bout of clado, and although it looked kinda nice, it irked me. I took drastic measures by physically removing and excel/H2O2/bleaching everything. The best was the bleach, made clado turn white pretty quickly. Unfortunately the plants as well. So you have to use a diluted soln. and dip for maybe a minute. I also bleached the gravel and excel/H2O2'ed the driftwood. In the end, I just put back the microswords and the crypt parva.

Now, I am snail and clado free (so far). I replaced the driftwood with a local piece of wood I had been soaking. I added a tiny anybias node as well. We shall see how this all recovers. The other salvaged plant species are in a small "creature container" in the other room.

The Chi is doing well and the Beamsworks led light is good. Only gripe is that it is not square shaped so it will give strong light to a strip of area and low/med light in front or back of that strip. A square version would be awesome.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	140138  

Last edited by hyunbaw; 05-09-2013 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: Fix Picture
Old 05-21-2013, 01:27 AM   #37
snakeskin
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

This would look lovely with some c. balansae growing in the back to cover the cords I think... they have a lovely dark greenish red color with those wrinkled leaves that give such great texture to the tank. Would really compliment the driftwood I think.
snakeskin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.