I am back, co2 equipment questions pl post here - Page 17
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 05-17-2013, 10:52 PM   #241
Ozymandius
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hey Bettatail --

In reading over my prior post, it comes across as a little snarky and argumentative. That was not my intention at all. I am genuinely appreciative of the feedback and for the other posts you have made from which I have been educating myself.

Rather, I was trying to communicate that I did attempt to inform myself prior to my selections. The lesson for myself and others is that you really don't know what you don't know until it comes to bite you. In my case, the result is relatively benign because you, OldPunk, DarkBlade, and all of the other more experienced plant tankers are kind enough to act as backstops. Thx.

Ozzy.

Last edited by Ozymandius; 05-17-2013 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Ozymandius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2013, 03:58 AM   #242
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

^ Actually, I think the way you post the questions make it a lot easier to answer. It shows you at least read the pdf on the items you are considering, saves us from reading them ourselves.

Solenoid:

If you haven't brought it yet, you can buy one from Betta tail, he has it for cheap. If not, call up SMC and ask them what kind of temp a continuous use 5.3W Solenoid will reach, I'm certain you won't like the answer. I personally found the 1/8 DC version to be hot but then again it's Stainless Steel.

Solenoid Pressure:

It should be listed as vacuum to "max" so if it's 145 psi max then as long as you don't go over that psi you will be fine.

From my experience:

Every solenoid in continuous use will generate some heat, the nice thing about the SMC is the mount brackets which lets you add a fan. Add a small chipset cpu fan and there will be a huge reduction in heat. This only works for Stainless steel and other metals by the way.

Oh and the blue led lights gives your Co2 regulator twice the horsepower, I might even add some VTEC stickers on the cylinder ~ joke.
FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #243
Ozymandius
Algae Grower

Likely that I will replace the solenoid. After all, why ask for advice when you're not going to follow it. I like to play with my toys so it follows that I'd like to touch the durn parts without getting third degree burns.

The problem with these auction timers is that you make very quick decisions. I looked over the product PDF and said check to everything I saw. Power usage was buried and when I finally saw it, I rationalized it because I had already clicked the buy it now.

Last edited by Ozymandius; 05-19-2013 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 05-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #244
Ozymandius
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
^
Oh and the blue led lights gives your Co2 regulator twice the horsepower, I might even add some VTEC stickers on the cylinder ~ joke.
Gotta be honest. The blue light was way cool. I also think I am jonesing for your cabinet. I like the glass in it. Where did you pick it up? It goes well with the color of the red tank.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #245
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

It's called the BESTA, retail for 100. Glossy glass top is 20. I think they discontinue the red glass panels, they were clearance items for 20.

About the heat:

SMC told me that the only time the heat will be an issue is if it's enclosed with no air flow, otherwise it's fine. I'm not sure about your particular model tho, it goes draw more power than mine. At least you got the handy brackets and it's Stainless steel outer body, any type of air flow will reduced it significantly. There is also a mounting bracket that came with my solenoid, you can add a bigger fan with even MORE LEDs.

By the way , got any pics of the regulator and items?
FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #246
Ozymandius
Algae Grower

Thx for the cabinet info. Will post my parts when I go back to the office next week. This is going to be for the office tank.

Ozzy
Old 05-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #247
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

btw folks, a no-duh moment for a new CO2 guy - when filling the JBJ bubble counter, which for some reason only unscrews from the bottom of the plastic thread instead of the top so you have to hold the those regulator & tank to get it on upside down without spilling the water inside the checker - run some gas through it before connecting it to a check valve further down the line. reason? any water or whatever it is that you fill it with that might get in the tube after the bubble counter will prevent the CO2 behind it from getting past and through the check valve. thus, running it before connecting the tube to the check valve allows the tube to "spit" out any water before the CO2, and once it's just CO2 coming through, go ahead and connect the check valve. i was wondering why the bubbles weren't coming - it was because the CO2 had nowhere to go, stoppered by the water in the tube!
Jahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #248
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

PTrader: (107/100%)

^ the top does unscrew. You did it the hard way.
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #249
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Man I tried really hard but I didn't want to crack it! The bottom gives way way before the top budges, which it doesn't. The only thing that unscrews from the top for me is the cap that secures the tube to the counter.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #250
Darkblade48

All the JBJ bubble counters I have used so far unscrew from both ends. When filling the bubble counter with water (or glycerin/mineral oil), I have always filled it up "normally" without having to resort to flipping the entire rig upside down.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:41 PM   #251
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The next time the water evaps for a refill i'll use some pliers for the top then, ha!
Old 05-22-2013, 04:05 AM   #252
Mantis992
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Do you guys cut your teflon tape to size width wise so the top and bottom of the fitting are free? Or do you squish the tape into position without cutting it?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't see any other posts about the topic.

Thanks.
Mantis992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #253
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis992 View Post
Do you guys cut your teflon tape to size width wise so the top and bottom of the fitting are free? Or do you squish the tape into position without cutting it?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't see any other posts about the topic.

Thanks.
single density teflon tape

Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #254
Mantis992
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
single density teflon tape

Dang, thats a sweet diagram. Thanks a ton for posting that. It was super helpful for me and I am sure others will find it useful too.
Mantis992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #255
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis992 View Post
Dang, thats a sweet diagram. Thanks a ton for posting that. It was super helpful for me and I am sure others will find it useful too.
actually these pictures are old and I posted them in some of the TPT threads for two years.
Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote