Wood in the Birmingham area
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Alabama

Old 02-19-2013, 03:18 AM   #1
sourgrl
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Wood in the Birmingham area

Hey everyone! Wondering if anyone is getting driftwood/other wood locally in the Birmingham area and, if so, where? I'm in Bibb-there's-nothing-for-miles county. Not afraid of a little drive. Thanks in advance

~tammy
sourgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 04:00 AM   #2
BenderBendingRodriguez
Planted Member

What kind are you looking for specifically?
BenderBendingRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
sourgrl
Algae Grower

I don't have a particular type in mind. Looking for a piece that will fit in a Fluval spec v. I'm undecided if I want something stump like or branchy. Kind of hoping I'll see a piece and it will inspire me.
sourgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:57 AM   #4
Dolfan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I would like some real driftwood in my tank as well, and also in the Birmingham area. I have a creek near me, would it be ok to pull something out of there. I've seen some wood on websites but usually really expensive, and I feel dumb paying $20 or more for a piece of wood, plus shipping. Any ideas anyone?
Dolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
sourgrl
Algae Grower

From what I've read, you can pull something out of your local creek. Check it for hardness using your fingernail. If it passes the fingernail test boil it before you put it in your tank. I didn't have any luck finding wood locally. I ended up getting my wood online through a vendor that posted clear pics and had reasonable prices
Old 04-21-2013, 01:39 AM   #6
SemperFish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I got a piece of driftwood out of Lay lake, poured boiling water on it in a 5 gallon bucket. I had it in my 55 gallon tank for a little while but didn't like the looks of it. Now it's in garden pond. It grow some white fungus on it but the RCS seemed to love it.
SemperFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:55 AM   #7
Titansfever83
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

I've got some driftwood for sale but Dolfan.... I paid those silly prices, lol! I will pay good money for the perfect piece, I think it adds the finishing touch to a nice show tank. plus I'm a sucker for a hobby I'm passionate about.

Anyway, I have a one small, two medium-large, and one XXXlarge. any interest and I'll post some pics.

also have tons of black slate! pieces range from 1.5"x2" to 4"x6" and no thicker than a #2 pencil. I used a lot of it in my terrariums and have plenty left over.

and one new bag of Flourite black sand.
Titansfever83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:00 AM   #8
Dolfan
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the offer, for now though I think I have my tanks somewhat how I like them.

In my 40gal, I have a fake log tunnel/cave and a fake stacked rock piece from y turtle days. I also have a lot of plants going around them. In the 10 gal, I just have a fake rock piece, a huge mass of java moss(thanks SkyAU), and a few other plants. Just purchased 10 more painted fire shrimp to go with the 10 I got last week. So I think I should lay off the spending for a least a week or so, haha.

Thanks, if I change my mind I'll let you know.
Dolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #9
Abe Froman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I mean with the Cahaba river it seems like there would just be places. I know growing up we had the Little Cahaba, I think it was called, running smack dab through the middle of our backyard. Anywhere from 10 to 25 feet across most times of the year until it rained. I mean I didn't care so much about driftwood back then, but there was a ton of downed trees and branches that would have been perfect that moved through there.

You know if anyone had a canoe they could ride down the Cahaba and just look for pieces, just make sure you aren't in a protected area, I won't pretend to know what the law is about all that.
Abe Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #10
foolish1
Algae Grower

ill second that. all of the hardscape in my tanks (a 75gal & a 55gal) was locally foraged; stones and driftwood. ive pulled several great pieces out from local area creeks, streams, and rivers. as was previously stated; check the hardness and boil the crap out of it.
foolish1 is offline   Reply With Quote