The Planted Tank Forum banner

Turtle ID / recommendations

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  stevenjohn21 
#1 ·
So I am in the process of renovating our swimming pool, which has been a bullfrog haven for the past 2 years. All of the fish and frogs have been relocated to a friends pond, but we found this little guy as well.

My daughter wants to keep it. I know keeping wild caught turtles is frowned upon, but he was caught in my pool in a suburban neighborhood, not from a pond or river somewhere, so I plan to keep him.

I think it's a yellow-bellied slider, can anyone confirm this? I have him in my 55 gallon planted tank currently, where he is devouring snails and uprooting plants. He has an area to get out to bask, but I know this is a temporary solution and plan to build a large, enclosed outdoor pond for him.

I know there are probably better forums to ask for a turtle ID, but I have seen several turtle keepers on here and I really like the atmosphere here.

Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
It's a yellow bellied slider and a very cute one at that !

#4 ·
Thanks, I thought so! I am hoping he can stay in the 55 for a few months at least... there are some cory cats in there as well, so I hope it doesnt take any nips at them... Its way to small to eat them right now, but the way it demolishes the snails I fear it may try to nip at them.

#5 ·
A 55 should be fine for him/her for up to 2 years . I have one now in a 125 gallon with some convicts and whilst they are breeding the Turtle knows to keep away lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.