GSA, Dosing All Ferts Same Day?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 05-16-2013, 01:28 AM   #1
dstevenson2k
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)

GSA, Dosing All Ferts Same Day?

So lately I have been dosing all my dry ferts on the same day. I make sure to dose phosphate first, and anything containing iron last to give them sufficient time to disperse in the tank.

Problem is I'm starting to GSA on the glass. Could it be that because I'm dosing iron and phosphate on the same day they are precipitating out and lowering my phosphate levels? I'm not seeing any signs of iron deficiency, but I've read that GSA can be a symptom of low phosphate levels.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,
Dan
dstevenson2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Get a chelating agent for the iron or chelated iron and you won't have anything to worry about.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:34 AM   #3
dstevenson2k
Algae Grower

Well it's 10% DTPA iron chelate, but I'm still seeing a lot of GSA on the glass and all I've read seems to point to low phosphate causing GSA. So I'm wondering if maybe the two were precipitating on fertilizer day.

It's more convenient for me to just dose everything the same day every other day, but I might have to go back to alternating macros and micros to see if the problem goes away.

Are there any other factors that cause GSA?
Old 05-16-2013, 02:07 AM   #4
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Im getting alot of diatoms and gsa as well. I alternate btw macro and trace + iron.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:24 AM   #5
dstevenson2k
Algae Grower

Wierd so maybe it has nothing to do with dosing on the same day. What do you have for lights samee? I Have a 2 x24w T5HO Zoomed 15 inches above the substrate. Seems like a lot of light, but I have read these units don't have the best reflectors/ballasts and a couple older threads have suggested par values around 50 umols at these heights.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:34 AM   #6
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

It shouldn't be an issue because you aren't dosing them in a small container, which would lead to higher concentrations of either one. All the fert chemicals would be in the water column anyway and regardless. Your GSA could be caused by low phosphate level and high light. I do get them when my phosphate level is below 5ppm.

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:21 AM   #7
dstevenson2k
Algae Grower

My tank is a 12 gallon cadlights, with about 10 gallons total water volume. I'm dosing 1/32 tsp KH2PO4 3x week, which is a little over 3 ppm PO4 every dose, so I don't think I'm low on phosphate. Perhaps I should raise the light another inch or two and see if that helps.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:21 AM   #8
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

try dosing them on separate days. GSA is a indication of low phosphate and you have that correct. avoid adding too much Fe, are you dosing csm+B ?
Old 05-16-2013, 05:35 AM   #9
dstevenson2k
Algae Grower

I'm adding 1/32tsp CSM+B and 1/32tsp 10%DTPA iron 3x weekly as well. I've read several threads from Tom Barr and others that the extra iron actually improves plant growth, but maybe not if it's causing the PO4 to precipitate out.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstevenson2k View Post
Wierd so maybe it has nothing to do with dosing on the same day. What do you have for lights samee? I Have a 2 x24w T5HO Zoomed 15 inches above the substrate. Seems like a lot of light, but I have read these units don't have the best reflectors/ballasts and a couple older threads have suggested par values around 50 umols at these heights.
I had 4 t5ho 54watt bulbs over 45 gal. 16 in height. The bulbs were no name and fixture had garbage reflectors. Atm I'm using 2 t8 fixtures. I'm dosing lots of macro too. In another thread I measured my nitrates and phosphates and I think they were fine. I'm on nexus so its hard for me to type and. Look thru

Check my thread 'safe phosphate level'. There I mentioned my phos was 5to10 ppm always. That's not a low lvl rite?

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

Last edited by samee; 05-17-2013 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: jfjfjfjfj
samee is offline   Reply With Quote