Planting Lindernia rotundifolia - Suggestions?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 05-16-2013, 05:42 AM   #1
Yellow
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Planting Lindernia rotundifolia - Suggestions?

Hey everyone, I've recently gotten a bunch of L. rotundifolia (variegated), but I'm having some difficulty planting it (I'm a beginner..).

I have a 10 gallon tank, pretty low tech (I dose some liquid ferts though, every water change). 15 watt fluorescent bulb because I can't find a higher wattage 18" bulb anywhere. Medium-small gravel substrate, for the most part (some sand in there from ages ago).

Anyway, L. rotundifolia is a stem plant, and there's very little root on most of the stems at the moment. I've tried planting about half of the stems (fairly small) from the bunch by pushing a bit of the root + stem into the gravel, which results in the following:
1. They will occasionally uproot, because my substrate isn't fine enough and there's barely any roots
2. The bottom part of the stem will begin to rot
Everything above the gravel seems to be doing fine thus far, and there have been offshoots at the nodes growing fairly quickly.

I still have ~half of the remaining stems bunched and sitting in the tank above-gravel. Will the roots grow this way? Is there an alternative way to plant these? There's not too much discussion on this plant from what I have found, but it seems similar to other stem plants.

HELP PLEEEEASE. My fish are displeased with me sticking my arm in the tank to replant loose stems every day and I think they are planning a revolt.
Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Let them float around and grow some roots.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

i use Penn Plax Plant Anchors. Had a green cabomba that wasn't rooted that I didn't spot out of the substrate until it melted. anchored it, and 2 days later it got its green color back!
Jahn is offline   Reply With Quote