Lights / nutrient / algae / glosso growth - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-16-2013, 01:55 AM   #16
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scroll_lock View Post
Hi Hoppy,
Thanks for the reply. I`m interested how did you measure the micromols just from the distance and the fixture specs ? I measured it with PAR meter before and it definatelly wasn't 40, but 120. Again, I`m not sure how much is it now. But if it was 40 before, how would you explain the heavy trimming I was doing weekly ?
The PAR I referred to is that at the substrate level. Higher up in the tank the PAR is much higher with almost any light. There is some PAR data for the light you are using in http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368 I used that, plus the dimensions of the tank you are using, and the height of the light above the tank. I don't believe it is possible that you could get 120 PAR at the substrate and at that distance with that particular light.
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013, 05:57 AM   #17
scroll_lock
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks Hoppy, that's quite interesting! Could it be that whatever PAR meter I borrowed wasn't working correctly and that I might actually have much lower light than I think I have ? Also I believe lower light can promote the growth of algae, because the plants can't grow fast enough to compete with them. Is my assumption correct ?
scroll_lock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #18
scroll_lock
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ok after a week of adjustments:

Last week I lowered the light more - around 12 inches from the bottom of the tank.
I also increased the light period to around 10.5 hours.

I can confirm there is no noticable amonia and nitrites in the tank and in my tap water.

The result is: the glosso is spreading out nice and all the plants are growing nicely and fast. But I also have a lot of dust algae which I have to remove daily.....

I also stopped dosing phosphates, but after few days the levels dropped to less than 1 ppm so I dosed in the middle of the week again.
scroll_lock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
algae, lights, plants

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.