general griping & old-man complaining
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 05-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

general griping & old-man complaining

When I'm in a good mood, I find it humorous. Other days, it slightly irritates me;

How people will spend $800 and up on a fancy-ass DSLR camera, only to leave it on "auto" all the time.

I routinely throw this in my best friend's face - he's a full-on offender. He doesn't know his f-stop from his ISO setting. Yet he carries around a camera that he's easily spent over a grand on after you consider the case and this special flash he bought for it. That's the only setting he ever touches - how much flash to put on the pic. He's endlessly monekying with that one setting.

My own approach is simple; I am a father and 95% of the pics I take are of my kids and family, so I can look back on them years from now and wonder where it all went. I don't need, or want (for storage reasons) massive raw format, gallery-quality images. My personal opinion is that I'm able to get more shots by having the camera in my pocket and not buried in a camera case - so I carry a "point-n-shoot" - Canon SX110. It's just flexible enough that I can get a decent shot with the right settings - it's the perfect compromise, IMO.

But I learned a long time ago to not hold others to my standards. What I see as a very pragmatic and easy decision doesn't apply to what others want.

Yet I can't stop snickering at all the suburban dads carrying around these monstrocities around their neck, without a clue as to how to actually use them. At the very least, you'd think one would spend a weekend surfing the web and learning the basics after they dropped that much cash on a camera...

Thanks for listening.
/rant
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
Vira
Algae Grower

I tend to think the same thing about a majority of people and computers.
Vira is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

I just use an iphone for everything. If anything, I should at least invest in a decent dedicated point and shoot, probably. However, kids pics to grandparents via email are so easy with an iphone.
Jahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

I know - when faced with the
snap photo - attach to computer - download file - attach to email
vs.
snap photo with phone - click send
i tend to choose the latter as well.

Hell, the camera on my android phone rivals the p&s camera I spent $150 on 10 years ago. If only they made snap-on wide angle lenses for the phone... lmao
Old 05-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
Sajacobs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

I think the iPhone can take some nice pics. I'm with you....ease of sending pics from a phone is great.
Sajacobs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

But I would rather monkey around with a real camera because when you get one of those once in a lifetime super special shots of one of your kids and you only have cellphone quality, you might kick yourself. I mean cellphone > nothing but for me at least,
cellphone <<<<<<<<<<<<< real camera.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Hahahaha...hmmm....is called....hmmm.....I don't know what it is called. Just wait until they think they can shoot paid gigs. FYI, "P" mode stands for professional.

Canon Pimp Club #005

Last edited by tetra73; 05-15-2013 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: typo
tetra73 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #8
Chulios66
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

That much for a camera? Guess they didn't know what they where thinking
Chulios66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #9
zackariah
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default Re: general griping & old-man complaining

I just dropped a grand on a Nikon 5200 and extra lenses. I am going to take a photography class though. I can't wait to see the pics I will get with it. But I do agree that some people are silly with tech they can't use. Especially TVs. Brighter is not better people.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #10
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

In the worst case, they will quickly lose interesting in photography and would only showcase their toys in special occasions. Yes, an Iphone or a simple point and shoot is more for them. But they want to play photographer... On the good side, they may take interest in the art of photography and beginning to pursue it.

Just for the record, this is what I shoot for leisure...it didn't even cost me over $700...

My favorite shot from yesterday, with the camera above.

With the actual bike race, I was shooting with my Canon 1dmarkIII.

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 12:04 AM   #11
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
But I would rather monkey around with a real camera because when you get one of those once in a lifetime super special shots of one of your kids and you only have cellphone quality, you might kick yourself. I mean cellphone > nothing but for me at least,
cellphone <<<<<<<<<<<<< real camera.

I have very very few pictures of my kids and family.
I would rather spend my time enjoying a baseball game, going to the park, the zoo whatever than trying to record those moments.

And then there is the fabricated moments, when you take your 1 or 2 year old somewhere and they ball their eyes out the whole time and puke. Then you spend 10 minutes trying to get everyone to smile in sync so you can think back and pretend you literally had a Kodak moment.

I don't think the quality of the picture has anything to do with the quality of the memory.

Here is one of my favorite photos. My daughter being chased by a goat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1593.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	143378  

dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 01:07 AM   #12
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprais1 View Post
I don't think the quality of the picture has anything to do with the quality of the memory.
Maybe not, but if I can help it I'd like the quality of the photo to match the quality of the memory. Since I can, I'm happy with that.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 01:56 AM   #13
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Maybe not, but if I can help it I'd like the quality of the photo to match the quality of the memory. Since I can, I'm happy with that.
I can agree with that.

and I'll add in that I'm completely biased and subjective.
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 03:00 AM   #14
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

that's a cool pic w/ the goat chasing your kid - made me smile and it's not even my kid! (or goat! lmao)
Old 05-16-2013, 04:15 AM   #15
Vira
Algae Grower

The way I describe a more professional camera is the same way I would describe my art toolbox. I used to carry around a toolbox with charcoals, erasers, rolled parchment, sketchbooks and hairspray so a camera with different lenses and a tripod would be like new erasers, willow or pressed charcoal and a fancy canvas. It may be more work for a shot but the medium (camera/cell/paint/etc) expresses the same thing far differently. It's just a different way of capturing the moment. I'm not a photographer at all but a person with Gimp or Photoshop or paint or autocad or sketchup isn't a graphical designer or architect either. It's a tool and some people use it and some people don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprais1 View Post
I have very very few pictures of my kids and family.
I would rather spend my time enjoying a baseball game, going to the park, the zoo whatever than trying to record those moments.
Oh and not to pick on you, but your comment is a good example. If I rephrase this to "I would rather spend my time enjoying a baseball game, going to the park, the zoo whatever than playing with a fish tank." How would you look at this? I would say...Ok that's your hobby and your thing. Right? I don't think that putting a point in shoot meant for quick pics is in the same league or purpose as a pro camera. Different mediums and different tools meant for different jobs. A hammer vs a screwdriver.

I do still feel a little miffed though when someone spends a few thousand for a gaming laptop with a special logo and uses it just for email and facebook.

Last edited by Vira; 05-16-2013 at 04:19 AM.. Reason: added info
Vira is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.