quarantine tank, what filter?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-15-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
planted-tank
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

quarantine tank, what filter?

I have read several posts on what size quarantine tank to setup and how to, but what I am not clear about is filter.

I have come down to 3 options?

2 types of HOB filter, one or the other, not both, using Filter Max Prefilter II

Aquaclear 30

Fluval C2 -Series Power Filter

Or

Maxi-Jet PRO 400 with Filter Max Prefilter II or Hydro Sponge PRO III, would either of those work?

I plan to keep this tank setup 24/7, bare bottom, heater.

Thanks
planted-tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 12:52 AM   #2
James M
Planted Tank Obsessed

Simple sponge filter is the best in my experience
James M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:03 AM   #3
planted-tank
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M View Post
Simple sponge filter is the best in my experience
That what I was thinking with power head? I need something that not going to be loud as only place I have to put the tank is a room off my bedroom, so cannot be loud
Old 05-15-2013, 01:21 AM   #4
James M
Planted Tank Obsessed

Air driven sponges seem to be the most bang for the buck.
Or a tiny power head - I haven't shopped for them in a while so not sure what's out there as far as very small power heads however.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:01 AM   #5
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

I like the Aquaclear product line, but any HOB filter would probably be just fine.
If you buy a fish that wants more water movement, add something. (Maybe the smallest Koralia or equal) If you buy fish that prefer calmer water, then the HOB filter is enough.

Remember that the Q-tank will usually not have a full compliment of fish. When you buy new fish, they will usually be small, young, and not a full bio-load for a well established tank, so less in the way of a filter will probably be just fine.

I like the Aquaclears because of the large volume in the box. I would simply snag some media from a cycled tank and stuff it in there when I get the new fish. Instant cycle. If the fish bring in some disease or parasite, toss the media away whether the fish are cured or not. No need to try to sterilize it.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:07 AM   #6
planted-tank
Algae Grower

Default Re: quarantine tank, what filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
I like the Aquaclear product line, but any HOB filter would probably be just fine.
If you buy a fish that wants more water movement, add something. (Maybe the smallest Koralia or equal) If you buy fish that prefer calmer water, then the HOB filter is enough.

Remember that the Q-tank will usually not have a full compliment of fish. When you buy new fish, they will usually be small, young, and not a full bio-load for a well established tank, so less in the way of a filter will probably be just fine.

I like the Aquaclears because of the large volume in the box. I would simply snag some media from a cycled tank and stuff it in there when I get the new fish. Instant cycle. If the fish bring in some disease or parasite, toss the media away whether the fish are cured or not. No need to try to sterilize it.
Thanks, thinking aquaclear would be best maybe. Do you know if they are loud, going right outside of my bedroom.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-15-2013, 03:53 AM   #7
ngrubich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by planted-tank View Post
Thanks, thinking aquaclear would be best maybe. Do you know if they are loud, going right outside of my bedroom.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
The filter itself is pretty quiet. The lid can get a little chattery, though, but you can get around that pretty easily.
ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
James M
Planted Tank Obsessed

Aquaclears are great filters.