How does ebay and aquabid allow sellers to list plants from other countries? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 05-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #16
gt turbo
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

You guys have it lucky. At least on TPT you have a lot of "local" sellers from whom you can order great quality plants and fish.

I live in Barbados and there is only one place to buy plants from. ONE GUY!!!! ONE and he sells to the LFS as well, so there is one supplier. I wish to try to buy plants from overseas but it's really hard to get them in.
gt turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #17
dudebro
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default How does ebay and aquabid allow sellers to list plants from other countries?

They would label it as a toy or something like that for customs and -fingers crossed -it makes it through.

eBay may not know this is illegal. Buyers may not know either. The listing may not be listed in a way for them to catch it and stop it. eBay gets payed for every transaction so unless there is a known legal issue they may not see it. Especially if the ebay team is working hard on more important problems to fix. They have millions of new listings every week. That's a lot...

Additionally the "bad guys" may get cut off on eBay but that will not stop them from finding another way to meet "our" demand for the product. Finding loop holes becomes a business method for these types - assuming they are doing this knowing its illegal.

I bet eBay has a button to flag a listing. You should flag it or contact eBay if you want it removed.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #18
Alaskan Fishface
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

I can't answer your question but I have place an order and the mosses arrived dead on both occasions. Don't waste your time or money.
The Fraternity of Dirt #126 - Daughter of the Dirt
10 gal community tank
5.2 Mr. Aqua - Blue Velvet/pygmy cory tank
6 gal Fluval Edge - PFR/cory haustas tank
2 gal Betta Jar
Alaskan Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #19
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

I'm surprised that so many have had bad experiences. Before I knew it was illegal, I made dozens of plant and snail orders from asia on ebay, most from the seller "aquaticmagic," and I never once had an issue. The plants always arrived in perfect shape and in a timely manner. Most of the time they are clearly labeled "live plants" so if customs is supposed to be stopping them, they are doing a terrible job.

I have since realized that shipping them here is illegal and I found this great forum, so I don't purchase plants from asia any more. Aside from being illegal, I can't fault the sellers I have dealt with though; all of the purchases I made on ebay were good transactions.

I know invasive species are a major problem, but I think they should make the necessary permits easier to obtain for responsible hobbyists.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #20
thechibi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Honestly, I didn't realize what was happening because nothing on their site said it was from Asia. I had to go and SERIOUSLY google. Though, I like my Marimo lots, I don't think I will be doing it again. And yes, it was aquaticmagic that I had ordered from.

I'd be so scared if someone showed up on my doorstep or something.
thechibi is offline   Reply With Quote