Low light plants for this tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 05-12-2013, 01:32 AM   #1
Titansfever83
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Low light plants for this tank?

What are some low light plants you would suggest for my tank?

I have a 12" buildmyled light and I will dose excel if necessary. The tank is 25" tall. I may add a diy LED if needed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1368322377235.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	141834

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Titansfever83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 02:06 AM   #2
Sharpchick
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

A lot of that would depend on how you want to stock it and how densely planted you want it to be. For me, the way I know there are enough plants is when I run out of substrate.

For 25 inches of height, I'd definitely use some swords - I think the leaves would look nice twining through the branches of your driftwood. They are very easy for me to grow. Just make sure you give them root tabs, as they are heavy feeders. One of my favorite swords is ozelot sword, but I don't think you can go wrong with the old standby Amazon sword. Vals get tall also, jungle vals and contortion vals might be something you'd want to consider.

Then, taper your plant height shorter toward the front. If you are going to want color, keep that in mind with the mature height and spread of plants at the back of the tank.
Sharpchick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 03:45 AM   #3
Searchlights
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

some rotala, ludwigia, or vals would look good in the back, most any crypt would look good midground also. and don't forget some good ol dwarf sag as the foreground! or even stargrass, ( i have it in low light and it grows just like a carpet)

55g planted, with bosemani, turquoise, and Australian rainbows.
40g low light, yellow neocaridina, tetra tank.
55g mbuna tank
Dirt<3

God formed Man out of dirt from the ground and blew into his nostrils the breath of life. The Man came alive - a living soul-- Genesis 2:7
Searchlights is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.