Heater exploded - whats inside?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 05-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
BigTom
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Heater exploded - whats inside?

Hi all,

Just had one of my plastic 'safety' nano heaters explode with a bang. Looks like the top popped off, and there's now a lot of white powdery stuff all over the tank and a pretty acrid stench.

Fish are out and in a bucket and sseem OK for now, but I'd quite like to know what is now in the tank and how much of a detox is going to be required.

Heater -

White stuff-

Plants and substrate (aquasoil) have been rinsing directly under the shower for ages, I'm tempted to reuse the soil but if anyone thinks there's likely to be anything seriously nasty form the heater then I'll just bin it.
BigTom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
horsedude
Planted Tank Obsessed

well I have no idea whats inside the heater but I would just give the tank a good clean and I would get some more substrate just to be on the safe side. this also has a good side to it though, you can rescape you tank and make it even more nicer
any way good luck
Old 05-12-2013, 04:54 AM   #3
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Well I hope you have a water softener and a R/O shower or on a well. More than likely you just killed of a large number of your bacteria colonies due to city water additives. I can't comment on re-usage though. I haven't encountered this situation before but I am sure someone else can chime in for an answer.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - Duo DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
BigTom
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight50 View Post
Well I hope you have a water softener and a R/O shower or on a well. More than likely you just killed of a large number of your bacteria colonies due to city water additives. I can't comment on re-usage though. I haven't encountered this situation before but I am sure someone else can chime in for an answer.
Thanks for that pearl of wisdom. For your information I have four other mature filters running from which to donate media, plus enough plant biomass to effectively filter a much greater bioload than occupies the tank even without a filter running at all.

Anyway, I ran water through the substrate for a couple of hours yesterday, set the tank up again last night and reintroduced the livestock this morning. All well so far, will just have to keep an eye on it.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Any idea what caused the pop?
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Psycofc1
Planted Member

I'm not 100% sure but the powder was probably desiccant to keep humidity inside the heater low
Psycofc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
BigTom
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gSTiTcH View Post
Any idea what caused the pop?
Nope. They're cheapie heaters and I've had them fail before (just stop turning on), but never pop.

Heard back form the retailer -

"They do not contain anything particularly toxic, simply a Printed Circuit
board with a solid state thermostat on it, a heating element, some Silicone
rubber and then the whole lot is encased in epoxy resin."

Nothing too scary there, hopefully it'll be fine.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTom View Post
For your information I have four other mature filters running from which to donate media, plus enough plant biomass to effectively filter a much greater bioload than occupies the tank even without a filter running at all.
....and everyone on this site knew that but me right. Aww silly me, my bad. I don't know your level of fish keeping so I was just pointing the jeopardy out. There are some inexperienced people on here that would immediately run to tap water for a good rinsing in a case like that.

Anyways, I hope your livestock is okay.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - Duo DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
BigTom
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight50 View Post
....and everyone on this site knew that but me right. Aww silly me, my bad. I don't know your level of fish keeping so I was just pointing the jeopardy out. There are some inexperienced people on here that would immediately run to tap water for a good rinsing in a case like that.

Anyways, I hope your livestock is okay.
No worries, I was a bit snappy myself
Old 05-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (61/98%)

Quote:
Nope. They're cheapie heaters and I've had them fail before (just stop turning on), but never pop.

Heard back form the retailer -

Nothing too scary there, hopefully it'll be fine.
I hope you learn from your mistake. Common rookie mistake. Use quality heaters with heater controllers.
Soup12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
BigTom
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup12 View Post
I hope you learn from your mistake. Common rookie mistake. Use quality heaters with heater controllers.
Wow, the level of condescension on this forum is hilarious at times. Thanks for your wonderful input.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #12
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

Quote:

None of that would explain the white powder you saw or the odor. I would have done the same as you. I wonder what they didn't tell you. If it were me I wouldn't bother reusing the substrate if it's a nano. The cost is minimal versus the toxicity problems.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #13
Fuze
Planted Member

PTrader: (23/100%)

Aquasoil is expensive, and I am a poor student, so if it were me, i would rinse until the white stuff and stench is clear, then re-use...

I don't think there would be anything too devastating contained in the heater, but you will be taking your chances. If you aren't willing to do that, then you will have to get more substrate.

Good luck, I haven't heard of this happening before. Can you describe the smell better?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #14
BigTom
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuze View Post
Aquasoil is expensive, and I am a poor student, so if it were me, i would rinse until the white stuff and stench is clear, then re-use...

I don't think there would be anything too devastating contained in the heater, but you will be taking your chances. If you aren't willing to do that, then you will have to get more substrate.

Good luck, I haven't heard of this happening before. Can you describe the smell better?
The smell was the same as you get with any fried circuitry. Tanks been back up a couple of days now and fish, shrimp and snails seem OK, so nothing immediately lethal at any rate. I think it'll be fine.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #15
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
None of that would explain the white powder you saw or the odor. I would have done the same as you. I wonder what they didn't tell you. If it were me I wouldn't bother reusing the substrate if it's a nano. The cost is minimal versus the toxicity problems.
This. There's a key ingredient missing in the list provided: The white filler. It's probably pretty inert. Maybe a silica based transfer and isolation agent to keep the heater from overheating the immediate area around the heater.

The stench could have been the board or element burning up.

I wish I had the heater remains in hand, I would do a very thorough post mortem exam. That is not just a major failure of the heater, but a huge safety risk to livestock, people, and property. Think fire hazard.
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.