Flourite Question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 05-12-2013, 12:59 AM   #1
GodofFishtanks
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Flourite Question

Hey guys, just wanted to ask you which Flourite substrate I should use for my 20 long. I will have HC, riccia, ludwigia glandulosa, myrio, hygro corymbosa, rotala indica, rotala wallichii, and some dwarf hairgrass.
Thanks!
GodofFishtanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 05:04 AM   #2
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Honestly that is up to you. Pick the color that best suites you and run with it. They are all pretty much the same. You still need to dose and/or add root tabs to either. Rinse the heck out of it. Rinse some more. Oh did I mention you need to rinse it. If you have not dealt with flourite before you will find out.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - Duo DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:56 AM   #3
owens81jw
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Black Flourite grows HC better because black flourite pieces are smaller
owens81jw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:03 AM   #4
OSagent23
Algae Grower

Flourite is all the same, just rinse the hell out of it. When you think your done rinsing, rinse it a few more times, then a few more times again, lol

I use it in a 75 gallon aquarium. I rinsed it for days and it still mudded up my water.
OSagent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
stanjam
Planted Tank Obsessed

Don't rinse it!! I have over 30 lbs of it. Rinse lightly. Better yet, not at all! This stuff is basically nutrient rich clay. Dirt. Rinse heavy and you are rinsing nutrients. I keep a thin layer of pea gravel on top, and place a plate in when filling to help avoid dirt clouds. It Will cloud! That goes away fairly quickly though. My rooted plants love this stuff.
stanjam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:30 AM   #6
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)
Default Re: Flourite Question

+1 on rinse
+1 on rinse it a lot
Old 05-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
Slippryrock
Algae Grower

You would really be picking the fly poop out of the pepper but there are differences in Fluorite. Subtle differences. If you go to Seachem.com and look at the mineral content on each color there are different values for each mineral for each color. some are higher in iron, potassium....etc.
Will it be noticeable in how well your plants do ? very unlikely as you will be dosing anyway. If you are going to do carpeting plants and they do well you wont see a great deal of you substrate anyway but it would boil down to personal preference. Some colors do have a slightly smaller granule size but not by much.
Slippryrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #8
GodofFishtanks
Algae Grower

Thanks! I have used Flourite before, and I know to rinse it. I will probably just do regular flourtie capped with some black diamond blasting sand.
GodofFishtanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:49 AM   #9
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/99%)

red flourite has much more iron than other flourites. Check website it will give you some differences between them.
Soup12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjam View Post
Don't rinse it!! I have over 30 lbs of it. Rinse lightly. Better yet, not at all! This stuff is basically nutrient rich clay. Dirt. Rinse heavy and you are rinsing nutrients. I keep a thin layer of pea gravel on top, and place a plate in when filling to help avoid dirt clouds. It Will cloud! That goes away fairly quickly though. My rooted plants love this stuff.
The worst thing you can do to flourite is to not rinse it. The content in fluorite doesn't deplete. Your not rising away anything beside dust. I have viewed Seachem's site that list the differences along time ago but they are minor in comparison to you having to dose anyways that it really isn't viewed as having more than high cation for dosing.

Picking the color should be the toughest decision with flourite, not what it has in it.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - Duo DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Flourite is pretty inert so rinsing it won't really do much to nutrient. I think its a good idea if you want a cleaner tank. Flourite has very good CEC though.
puopg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
stanjam
Planted Tank Obsessed

Bah, you can't convince me that rinsing thoroughly does nothing but waste money. It is clay, dirt. Rinsing heavily is only wasting money imo. I don't rinse at all, and I don't have "dirt" issues. If you are afraid of dirt imo don't use a dirt or clay substrate or cover it with a fine layer of gravel.

NOw I admit I am wrong often, I just won't back down easy. However after stopping rinsing I haven't noticed a difference except for healthier rooted plants that establish good roots early. Within a week my rooted plants all have very deep, strong roots. No tabs yet. They aren't needed.

Guess rinse if you like. Everything I have learned about plants, soil, substrate and fertilizer tells me it is a large waste of money to rinse it.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #13
stanjam
Planted Tank Obsessed

This one bugged me, so I consulted a local expert on soil and plants. They agree with me and gave me a couple of examples. 1. Do you rinse manuer before you put it in the garden? Nope, cause that is a waste! Which gives broccoli more nutrient value, steamed broccoli or boiled?

Look, rinsing is all about esthetics, and not your tank. Rinsing, especially heavily MUST by its nature remove beneficial aspects of your dirt or clay substrate, forcing you to fertilize more often and more heavily. Fill your tank right and the cloud is gone in a day or two.

In short, you can't convince me you aren't just flushing laterite down the drain until I see good studies that tell me otherwise. I stopped rinsing gravel and substrate back in the early 2000s when I was still using substrate gold. Have never seen any problems except healthier plants. If heavy rinsing is okay then so should be deep substrate vacuuming, which most of you say does remove beneficial material.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #14
stanjam
Planted Tank Obsessed

75 gal. Started 3 weeks ago. Right side of tank. The sword was a lot smaller then, and everyone thought the lily was dead. Even the anubias now has roots deep into the gravel. Zero tabs so far, zero rinsing. Some cloudiness due to a nitrite spike, as the tank hasn't finished cycling. Getting clear again, and within a couple weeks will be crystal clear.

Last edited by stanjam; 05-16-2013 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: trying to get pic to work
stanjam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #15
Bandit1200
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I don't rinse. I just fill slowly veeerrrrry slowly.
Bandit1200 is offline   Reply With Quote