How does ebay and aquabid allow sellers to list plants from other countries?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 05-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

How does ebay and aquabid allow sellers to list plants from other countries?

I was just surfing ebay looking for random mosses. Most of the listings are from Asia and they had tons sold. How does ebay allow the sale of these plants when they are illegally shipped to the US? Doesn't the USDA go after these people? For example, take a look at item number: 250415634411.

I am just curious how they are beating the system.
hedge_fund is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Considering there are millions if not billions of sales all together on eBay alone world wide how would a few hundred(if that many) people catch them? I suppose it just comes from turning the blind eye.

Bakshi references are always cool!
Imi Statue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
vnghost
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Default How does ebay and aquabid allow sellers to list plants from other countries?

Custom finds them and destroys them. Some times they get through. And sometimes u get someone knocking on your door with a badge and a whole lotta questions
vnghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnghost View Post
Custom finds them and destroys them. Some times they get through. And sometimes u get someone knocking on your door with a badge and a whole lotta questions
really? the justice of that does make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, so I'd like to believe it.

But does customs really have the manpower to send someone to my house in the burbs over an aquatic plant? If so, as a taxpayer, I might consider that a waste of money.. even if I like the idea.

Where have you heard this?
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Default How does ebay and aquabid allow sellers to list plants from other countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheeledGoat View Post
really? the justice of that does make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, so I'd like to believe it.

But does customs really have the manpower to send someone to my house in the burbs over an aquatic plant? If so, as a taxpayer, I might consider that a waste of money.. even if I like the idea.

Where have you heard this?

Yup...I've read about this too on the forums. They do this so they make an example out of you.....you'll then go and post about it on the forums which might swey others from ordering. They generally show up at your work too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
vnghost
Planted Member

There's a story here on Tpt I believe. I'll try to find it for u
Old 05-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
vnghost
Planted Member

I found the thread on scapeclub.org but u need to be a member to view it. It is posted by shawndoc and he probably posted it here somewhere too
Old 05-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

I ordered plants from overseas once. They arrived but took a long time. Needless to say, most of the plants were dead. One made it and ended up doing well. I figured for the insanely cheap price I'd give it a try. I'm not really too worried about the feds coming to my door over a plant. If they do, they do.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
Ulupica
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm sure the sites listing the sales say somewhere that it's up to the purchaser to be sure that the customs issues are handled properly and that they cannot be held responsible for anything.
Ulupica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

I probably should have articulated my original post a little better. What I find strange is that shipping plants is illegal to other countries without permits, yet the seller clearly states that he ships to the USA. Shouldn't ebay have some type of algorithm that automatically pulls the auction based on the wording? The seller does not mention permits nor does he require any when purchasing his plants. I would venture and say that 99.99999% of the people that purchase plants from ebay do not have permits.

Directly from the auction.

Shipping:

We ship worldwide, right to your doorsteps.

US, Canada, Mexico - 9 days
Old 05-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #11
longgonedaddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
I probably should have articulated my original post a little better. What I find strange is that shipping plants is illegal to other countries without permits, yet the seller clearly states that he ships to the USA. Shouldn't ebay have some type of algorithm that automatically pulls the auction based on the wording? The seller does not mention permits nor does he require any when purchasing his plants. I would venture and say that 99.99999% of the people that purchase plants from ebay do not have permits.

Directly from the auction.

Shipping:

We ship worldwide, right to your doorsteps.

US, Canada, Mexico - 9 days
You would think that they could filter it out. I had a few auctions removed because of different trigger words, one of them being "trade." Although that was more for eBay to protect their money, rather than to help the US customs office.
longgonedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #12
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Instead, we can all just support fellow hobbyists.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:14 AM   #13
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I tried ordering a plant from an overseas seller on Ebay. Not worth the cheap price. It took almost 3 weeks to receive and the plants were smooshed beyond recognition. Luckily they were very easy to get a refund from.

Last edited by Clemsons2k; 05-13-2013 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: i have no idea
Clemsons2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #14
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Ebay makes it very clear that it is the buyer who is responsible for obtaining any permits, or paying any fees when they have items shipped from other countries. It isn't the responsibility of the seller, at all. I have done this several times, mostly for LEDs and similar stuff, but I no longer consider it worth the risk. Through Amazon you can usually find an American distributor for those items, so you no longer need to worry about it, and the cost isn't much different.

The only plants I have ordered from Asia arrived as a nice green smear, after 3+ weeks. But, I am a fast learner.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:33 AM   #15
blue1delta
Planted Member

I ordered some plants from Asia before I found this site and had good info about buying plants. My package was searched and the plants were seized. The seller refunded my money promptly.
blue1delta is offline   Reply With Quote