Help! My RCS keep dying-
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 05-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
fallenangelfyre
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Help! My RCS keep dying-

Hey all,

First planted tank, first aquarium. 20tall with T5HO 6700k & 10,000k bulbs. 50/50 mix of fine black eco-complete and fine black flourite sand. An aquaclear HOB 50gal with polyfiber & ceramic bio media, a small sponge filter.
Java ferns, pennywort, crypt spiralis, hygro kompakt, watersprite, and some riccia floating.
Fishless cycle completed.
Started getting some algae, so about 1.5 months ago I got 75 RCS. They were the first fauna I put in. They seemed to do very well. Added 5 nerite snails a few weeks later. RCS still doing fine. About two weeks ago I added 10 purple harlequin rasboras & two otos. Now for the past week or so I've been finding at least two dead RCS on the substrate a day. Started testing daily and am getting healthy results-
NH3 - 0ppm
NO2 - 0ppm
NO3 - 5ppm

I did notice that my pH which was steady at 7.5 - 7.6 went up to 8.0 and is holding steady there now. I got a GH/KH test kit as someone told me this was important for keeping shrimp. I don't understand the results though. The KH test resulted in 6 drops, 107.4ppm, GH was 8 drops, 143.2ppm.

The other fish are healthy and active. I can't imagine that rasboras or otos would go after shrimp. And if they did, wouldn't they eat them and not just leave the corpse laying on the substrate? I can't figure out what's going on. Anybody have any insight?
fallenangelfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
mjbn
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

What temp is your tank at? It could possibly be from bacterial infection.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
fallenangelfyre
Algae Grower

The temp is steady at 78. How do I tell if it's a bacterial infection? Wouldn't that manifest in the other fauna as well? Thanks-
Old 05-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
mjbn
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Look at your shrimps mid/tail section, is the flesh a cloudy/milky white? If you notice any of your shrimp with this, quarantine them to prevent further infection to any healthy shrimp
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Sluuuder
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbn View Post
Look at your shrimps mid/tail section, is the flesh a cloudy/milky white? If you notice any of your shrimp with this, quarantine them to prevent further infection to any healthy shrimp

Yeah they got me with my first attempt at shrimp. One of them got a bacterial infection and it killed them all.

Personally 20Gs have been my curse with breeding shrimp. Every time that I attempt to breed them in it they never make it.
Sluuuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
pastert33
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

I've had 5 or 6 deaths this week. I checked my params and my nitrites were1.0! I guess I cleaned my canister a little too good and killed off some good bacteria. I believe this is what has caused my deaths.
pastert33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #7
fallenangelfyre
Algae Grower

Default Re: Help! My RCS keep dying-

I cannot locate any shrimp with cloudy or milky white mid/tail sections. Though before the deaths started, there were about 80 shrimp in a fairly heavily planted tank, so I may just not be finding them. Parameters are all still healthy, and I'm still getting 2-3 deaths a day, so it sounds like the bacterial infection

Sent from my mind with magical powers