Getting back into the hobby
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-07-2013, 01:54 AM   #1
Vepr
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Getting back into the hobby

It has been three years since I have dabbled in planted tanks and I wanted to jump back in with something manageable so I decided on a simple 7 gallon setup. Nothing fancy with the plants or scape just something to get back into the hobby. Part of me wanted to try the rock garden look everyone loves and another part of me really liked the forest look I have been seeing lately with mosses so I thought what the heck why not both since this is basically an extended experiment to get me used to things again.

I had meant to go with a dry start but impatience won out so that did not happen.

Cycle start with clumped dwarf hair grass, dwarf sag, and willow moss anchored to the driftwood. The stone is dragon stone. Sorry the picks are not the best I will work on that.

2 weeks later inhabitants added with some riccia on these fancy new stone screen things. Dwarf sag moved to quarantine tank, dwarf hair grass replanted, micro sword added along with a bit of anubis.

Starting to fill in a bit. I figure it is not bad progress for 5 weeks in. I added some frogbit to help soaking up excess ferts etc. I am going to up the CO2 a bit and I am contemplating LED lighting.

Vepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 02:20 AM   #2
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Great start! CO2 would only make things better from here but that DHG looks like it's doing great already. Where did you buy it from?///////

My 40B Work In Progress
"Creation of a World"-Tank Video
hunterlook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 02:45 AM   #3
Vepr
Planted Member

Thank you. I was having a hard time finding healthy DHG locally and was going to order it online when I went to Petsmart to pick up some cheap tubing for a drip acclimation system. This is probably verboten here and I am a bit ashamed of myself but they had these little sealed packages hanging up next to the plants that have no business being in aquariums and it was DHG. It looked healthy enough, the price was not great but it looked better than the meager LFS offerings I had been seeing. Other than taking forever to get rid of the algar they put in with it and having to separate out some dead clumps what was left was actually really healthy and has been growing like a weed.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
Vepr
Planted Member

I wanted to take some shots of the pearling before I trimmed the Riccia for the first time. Fighting some BGA I think I just need to up my ferts a touch especially my nitrates on top of more frequent water changes.

Here is a closeup of the heavy pearling going on right as the CO2 shut off and the air stone kicked in 30 minutes before lights out.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
AlanLe
Algae Farmer

PTrader: (1/100%)

what is your water parameter. mine is ph ~6.8, kH 7, GH 0/CO2 injected and I cannot grow riccia or HC.
AlanLe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 12:50 AM   #6
Vepr
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanLe View Post
what is your water parameter. mine is ph ~6.8, kH 7, GH 0/CO2 injected and I cannot grow riccia or HC.
I changed out some water today so I will take some readings tomorrow but my water is a little on the hard side usually and my ph is generally around 6.9 to 7.0 with slight variations. I did not get a burst of growth until I upped my CO2. I was running a bubble every 3 seconds and bumped it to one every 1.25 seconds but I don't know my exact ppm on the CO2.

Forgot to add that I keep my tank around 74 degrees, not sure if that matters or not for riccia.

Last edited by Vepr; 04-13-2013 at 01:32 AM.. Reason: Temperature
Old 04-30-2013, 02:05 AM   #7
Vepr
Planted Member

The riccia was getting to be a pain to trim so I planted more DHG. Even though I loved the willow moss the drift wood was messing with the flow in the tank so out it came for some more pieces of dragon stone. I added a little nerite snail to get some of the algae on the rock. Probably going to add another here soon. In one of the pics you can spot the snail already working on one rock.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
Vepr
Planted Member

Lost my amano shrimp pictured above. Not sure why yet. My cherries are still fine but found the amano dead. I need to check my parameters again tonight, did not have time this morning. Kind of a bummer.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:01 AM   #9
Vepr
Planted Member

Re-scape and fauna change. I wanted something basic to start off with and accomplished that but wanted a more dynamic scape for the long haul. Still need to replant some of the hair grass in the middle, that will be done tomorrow. I moved the tetras to my 20 long. Now the tank has cherry shrimp, some orange sunkist shrimp, and three scarlet badis.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
Vepr
Planted Member

Starting to grown back in and fill out. Almost time for a hair grass trim.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #11
mot
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Nice job on the rescape. Large improvement, I would suggest you swap the plant from the far left and the tuft of hairgrass in the middle.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
Vepr
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Nice job on the rescape. Large improvement, I would suggest you swap the plant from the far left and the tuft of hairgrass in the middle.
Thank you. Good suggestion, I have to admit I put the Anubis in almost as an after thought and did not think much about positioning.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #13
EngineChauffer
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

I can't believe how striking that tank is, really great job with the new scape. Gonna follow this one for sure.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:09 AM   #14
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (78/100%)

Great little tank you've got here. If you don't mind, what kind of tank do you have? I'm loving the bowed edges.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
Vepr
Planted Member

It is an Aqua H2O. Unfortunately I don't think they are in business anymore. The bigger sizes had a bad rep for cracking at the bends.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.