Changing brake pads on my Nissan Altima 05 - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 05-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #16
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
they are not the same size
the rear brakes also have the parking brake and you will want to adjust that if you are replacing the pads

make sure u sand the rotors smooth or have them taken to a machine shop with a quality lathe. poorly machined rotors will accelerate pad wear

this has nothing to do with me working for nissan, rather just experience.
use the factory pads!!! they are there for a reason, also MAKE SURE you SAVE THE METALLIC SHIM. it reduces noise and vibration. it is not cheap to replace. it will likely be stuck to the back of the brake pads and is a silver, copper color.
if its gone. go to a local nissan store and buy their value advantage pads, they are cheap, nissan approved, and come with replacement shims

otherwise if u have to buy aftermarket. buy hawk ferrocarbon pads

the rear caliper will need said tool.. it has to be turned in. take the resevoir cap off. it makes it easier

There are other OEM approved pads. The front is the Monroe cx815a and the rear is the Monroe cx905. Both received good reviews. The rear rotors have been replaced (not me) last year. They look fine except that they are more rusty looking then the front ones. Just drove to Long Island and back, and the brakes seem good driving and braking under 70 mph.

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 01:48 AM   #17
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (175/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsons2k View Post
I have to do brakes on my S2000 here this weekend. Fun stuff! Lucky for me I have a buddy with a shop and a lift so that makes life easier.

100X easier. just the process of jacking up and taking the wheels off is easily 7-8 min at each corner... im going to have to do mine in a few months... the front pads look a bit low .
Old 05-11-2013, 01:58 AM   #18
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

Oh, BTW, I am changing the pads on my my own because I don't want to get ripped off by my local Mobil One station. Oh, my NYS inspection is expired at the end of May. During the inspection, I know my local Mobil One station would force me to replace my pads. Otherwise, they would refuse to issue me a new inspection sticker. And my front pads were replaced 2 years ago, $160. It turned out they were using some cheap pads named Q Bend. They are only $30 a pair. Basically, I can have both the front and rear replaced under $90.

Canon Pimp Club #005
Old 05-11-2013, 02:54 AM   #19
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
There are other OEM approved pads. The front is the Monroe cx815a and the rear is the Monroe cx905. Both received good reviews. The rear rotors have been replaced (not me) last year. They look fine except that they are more rusty looking then the front ones. Just drove to Long Island and back, and the brakes seem good driving and braking under 70 mph.
nissan value advantage are the only aftermarket pads approved by nissan,
not oem approved
Old 05-11-2013, 03:29 AM   #20
shawnhu
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Default Changing brake pads on my Nissan Altima 05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsons2k View Post
I have to do brakes on my S2000 here this weekend. Fun stuff! Lucky for me I have a buddy with a shop and a lift so that makes life easier.
The S is so light that you can have a couple strong buddies lift it while you change the pads.
shawnhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:35 AM   #21
shawnhu
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Default Changing brake pads on my Nissan Altima 05

There's a few categories of brake pads available. Organic, semi metallic, metallic, and ceramic. Most expensive is ceramic, and best for the rotors is organic.
shawnhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:47 AM   #22
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhu View Post
There's a few categories of brake pads available. Organic, semi metallic, metallic, and ceramic. Most expensive is ceramic, and best for the rotors is organic.

I was checking for the price of the rotors. They aren't that expensive. I mean, why would anyone not replacing them if the ones they have are wrapped? Oh, last year, not knowing too much about replacing rotors myself, I paid the Mobil One station to do it for me...$350+. Hahaha...I know I was ripped off. Apparently, my car's previous owner has resurfaced the rear rotor many times. During the inspection, they won't let my car passed unless I decided to replace them.

Canon Pimp Club #005
Old 05-12-2013, 01:34 AM   #23
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
I was checking for the price of the rotors. They aren't that expensive. I mean, why would anyone not replacing them if the ones they have are wrapped? Oh, last year, not knowing too much about replacing rotors myself, I paid the Mobil One station to do it for me...$350+. Hahaha...I know I was ripped off. Apparently, my car's previous owner has resurfaced the rear rotor many times. During the inspection, they won't let my car passed unless I decided to replace them.
why would u replace rotors if they can be resurfaced? generally it can be done 3 times before replacing them

buying cheap pot metal rotors will end up warping twice as fast
keep that in mind as well
Old 05-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #24
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
use the factory pads!!! they are there for a reason,
i'm not trying to start a flame war, I've just never seen a DIY'er recommend OEM brake pads before... what's the reason??
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #25
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheeledGoat View Post
i'm not trying to start a flame war, I've just never seen a DIY'er recommend OEM brake pads before... what's the reason??

Something tells me HD works in the car dealership. FYI, I also replaced my front struts with none-Nissan parts about a year ago. They are made by Monroe too. No problems and much cheaper.

Canon Pimp Club #005
Old 05-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #26
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
why would u replace rotors if they can be resurfaced? generally it can be done 3 times before replacing them

buying cheap pot metal rotors will end up warping twice as fast
keep that in mind as well
Rotor warp is a myth. More technically accurate is "Brake Judder due to uneven film transfer".

Also, it's more expensive to have rotors turned down here in Jacksonville than it is to just buy the cheap replacement rotors. I've had fairly good success with the Wearever brand rotors on everything from my old Saturn SL2 to my Ford F150 and most recently, my Ford Mustang.
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #27
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gSTiTcH View Post
Rotor warp is a myth. More technically accurate is "Brake Judder due to uneven film transfer".

Also, it's more expensive to have rotors turned down here in Jacksonville than it is to just buy the cheap replacement rotors. I've had fairly good success with the Wearever brand rotors on everything from my old Saturn SL2 to my Ford F150 and most recently, my Ford Mustang.

Well, how much it costs to resurface your rotor? $20 to $25?? You can get a new one for around $40 on average. Even under $25 if you don't want anything fancy. And how many times you have to resurface the rotor? 3 times? With the cost to resurface 3 times, you can get a new rotor.

Canon Pimp Club #005
Old 05-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #28
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (175/100%)

IME, lots of places dont have the equipment nor expertise to resurface so they would prefer to do a replacement. Going with factory parts ensure fitment and expected wear and performance.

I had a bad experience with a 93 Camry going through a few iterations of pads and rotors to address squeeling. Good ole Stock pads and rotors fit the bill in the end but bear in mind. With that said there are some awesome After market options offering improved performance, lower brake dust and what not. Just bear in mind that performance often will be as good as the lowest common denominator.

If you replace rotors without using new pads, or vice versa, or change out bushings while leaving out the rest... this philosophy sort of applies in most applications.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #29
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Its not worth it to turn rotors honestly. You can get new ones for only a little more money. And gSTiTcH is correct that most brake juddering is due to uneven pad material transfer to the the rotor face. Thats the issue I had with my rotors I just replaced yesterday. This will happen if you overheat your brakes and then either pull the parking brake or keep the brakes engaged while they are cooling down. The hot pad material (which is softer from the heat) will stick to the rotor face in that one spot and create the vibrations when applying the brakes.

I went with OEM pads for a number of reasons. First is that they were the cheapest I could find (that weren't total pieces of crud). Second is because they are actually really good pads for daily driving and dust a lot less than any other aftermarket ones that perform on the same level. Not all OEM pads are going to be a good option, but a lot of the time they are just fine. Better than Autozoo specials...
Old 05-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #30
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Well, how much it costs to resurface your rotor? $20 to $25?? You can get a new one for around $40 on average. Even under $25 if you don't want anything fancy. And how many times you have to resurface the rotor? 3 times? With the cost to resurface 3 times, you can get a new rotor.
Around here, they usually want about $20 to resurface.

On my mustang, the front rotors are $33. The rears are $25.

New rotors have warranty periods of around 2 years. Resurfaced rotors are at your own risk. You hope they do it right. When I had my flywheel resurfaced for the clutch job, they screwed up bad enough that I had to either shim the flywheel (the shop's recommendation) or change the cable system to allow better adjustment.

Your car, your money. For the time, effort, and money involved, I just replace rotors rather than resurfacing.
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote