weird worm on my oebt - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 03-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #16
shrimpster
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

It's nice to know I'm not the only one.

I guess I dosed the whole tank because these were new shrimp to me and I wasn't sure if more than one had it/would come down w/it. I figured if it worked on the one worm any others present would be killed as well.

I have a h.o.t. breeder i'll put her in after the salt dip. I'll have to move someone first.

From what I've read, horsehair worms are a type of nematode, so broken off bits should be just that and not capable of regenerating missing body parts like planaria can, but better safe than sorry.
shrimpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #17
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Any updates on this?

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #18
shrimpster
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

I do indeed have an update.

I got slammed w/work over the weekend and haven't had time to post.

The affected oebt female molted either saturday night or sunday morning after the h20 change cuz when I went to net her the next day the worm was gone. Also, there were two new molts in the tank sunday morning, one a blueberry and the other an oebt.

I couldn't find any evidence of a worm in either molt, but removed them anyway. Couldn't find a worm anywhere else either....sooo I decided just to keep an eye on the tank.

Later on Sunday afternoon, I noticed the worm on a blueberry female in exactly the same spot as the oebt--on the rostrum!!

It's on now I'm thinking and prepare the dip while I'm watching nascar/watching my daughter. I get back to the tank an hour or so later to get the blueberry and I can't find the worm. Confused (did I really see it there?), p.o.'ed I hadn't just netted her right then, I then start netting and checking every shrimp in the tank.

It has vanished. Can't find it. I don't know if the new victim shrimp cleaned it off, if another shrimp helped, or it was too weak to re-attach properly from the fenbendazole, or???. I am mystified/over-joyed/feel like I should have bought a lottery ticket that day.

The worm was not visible on the oebt's when I received them from the shipper. The tank they went into is my transition tank. It had at the time some wild tigers, the blueberries, a few crystals, a few amanos. The worm could have come from any of the wild shrimp in there very easily.

If the worm itself could be identified, it would be easier to know how it could have been vectored into the tank and in what form (egg, larvae, cyst, h20 contamination or transfer from source h20, etc.).

I did have a couple of mysterious tiger deaths two weeks or so before this, but can't imagine it not being visible on another shrimp because of the way it (worm) flipped around.

My berried blueberry birthed during the initial dosing of the fenbendazole. I thought that she had gotten stressed and dropped/ate the eggs. I have seen several babies cruising around the tank since. I found two dead ones under a leaf, but that has been it so far. Also, the berried oebt did not drop her eggs and still has them

The planaria are gone, the nuisance snails remain except for a few of the pond snails. I weighed my dose using a scale accurate to .01g.

All of the shrimp in this tank will be transitioned out to their homes after a new waiting period, and I will then change the substrate and sterilize the tank and start it back up. It's kinda funny how things work out sometimes. I have been wanting to change the substrate in this tank anyway, and now I have a real reason lol.
shrimpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 01:54 AM   #19
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

That's great news for you how it sorted itself out!

I guess one word of warning, from what I saw on my tiger the worm could fully withdraw into the shrimp. But the shrimp acted very very strangely through the entire infestation.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:38 AM   #20
Buff Daddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)

I was watching my OEBT/PFR 10G this past weekend, I noticed a white wiggler about 1/8" or so in the flow from a filter. I last dosed this tank about 4 months ago due to seeing the same type of white worm. They are a single strand (at least without using a magnifying glass) and aren't apparently prolific. At least I hope they aren't.

I also found one of my PFRs with a substantial hole in the side of her carapace this afternoon when I went to dose the tank with fenbendazole. I can see parts moving inside her body, but she doesn't appear in distress. I dosed the tank with ~.25 gm... about 2.5 times the recommended dose. I plan on a 1/4gm a day for 4 days, since I have babies due any day.

Does anyone know if the hole could be worm related? Yeah, I don't have any pics... yet that is. The hole is oval, uniform, ~1/8" long and not ragged looking. Unfortunately, the PFR is absolutely gorgeous otherwise, and one of my best.

Fluval Ebi Pimp #29
Buff Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 01:53 AM   #21
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

I remember reading someone else having an issue with a hole in their RCS carapace as well. It was parasite related too if I remember. The movement you see inside could just be their digestive track working though so I don't want to scare you. I guess just keep an eye out on it for the next couple of days and look for changes in behaviour.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #22
trueblu8
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I know it's an old thread, but what ever happened Buff Daddy?
trueblu8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #23
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

He hasn't been here since 06-29-2012
Old 05-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #24
trueblu8
Algae Grower

Oops. Thanks Soothing Shrimp. Any ideas what these worms are?
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130505_134718.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	138434

Name:	20130505_134751.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	138442

Name:	20130505_134915.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	138450

Name:	20130505_141610.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	138458

Last edited by trueblu8; 05-06-2013 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: Added pics.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #25
Shrimpfreak
Algae Grower

Are the worms only on the shrimp or do they swim around in the tank and move through the sand too?
Shrimpfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #26
trueblu8
Algae Grower

I saw one swimming through the tank one time. But somebody told me that was just a nematode.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #27
Spacedodo

Hi,

I'm new here. I'm French so sorry for the quality of my English ^ ^

This is Scutariellas. These are small innocuous parasites in small numbers. I did an article that you can translate directly to my blog.

http://spacedodo-and-shrimps.blogspo...tariellas.html

There are specific parasites or to heteropodas or for tiger, but they do not seem to have reached the other caridinas.

Not need treatment, simple enough water changes. Water is changed and exuviae were removed (exuviae contain eggs).
Spacedodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #28
trueblu8
Algae Grower

Interesting. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.