90 Gallon Planted Tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #16
planted-tank
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Anyone have any thoughts on where to put drains? Since I will have 2 canister filters, I was thinking about one on the far right and one on the far left. Just found out my canisters and the rest of the equipment will be in on Monday.
planted-tank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #17
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Generally most people on here refer to the part that's sucks up te water as the intake or inflows and the spray bars or parts that shoot out as the outflows.
As far as placement goes, you have to think of the end goal of why you are placing then where you are placing them. Our goal in planted tanks is to have "well circulated" tanks where there is a good bit of flow throughout the entire tank. This provides co2 and fertilizer enriched water to all the plants in the tank. This promotes the most robust plant growth and deters algae growth in the low flow spots.
This is not to say, however, that you aren't going to have higher flow rates where the spray bars actually point. I just wanted to point out our main objective.
I would recommend putting the inflows wherever your spray bars don't directly point. Meaning if you put one spray bar on the back and one on the right side pointing left, then I would definitely put an intake in the back right corner since it doesn't have any direct flow in that direction. Although the pull of the intake isn't as "powerful" in the sense that it pulls water from all directions, one mustn't rule out that the pull will still provide some flow. I would then probably put the second intake on the left corner.
Another thing to consider is making sure that being that you have your heater run on only one filter, make sure that you don't make two separate closed systems. Meaning- if your heater filter spray bar is on the right side point to the left, I would put that intake on the right back corner. That way the other filter will suck up the heated water from its intake in the back left corner and further disperse it. This probably doesn't matter all that that much but it definitely can only help. It's better to have one long path of flow sort of like a winding racetrack as opposed to two circular tracks. If this doesn't make sense ill try to explain it a little better.

Joshua

Last edited by pianofish; 05-11-2013 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: Fixed
pianofish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 01:25 AM   #18
planted-tank
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianofish View Post
Generally most people on here refer to the part that's sucks up te water as the intake or inflows and the spray bars or parts that shoot out as the outflows.
As far as placement goes, you have to think of the end goal of why you are placing then where you are placing them. Our goal in planted tanks is to have "well circulated" tanks where there is a good bit of flow throughout the entire tank. This provides co2 and fertilizer enriched water to all the plants in the tank. This promotes the most robust plant growth and deters algae growth in the low flow spots.
This is not to say, however, that you aren't going to have higher flow rates where the spray bars actually point. I just wanted to point out our main objective.
I would recommend putting the inflows wherever your spray bars don't directly point. Meaning if you put one spray bar on the back and one on the right side pointing left, then I would definitely put an intake in the back right corner since it doesn't have any direct flow in that direction. Although the pull of the intake isn't as "powerful" in the sense that it pulls water from all directions, one mustn't rule out that the pull will still provide some flow. I would then probably put the second intake on the left corner.
Another thing to consider is making sure that being that you have your heater run on only one filter, make sure that you don't make two separate closed systems. Meaning- if your heater filter spray bar is on the right side point to the left, I would put that intake on the right back corner. That way the other filter will suck up the heated water from its intake in the back left corner and further disperse it. This probably doesn't matter all that that much but it definitely can only help. It's better to have one long path of flow sort of like a winding racetrack as opposed to two circular tracks. If this doesn't make sense ill try to explain it a little better.

Joshua
Great info. I understand the way you explained it, makes sense. I am wondering would it be better to have 2 spray bars on the back wall rather than one on the back and one on the side, would 2 on the back wall be better? I wonder if it would be to much flow.

The rest of my stuff supposed to be in this week, but the week that I have to work 12 hour days. I hope by next weekend to have everything finished setting up and make have water in the tank, just depends how things goes.
planted-tank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.