Amsreorb's First 10 gallon Planted Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
amsreorb
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Amsreorb's First 10 gallon Planted Tank

This is the place I am going to be going for advice often . I am working on getting my tank set up. The overall goal right now for this aquarium is to give me the ability to teach my junior high students about things such as the process of photosynthesis without having to continue purchasing plants from the store, just to see them die because of what we do with them in the classroom. Right now here is what I have:

1. For substrate, I have a couple inches of Caribsea Floramax Planted Aquarium substrate. This is going to be the only substrate I am using because I am trying to keep this lower cost. (Or at least spread out the cost so I don't notice it as much )

2. For my filter, I am going to get a HOB quiet flow ten. I am hoping this will be enough because I do plan on stocking this with quite a few plants.

3. The lighting is the part I am most newbie at I guess you could say. I have had tanks before but nothing with live plants in it. I have a single bulb hood (this is something that I hope to replace in the future but it will have to do for now). The bulb is an Aqueon Floramax T8 Fluorescent bulb with a Watt output of 15 watts. Given that my tank is only a standard 10 gallon, I was assured this would be enough for now.

4. As far as a heater, I have a HOB heater that I have to use again for budget reasons. The only potential issue is that it sits in the substrate maybe a quarter of an inch. I am thinking that if that is a problem, I will just move the substrate, but it seems like it is not a problem, based on what I am reading around the web.

5. I am going to use both "liquid" CO2 (API CO2 Booster) and plant food (API Leaf Zone). I was told that these both work well to help the growth of the plant. Since my tank is so small to start, I felt as though I did not want to shell out large amounts of money for a CO2 booster. If this doesn't work, I will try to work out some DIY CO2 injector.

That's the plan right now. I will get pictures up soon. Let me know what you think as far as a starter tank/supply tank in a classroom.
amsreorb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
chevyguy8893
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

It sounds like you have a decent plan thought out, and it is great that you are doing this to provide a nice visual for the students. I run that same filter on my 10 gallon, and it has been sufficient for the tank. It isn't very friendly for floating plants from what I have encountered. Anyway, that filter does a good job of creating flow through the tank, and is okay in respect to the amount of media that can be fit in it. The lighting should be fine for a nice low tech setup. You should be fine with growing various cryptocorynes, anubius, mosses, java ferns, and low light stem plants.

As for fertilization, API leaf zone is a good source of potassium and iron, but it lacks other micro nutrients that are needed. Seachem flourish comprehensive would add the other micros, and last a long time on that size tank. Depending on your fish stock, you may or may not need to add a nitrogen source. The CO2 booster should be plenty for what you have described in my opinion, but that will be dictated by the plant growth . Finally, adding some root tabs to the substrate would be helpful for all the plants, and help take up slack if something is lacking from the water column.
chevyguy8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
amsreorb
Algae Grower

Thanks for the response! I worry about things like making sure what I purchase is going to work because I don't want to put some plants in, spend the money on them, then have them dead because of something I could do to prevent it.

I don't plan on getting any floating plants in this tank. What I like about water plants is the ability to see the photosynthesis create O2, hence the reason I am going to be setting this up.

Last edited by amsreorb; 05-11-2013 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: I just wanted to add more
Old 05-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #4
amsreorb
Algae Grower

Here are some pictures. Hopefully I did this correctly.

This is the before water picture. Notice how far down the heater goes. Is that going to be an issue?

Here I've added water. I still need to get the filter from the store and add a little more water. I figured I should wait though until I have planted the tank to fill it the rest of the way.

I am actually going to start with just plants in there for a while. I have read about cycling a tank, and I am hoping that I will be able to do a no fish cycle. We shall see how it goes.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
amsreorb
Algae Grower

So...I now have a few plants. I was a little confused because the packaging for the plants at PetSmart said that they had 2-4 sprouts but when I opened the package, they really had only one plant that I could plant. This has caused me to not cover the gravel as much as I had wanted to, but I think it will be okay. Meh, I guess I learned something new that way.

Anyway...I do have a question. Along with the substrate came something called a "Bio-Magnet Clarifier." This feels like a liquid I am suppose to put in the water to clear it up. I am wondering whether this would harm the plants, and should I just wait it out? I have the filter runner now.

Also, I read that for the first little while, just running the filter with a piece of filter mesh, no carbon filter, is a good idea to start while the tank runs through its cycle. Does this matter? I have not put the carbon filter in yet, just a piece of filter mesh to help clear the water.

Here are the new pictures of the plants.

Let me know if there are any changes I should make. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2013, 03:04 AM   #6
amsreorb
Algae Grower

So I'm curious what might be causing the cloudy water. I rinsed the substrate, used clean water, but it still turned cloudy.

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
sepulvd
Planted Member

The initial cloudiness is normal it should clear up in a couple of hours. I have the same tank I replaced the hood for T5 light. The light in The hood was not strong Enough
sepulvd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
merritt1985
Planted Member

I use the Bio-Magnet and it hasn't hurt my plants before. I would try using a finer mesh if your water doesn't clear up within a few days. Whats plants did you put in there i say the sword and the anubis but couldn't tell on they other ones?
merritt1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
amsreorb
Algae Grower

I honestly don't remember them all. I know I put the sword and the anubis in. I think I also included a few ferns. I really just went out and got some of the hardy plants that I know I can keep alive here to start. I am hoping this is something I can keep in my classroom and use to teach about ecosystems and also photosynthesis to my junior high students. I don't really have a plan for how it will end up looking. We shall see what happens.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
amsreorb
Algae Grower

Someone here can help me with this.

It appears as though a root is growing out the top of this plant:

I am wondering if I am correct with this thinking, and whether I can do anything to get that root into the substrate such as cut the plant there?

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #11
merritt1985
Planted Member

It's a new plant. I wait till there a few small roots then cut the stem close to the base of the mother plant. You can also weigh the stem down with a rock till the roots touch the substrate.
merritt1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
amsreorb
Algae Grower

Thanks Merritt. Like I said, I am new at this and am just learning a lot as I go.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #13
amsreorb
Algae Grower

Alright, so I am at this point with this new plant.

It has two roots growing out of it, and it is almost to the top of the tank. I know I would like to separate this and plant it in the substrate in a different place but I am not sure I would do that. Do I just cut it where the new plant seems to have grown out of the side? Merritt helped with the idea of what it is, but I don't understand where I have to cut it.

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #14
amsreorb
Algae Grower

One other question. I have one of those glofish in a tank right now. I do not really like that tank for the glofish. What might a glofish do to the population of plants in my other tank? I know that some fish eats lots of plants. Would a glofish do this?
Thanks!
Old 05-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #15
amsreorb
Algae Grower

I do appreciate the help I've received so far. I'm sorry I am such a newbie at this hobby, but I just don't know how to do many of the different things that are required. If you take a look at that last picture, where would I want to cut the new plant?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.